What do you want in a house mod?

helzi

I like a medium sized house, with a garden that has a decent selection of alchemy ingredients. I like to have an armory to store my weapons/armor in. One of the things I love to have is a room with enchanting and spell making altars.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends entirely on the type of character I'm playing, also it depends on how far progressed they are in the main quest and such. For example if my character is Champion of Cyrodiil I want to be a Countess of an entire city, thank you Kvatch Aftermath. :D Not to mention she also had several castles all over Cyrodiil that came with quests. Ravenpride, Hoarfrost, always forget the name of the last one.

If my character is a loner but good oriented, a quaint little house outside any major cities. For my more blade oriented Samurai type of characters I prefer a place with Japanese architecture for an Akaviri feel. Akaviri Kojime (sp) is really nice for that. Or even the home in the Rise of a Samurai mod, by Ronin. Snow Dragon Temple also works for some too. If I play an evil character, usually a darker feel. Depending on their form of evil this could vary. Like my Vamperic Necromacer calls Sinbloods Vampire Haven, and Pimea respectively her homes. A cold blooded assassin type of character would likely be the reverse of the good loner. Something small and out of the way but with a darker feel. Yet retain some professionalism reflecting their line of work, like having a variety of instruments of death, and poisons neatly assorted all over the place.

All in all I suppose what I want is usually dependent on whatever kind of character I'm playing. Which, reminds me I don't think I've rated Sinblood's Vampire home, or Pimea yet... Better get to that.

For a Farm, which I'd love, I think the basic design of Lord Drad's estate would be a great template to use as a beginning.

The house would need a basement and servant's quarters, as I agree with the poster who mentioned they like having an NPC around sometimes.

I didn't care about this at all, really, until I finished the main quest, and then I was really kind of sad, and I went back to Rosethorn and stopped in to the store, where Ehja offered her services, and it was such a funny comfort, kind of silly, maybe but she's so sweet I just felt better.

For an outstanding example of a great attic space, the Cheydenhal House Altered mod is wonderful. I can't say enough about how much I love that mod. It could be called Cheydenhal "Altared". The garden out back is lovely also even though it's inside a small space. That's the player-home I always am drawn back to. I didn't purchase any of the local House Quest furnishings for that one, I only bought a bed from Imperial furniture, used the console to temporarily disable the dresser-drawers at the foot of where the bed belonged, placed the bed, and re-enabled the dresser. Voila, complete and perfect home.

But if I were to have one made to order, it would be a farm with a horse barn and corral, garden, house servant NPC, farmhand and quarters - like at Lord Drad's estate, Big Farm Garden, and I'd include qaz-horseCommand, horses-stay-put, and the final version of Horse Commands all integrated. If qaz-horsecommand worked on all horses, I'd be satisfied with it, as long as I could select my farm as the "home stable".

But I'm just dreaming big here.

Forests are so nice.

Just look around at all the deer. Take a stroll with your dog, pick flowers to display in your home, breathe in the warm... sweet forest air...

... Oh... it's my mum's cooking... :(

I WISH OBLIVION WAS REAL!

The house would need a basement and servant's quarters, as I agree with the poster who mentioned they like having an NPC around sometimes.

Yeah I have to agree, for my more high status characters I like having NPC servants around. I mean okay my Champion obviously had plenty since she controlled an entire city, all the guards, her personal guard, her steward, and so forth. Also each of the castles, she claimed ownership to, or at least two ehhh my memory is fuzzy as I spent most of my time in Kvatch, had scripted NPC's going about their daily routine.

Even my Necromacer who happened to be The Listener of The Blackhand, though that should go without saying. :P Being Listener is pretty high in terms of infamous social status and all. So I felt she should have a place to call home, other than the Cheydinhal Sancturary, which is kind of ummm dull. Of course I also wanted underlings, which Pimea supplied. While there weren't many options to really interact with the NPC's at Pimea say for using Toasters Companion mod, their presence did make her feel like this dark authority figure.

As for more loner characters, well I've played Ranger types out in the forest every now and then, I like their houses to be nice and small. Out of the way close to the wilderness. Also I agree with Helzi, having a dog companion does add to the feel of such a character. I never really found a counterpart for that sort of abode for my ice-cold assassin type characters though. I'm thinking a runned down looking farm house. Inside pretty organized, but still with a darker feel. I have found a few neat places like, Ronin's stuff, and Akaviri Kojima, which is just a visually breath taking island, with loads of Japanese architecture for my Samurai types.

There was another home mod I used to run though the name eludes me. It was located just a bit north of the Imperial city off the road. Though it didn't really fit my character too well. But it was really nice, with a great view of the Imperial City. It was a very large manor. I could see a noble aristocratic type of character owning a place like that, good or evil. Though a place like that should have had a servant NPC or two. I mean it certainly made Rosethorn Hall in Skingrad look like a dump.

rambling..

