your Gaming Story.

Tamujiin

This isnt a PC gaming restricted question. its a gaming in general question. Any gaming system counts, so dont be afraid to add your opinion.

My question is, Whats your gaming history, whats the first game you played. How many games have you played.

I go like this, first game i played was something funky on the atari 2600 where you changed between an airplane and a tank. if you know what i am takling about good, if you dont then dont bother it will only hurt your brain. playerd frogger on that system two.

Then i got a commodore and played some text based make-your-own-choice rpg style games. and some racing games. THEN the big one came the nintendo. Super mario brothers. Then my Nintendo collection of games built up through my childhood to be around 250 games ( nintendo alone ) and about 60-70 sega genisis and super nintendo games ( combined ) i had a turbo graphix 16 for about a year and smashed it cause it quit working. Then the playstation came out. I bought one for the simple fact FFVII was the gtreates looking game i ever seen and had to have one. Which led into owning all the final fantasy games and about 40 other ps1 games for that system. THen i bought a gateway computer so i could play Diablo 2. Which started me upon the road of PC gaming all the way back in 1999. I still own most of my games from back then. Even going through a marriage then divorce. And now i am married again. And have 3 kids. My son is the oldest and he only gets to have a nintendo DS. ( he is only 5.)

I havent played or own a 360 or ps3 yet, cause my money goes into my computer, when it doesnt go to real world things, like food, GAS<( urgggghhhh ) and various other bills your wife can rack up for you.

The reason i ask this question is so the young kids can see us "veterans" Vast knowledge of games. And we old dudes can poke fun at the young kids by saying you NEVER played Burger Time?!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: I forgot to mention our English Gaming brothers and Other foriegn folks. It would be great maybe even better to here your stories.

I got my start on the NES with Super Mario Bros. in the late 80s and early 90s (yes, I started gaming when I was 3). I collected all of the necessary games for that system (Mario 1/2/3, Duck Hunt, Zelda and Zelda II, Kirby, Top Gun, etc) and, somewhere around 1996, made the jump to PC. My very first PC games were Command & Conquer, Silent Thunder, and Warcraft II. This PC kick lasted for several years until the N64 was cheap enough, at which point I got heavily into that console's multiplayer classics- Goldeneye, Battletanx, Starfox 64, Perfect Dark, and so forth. My interest in PC gaming never went away, and around 2000 I discovered my first true gaming obsession: Starsiege: Tribes. That was the first game that I found I could play for entire days at a time (it was also the progenitor of large-scale, combined-arms multiplayer games like the Battlefield series). My love for Tribes led me into Tribes 2, which ate even more of my life, and also their less-well-known mechsim cousin Starsiege, which proceeded to own me for all of High School (2001-2005). Starsiege also introduced me to squads; I joined HSM (formed by several people I'd met in-game) and followed them through several other games, including Battlefield 1942 (with the very excellent Desert Combat mod which in every conceivable way kicked BF2's arse), CS:Source, America's army, and (briefly, for me) Battlefield 2. I also joined and was active in the Homeworld community (as of 2000), and played all three games in that series. Also of note were C&C:Renegade, which was the last new game I played on a 56k connection. Branching off in yet another direction, I was also heavily into the Mechwarrior titles- though I didn't play any of them online until 2005ish. The addition of a PS2 got me into Ace Combat, Red Faction, SoulCalibur, and others.

While all this was going on, I was also developing a healthy respect for the games I'd missed the first time around; I started looking up and acquiring games which by that time (High School) were considered old-school. I traced the lineage of Starsiege and SS:Tribes backward and discovered the Earthsiege and Cyberstorm games, happened upon a little game called System Shock 2 (which I followed back to its predecessor), tracked down all of the Dooms, and refurbished my decade-old Win98 machine to play anything that my newer machines couldn't digest.

