Extremes

kvnchrist

From the perspective of any person, running as fast as Usain Bolt is extremely fast by human standards. That's a fact, he is actually at one extreme end of the average speed that a human can run at, being the only person to be able to go as fast as he can makes that adjective perfectly valid. Probably not forever... he'll get old if nothing else :tongue:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hands HeyYou a hot chocolate and playfully ignores him with an eyeroll.

@A: You're right on all counts, of course. My deduction was not true until long after I made it.

(but just remember, that does not make the fact less true)

Where is the middle? Where are the extremes?

| --------------------------------------------------------||--------------------------------------------------------------|

I liked Harbringe's solution, but here you go "convoluting" again.

No, not "all else is a matter of opinion based on someones personal values" http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c117/SeaBlossom/icons/bs.gif

The grass is not green simply because we perceive it to be so. It has physical properties that allow us to perceive it so. Some grass is not green, true, but generally grass is green. And that is the truth.

Sorry, I don't think I was being very clear the way I phrased it. I was actually agreeing with Harbringe, but I guess it didn't sound that way.

What I was trying to is something like the grass being green is a truth (assuming its during the day, well watered, etc. etc.) Someones opinion can't really change what it is. They could say its red and convince someone it is, but that is a lie because the grass is green.

Now if I said that grass is extremely green, that is relative because it is being compared against something else. However, Relative does not mean subjective, it just means compared against something else. How relative can be subjective though...

Relating back to the OP, Extreme is both relative and subjective. Relative in the way that it is being compared to something more neutral, and subjective in the way that it is a matter of opinion and can not be proven using science and mathematics.

Basically all this to say I am in fact agreeing with you and Harbringe, even if I'm not being very clear :confused:

@A: You're right on all counts, of course. My deduction was not true until long after I made it.

| --------------------------------------------------------||--------------------------------------------------------------|

Thank you. I LOVE hot chocolate. :D

Lord love a duck Myr , you are just as bright and as stubborn as my wife....if I make you a nice cup of tea with a biscuit could I have the last word? I tend to doubt if experience has taught me anything but it's worth a shot. :whistling:

To answer the OP "Extreme" is new "trigger word." If you have ever had to take a class or seminar about public speaking they may mention something called trigger words that are meant to stir up emotion in people, usually to convince them to do something or (often in the case of the media) hide that the have very little actual substance in their speech.

Often when I hear media or people in politics start throwing around words like Extreme, I start looking to see if they are actually backing up their claims with factual evidence. Sadly, they often do not.

Other "trigger words" that are used a lot these days are "terrorist", "Good vs Evil" (or good guys vs bad guys and any variations of these), Freedom, and "threatening our way of life".

When you hear a lot of these words in the same speech that should start to signal a red flag in your head, someone may be trying to convince you to do something, but they aren't giving you the whole story. Speech is a very powerful tool in the right hands, but when someone tries to hard to appeal to my emotions and not enough to my logic they lose credibly in my mind.

"Words have the power to both destroy and heal." -- Gautama Buddha

I like this the best. No matter when or where this word is used, It always is used for a reason and to me it is used to cloak another point of view. I don't think it would be used quite as much as if has, if it were not for the issue of terrorism.

I agree with Simple Glitch that those that use it have reasons to do so and that usually is to keep the eyes of the public elsewhere, so that they can pull something.

Or maybe they're really extreme. Extreme viewpoints are dangerous. Moderation keeps people out of wars. Moderation is achieved with stable populations that have enough food and clean water, and a sense of public safety.

Or maybe they're really extreme. Extreme viewpoints are dangerous. Moderation keeps people out of wars. Moderation is achieved with stable populations that have enough food and clean water, and a sense of public safety.

Moderates neither want to run with the fox or bay with the hounds....they are interested in making sure the hunt is fairly conducted, which is why they are decried from both sides but appreciated for their restraint by the vast middle ground. Color me mostly moderate and happily so, have lived long enough to see what excess brings to the political table.

Warning people of danger could easily be done by pointing out the dangers of the policies. Calling things extreme is just a way of bypassing that explanation. There are certain instances where common sense would tell you some ideas are crazy, but there are others that need to be explained and I for one, would rather have that explaination than some individual assigning the label they choose on the subject.If they sidestep this explanation, they may do so because they know their ideals are not in our best interest, but theirs.

I think they don't understand is that these actions sound more and more like The boy who cried wolf, and the more they use them, the less response they are likely to get, The overuse of certain terms desensitize the public to the real dangers, which are blindly goosestepping behind an ideal or cause without fully understanding it. The present political situation is a good example of that. Either party rips and tears into each other, heck the Republican debates have turned a lot of people off enough to cast aside parties and go independent.

America has come to a crossroad and the spirit and ideology of the entire country is at stake and either side is using the same old rhetoric to stir up their base. What they need to do is stir up the independent vote and to do that you need a plan, not a grandstand. People have been scared since this economic downturn first hit. They are numb with it and fairly sick and tired of every bodies pointing fingers.