ATTENTION ALL MOD MAKERS!

tekhead001

ATTENTION ALL MOD MAKERS! Please, listen closely.

DESCRIPTIONS. (...)

Don't care. (...)

Garbage. (...)

Junk. (...)

NAME YOUR FILES APPROPRIATELY.

Hello,

And based on this, _you_ want me to do something to my mod? I spent 250 hours creating my mod, I've got a usefull name of the esp. There is no description, because I don't use NMM and never have used CK. But with such wording... just... no.

Though I have some left over punctuation marks you may use in future posts:

!!!!?!!?!!?!?!???

Regards, Gary

Forget that guy. If he spends 250 hours on some meshes and textures but then fails to package them appropriately, it's not a big deal. It should be fairly obvious what they do. We forgive you master graphics, keep up the good work!

Mods that change stats and add functionality, on the other hand, should come fully described and named. It's also a matter of common courtesy to support the package manager, especially if you are releasing here because most people use it (I think) and appreciate it.

I read this guys post and I don't feel insulted, because I wrote a "good" description even for my silly alchemy-unlock-ingredients batch file. When I'm done with my more interesting mod, I'll probably spend at least an hour checking and fixing the readmes and descriptions. I'll maybe even add support for NMM, after reading OP's encouraging and sharp message.

Btw, notice how I edited Gary's comment consume less space and to be more (imho) neat. Some people have it, some don't ;)

Edited by tox2ik

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if I'm having trouble running the game, and all I see is '267533.esp' in the load order? It's getting deleted. Don't care. 'InstallMeThird.esm'? Garbage. 'SnppMsv.esp'? Junk.

*shrug* will it kill you to simply rename the file to something meaningful yourself? Just sayin'.

That said, I do think it is sloppy to call the archive something like "high res version.rar" with an equally vague name for the esp itself, and no readme file enclosed.

*shrug* will it kill you to simply rename the file to something meaningful yourself? Just sayin'.

You can't rename certain types of files without breaking them. You can't rename mods with new NPCs or mods that edit the faces of NPCs or you will introduce the dark face bug.

You can't rename mods with new silent or voiced dialog because the connection to the dialog will be lost and the silent text will flash by so quickly you will not know what is going on in the quest.

You cannot rename .esm or .esp master files because the connection to the master will be lost and the file that is dependent will not work. Skyrim will likely be broken and unable to start.

You can't rename certain types of files without breaking them. You can't rename mods with new NPCs or mods that edit the faces of NPCs or you will introduce the dark face bug.

You can't rename mods with new silent or voiced dialog because the connection to the dialog will be lost and the silent text will flash by so quickly you will not know what is going on in the quest.

You cannot rename .esm or .esp master files because the connection to the master will be lost and the file that is dependent will not work. Skyrim will likely be broken and unable to start.

Which essentially means you have to think of a good name before releasing your mod. Btw, you forgot breaking BOSS master file record-mod name relationship.

Not every mod author uses NMM so we that dont have no idea on how to add a description NMM will show, and quite frankly demanding mod authors to accommodate you and use NMM is quite rude and almost insulting. I name my ESP files the same as the mods name, if thats not good enough for you to know which mod it is then I am not going to accommodate you.

The OP never said USE NMM DANGIT! He said he uses it, and he wants descriptions, which I think is a perfectly valid demand. Descriptions are added in the Data window of the geck, it's obvious and easy for everyone to do. I can't think of why anyone should leave it blank. Especially so people who don't use the default launcher can read them and get more info. Even simple things like author name and version number can be immensely helpful.

Not really over the top considering what the OP looked like before a moderator stepped in and fixed it because it was quite insulting. Plus we get plenty of people telling us how to make our mods as is.

Sorry AlexanderJVelicky I dont use NMM wont ever use it, dont like mod managers to begin with. No I will not support it in any way shape or form and to me there is no point in bothering with adding a description because I dont care if there is one there or not. I now add my name as the author and any new mods I make might get a version number but thats just incase some idiot tries claiming authorship at another site and didn't change that. Is it obvious? no it is not obvious at all unless you get curious as to whats in the details button. I dont use the geck so have no idea about it, but with the CK I dont use it to clean mods, I use TESVsnip so i have not had to hit that button. I didn't know there was a place to put a name or anything like that until this thread WAY before you piped in, as far as i thought it was added to an install script which is why I was thinki9ng you needed NMM to get that correct.

Not really over the top considering what the OP looked like before a moderator stepped in and fixed it because it was quite insulting. Plus we get plenty of people telling us how to make our mods as is.

Seeing as how you're a modder I don't believe you're qualified to answer that question without bias. And why shouldn't you get people who tell you "how to make your mod." Presumably since they found out you were making a mod, that means at some point you went public with it. Going public with anything means opening yourself to criticism. If you don't like that you shouldn't have gone public with it.

You can rename the .esp/.esm. -__-

/pointless thread, not to mention a bit rude

From where I'm sitting it's pretty rude to jump into a thread without reading it, call it pointless and then call people rude:

Btw, you forgot breaking BOSS master file record-mod name relationship.