When College came around, I found myself repeatedly cursed by slow and unreliable internet connections and decided to get into more singleplayer games- Morrowind, Oblivion, and others. Last year I invested in a 360. I should note that in the entire time I've been gaming, I've gotten rid of exactly one game- Battlefield 2. Right now, I have four consoles (NES, N64, PS2, and X360), two laptops, the Win98 Dinosaur, and a tower that I use mainly for hosting servers. I have more than 300 games, including several arcade compilations (which, if I counted each game they include, would bring the total over 450). I possess the entirety of several series, including C&C, GTA, Mechwarrior/Battletech, Metaltech (which includes Starsiege and Tribes), Half-Life, and Doom. I don't even want to think about how much money I've spent on games over the years, but even though I'm still a youngster (21) I've certainly been around the block a few times and play games in every single genre- save for sports, which I usually refuse to acknowledge. Gaming has quite literally been with me for as long as I can remember.

Ohhhh where to start. I remember when my parents brought home an Atari. At the time, they would even play a few games with me. I loved playing Donkey Kong. Even though the graphics were incredibly low-tech, I loved the bright colours. I also remember a game called Saxon, where you would pilot a spaceship and shoot lasers at objects. Pacman was a classic amongst everyone.

Eventually my sister let me borrow her NES. I loved Super Mario Bros. 3. I also remember playing Excite Bike and a side-scroller where you would shoot men in trenchcoats.

The original Game Boy was something I would play in the car or on the train. I lost it on an airplane

Of course I played the DOOM seiries on an old computer that had to be uploaded with DOS.

Later the SNES came out with improved graphics. I loved playing the remix of Super Mario Bros. 3. Killer Instinct was, and still is, the best fighting game seiries. The first Sim City was an addiction on the NES. I even had the Superscope that allowed me to play Yoshi's Safari and Super Scope 6. It is broken and I need to find a new one. I also had a Super Game Boy, which is a cartrage that has a slot for Gameboy games, thus allowing you to play Game Boy games on your televison.

The Nintendo 64, was, and still is, my favourite console system. My first games for it were Diddy Kong Racing, Mario 64, and DOOM 64, which was underrated. This system was the golden age of video games. Everybody owned a copy of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. This was the only Nintendo system that had mature-rated games. The majority of games were violent and bloody. Towards the end of this system's time, graphics had drastically improved, especially when you had the expander cartrage. When Super Smahs Brothers cam out, I would invite three other friends over for a tournament on the larger television.

Later I purchased a portable Sega system. Not the GameGear that would run out of batteries in 10 minutes, but the upgraded version titled, Sega Nomad. Vectorman was my favourite game on that system. Unfortunately I lost the entire thing, including all the games, on a train coming back from vacation.

I never owned an original Playstation, however I did purchase a Playstation 2. I own many games on that and I dont know where to start. My favourites were the RPG/adventure games such as Jak and Daxter. The creators really captured the cartoon drama that you would commonly find in Disney films.

I bought a Nintendo Game Cube, but rarely played it. I only bought two games for it. I left them on top of a shelf to collect dust. I sold the games and suprisingly received a decent refund. I gave the console to a friend out of kindness, because its value was too low for selling.

After the PS2 became obsolete, or was nearing an end. I purchased an XBox. Halo was my first game on it, because EVERYBODY seemed to have one and said I should too. My favourites were, of course, Morrowind and any other games that involved hacking and slashing.

Later I sold that system and a few obsolete games so I can purchase the new XBox 360.

My gaming history has been since early childhood. I played violent games at an early age and did not become a psychopath like some ignorant people believe. If I sold every bit of gaming software and hardware that I own, I could probably make a decent sum of money. I would not really say I have an addiction, but rather a hobby. I still go out occasionally and get off my lazy ass. I might even continue playing until I die. There is much more detail to tell, but I had to sum it up as much as possible.

i cant honestly be botherd to give an indepth review of my gaming history i started when i was 6 in 1989 with a gameboy with tetris ..off course

it was joined by a nes in 1990 and a megadrive in 1991

that remained stable til 1995

when i got an atari jaguar supernes and in 97 a n64 in quick succesion

since then

well its easier to ask what machine i havent had

i have or have had

nintendo

the orginal gameboy

the game boy pocket

the gameboy color

gba

DS

nes

snes

n64

cube

pisstendo ( dont have that any more thankfully)

sega

sega master system 2

sega megadrive

sega cd

32x

saturn

dreamcast

game gear

nomad

sony

playstation

psone

playstation 2

pstwo

psp

microsoft

xbox

xbox 360

other

neo geo mvs

neo geo cd

neo geo pocket color

neo geo pocket

atari 2600

atari 5200

atari 7800

things i havent touched yet :

nec turbo engine in any of its guises

3do

atmark\atworld

gizmondo (bwahahahahah)

ngage (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ...ahem)

odyssee 2

any of the pongs

colecovision

intellivision

famicom

famidisk

wonderswan

Space War on an IBM 360 mainframe (1979)