Edit: Actually to add something more constructive. What would be neat for a really maniacal evil character that prefers to hide their true nature from the public's eye, would be something akin to Benirus Manor. Where you get this large home that on the surface seems quite fancy and aristocratic, by all means normal. Yet have a secret underground lair with all kinds of occult, and dark stuff. Having a servant, more than likely fearful of you tend the place would be nice. So long as they kept out of your 'private' area, where you hide all the evil stuff. ;)

There was another home mod I used to run though the name eludes me. It was located just a bit north of the Imperial city off the road. Though it didn't really fit my character too well. But it was really nice, with a great view of the Imperial City. It was a very large manor. I could see a noble aristocratic type of character owning a place like that, good or evil. Though a place like that should have had a servant NPC or two. I mean it certainly made Rosethorn Hall in Skingrad look like a dump.

That sounds something like Valus View, a place I stay a lot when in the Imperial City. It's a bit cold with no servants, such a large place after all.

Still with all the great amenities it's pretty comfortable and it's walled so no mountain cats can get in and bother your horses. I'm probably a broken record, but I like the horses and really get irritated with having to worry about them wandering off, getting lost or killed. One of my favorite downloaded horses was marked essential, not respawning and he's somewhere in the game lost. I've been looking for him forever. He doesn't return to the stable where I got him. :(

Edit: Actually to add something more constructive. What would be neat for a really maniacal evil character that prefers to hide their true nature from the public's eye, would be something akin to Benirus Manor. Where you get this large home that on the surface seems quite fancy and aristocratic, by all means normal. Yet have a secret underground lair with all kinds of occult, and dark stuff. Having a servant, more than likely fearful of you tend the place would be nice. So long as they kept out of your 'private' area, where you hide all the evil stuff. ;)

There's a mod called "Benirus Lair" that has a "mini-questlet" which gives a really nice evil lair with all the evil amenities in the bowels of Benirus. Had a portal to the Benirus interior door to Anvil, which was nice. It was a bit too dark for my "white light" character.

Valus View may very well be the place I'm thinking of. I'm not entirely sure as I'm not registered to the site connected to the link. As for Benirus Lair, that's something I'll have to try whenever I feel like playing evil again. As I said in a recent post, playing evil in Oblivion seems a bit pointless at the moment. :( Then again I don't intend to really play Oblivion again until I get a better computer. Right now I'm just kind of toying with mods that catch my eye.

Edit: Oh by the way Myrmaad, here's a mod that might help you with your horse problem. I haven't tested it much, having just found it before I lost my favorite character due to a computer virus. But it should in theory help with wandering horse syndrome. It's called Dude Where's My Horse?

Valus View may very well be the place I'm thinking of. I'm not entirely sure as I'm not registered to the site connected to the link. As for Benirus Lair, that's something I'll have to try whenever I feel like playing evil again. As I said in a recent post, playing evil in Oblivion seems a bit pointless at the moment. :( Then again I don't intend to really play Oblivion again until I get a better computer. Right now I'm just kind of toying with mods that catch my eye.

Edit: Oh by the way Myrmaad, here's a mod that might help you with your horse problem. I haven't tested it much, having just found it before I lost my favorite character due to a computer virus. But it should in theory help with wandering horse syndrome. It's called Dude Where's My Horse?

Yeah I have this now, and it works great. The only trouble with it is that it won't manage multiple horses. I warped to someplace outside Bravil -probably the White Stallion Lodge, and when I got there I had the new horse I just bought with me PLUS the downloaded horse I've fallen in love with (and had since Prior Maborel's horse got killed) met me there, so I didn't want to lose the horse I just bought since I was trying to fix the Horse Armor.. which didn't work.. and anyway he didn't meet me anywhere else and he's nowhere around Bravil now, that I can find.. Aren't you sorry you brought it up? :D I have horse issues! :whistling:

Yeah I have this now, and it works great. The only trouble with it is that it won't manage multiple horses. I warped to someplace outside Bravil -probably the White Stallion Lodge, and when I got there I had the new horse I just bought with me PLUS the downloaded horse I've fallen in love with (and had since Prior Maborel's horse got killed) met me there, so I didn't want to lose the horse I just bought since I was trying to fix the Horse Armor.. which didn't work.. and anyway he didn't meet me anywhere else and he's nowhere around Bravil now, that I can find.. Aren't you sorry you brought it up? biggrin.gif I have horse issues! whistling.gif

I had a similar problem once, but thankfully I was able to catch it with a save. I'm not super horse obsessed but back before I lost my Champion/Countess favorite character. At the time I had managed to get the Horse from The Lost Paladins of the Divines mod, which fit my character well at the time. After re-building the stables in Kvatch I decided why not buy some horses to put in there? So I purchased one from Cheydinhal, and my Paladin's Stallion inexplicably vanished. o_O It seems if you have more than one horse, sometimes one of your horses will just vanish! But I went back in my saves and recovered said Stallion. I never really noticed this phenomenon as I usually stick with one horse. Even when I bought a new horse retiring an old one, it never really occurred to me where the old horse went. I always assumed they were in the stables where I purchased the new horse. I didn't really notice this until said modded horse vanished. I wonder where they go? o_O

err let me get back on topic here...

I normally have a large house with big open rooms filled with display cases and tables to display all of my armor, weapons and little trinkets that i always collect on my way around the game.

I loved the idea of doing this for a long time, but since I could never get anything positioned just so decorating used to drive me mad. That is, until I found The Decorators Assistant mod. Now I also love doing the very same thing. :)