Artillery on a Data General Nova 2 (1980)

Star Trek on a DEC VT78 (1981)

First PC game, Colossal Cave (AKA Dungeon) This was the game with the Grue "Its dark and you might get eaten by a Grue!"

Highlights (not necessarily in order):

Grade school: Space Invaders on a Commodore PET (loaded from a cassette).

Around the same time, I was given a PONG type game colsole (telstar?) with three mods of play: one paddle single player, one paddle each PvP, two paddle each PvP. The paddle size could be toggled between two sizes as well.

I played arcade games next... and liked Centipede and Frogger best.

Had a friend in junior high that had an Atari: Asteriods, Missile Command, a chopper combat game, a couple tank battle games, Frogger, plus a few others.

My Dad bought us a 286 PC and we had some games for it: Police Quest, a bunch of card games, chess, and a few others I can't remember.

My Aunt & Uncle in another city had an Apple2e, with a couple games... the only one I remember was (IIRC) Halloween Harry. My cousin (also in another city) had a few consoles, but I was only given a chance to play a Smurf game on an Intellivision once or twice.

My sister then bought a Pentium 90 with the brand new operating system: Windows 95 :biggrin: , and this is where my PC gaming history really starts... Falcon (air combat), ChessMaster, some AD&D (Forgotten Realms? SSI?) RPG's, Tomb Raider, DOOM, Myst...

When I went away to University I picked up an original Nintendo with SuperMario3, adding about a dozen more games before later switching to a Sega Genesis with Sonic Pinball, and NHL93(?) plus a few others. I knew some prople with PC's and played a few games here and there (Scorched Earth, Aces over the Pacific, X-Wing...) but not very much.

When I could afford it (after school) I bought my first PC (a P2-300) and have been buying games ever since. For a couple years I even subscribed to PCGamer and really got a lot out of the sample CD's. Notable purchases (not a complete list and not in order): Diablo, Darkstone, StarCraft, Dungeon Siege, Deus Ex, C&C Tiberian Sun, Half-Life, Baldur's Gate, Quake 2, Unreal, System Shock 2, Riven, Total Annihilation, Neverwinter Nights, D2:LoD, AoE2, Civ3, DS2, HL2, Supreme Commander... and TESV:Oblivion!

:)

I would have bought a sega master system ( the only thing you can play the original phantasy star ) but i never even knew about it until i started doing the emulation thing.

And alot of the stuff bluekatt listed i never even heard of..............Pisstendo? ( must not have liked it eh') listed a few things more than twice there bluekatt.

Ah! So I'm not the only person who owned a Sega Nomad! Not many people purchased that device.

i purchased it on a whim and because it was cheap and can play european megadrive games

unfortunaly it eats batteries like nobodies business so its usuallly tetherd to a wall socket

but i'd rather have a nomad then a megajet anyway

I would have bought a sega master system ( the only thing you can play the original phantasy star ) but i never even knew about it until i started doing the emulation thing.

And alot of the stuff bluekatt listed i never even heard of..............Pisstendo? ( must not have liked it eh') listed a few things more than twice there bluekatt.

i am fairly sure you cna get th orginal phantasy star in various compilations the gba one for example has 1 and 2 get the sega megadrive collection for the ps2 which gives you 27 games and you have them all four

i cant say i liked the pisstendo very much even its name made me raise my eyebrows and i got rid of i very quickly when i realise di only played n64 and snes games on it

the oddyssy 2 is the first proper console with ' cardridges' using that term loosly

the intelicision and colecovision are contemporaries of the atari vcs\2600

the colecovision is technically as powerfull as the master system

the pippin atmark is a failed console from apple and bandai

and the wonderswan is a fairly succesfull handheld by bandai which nevrmade it out of japan

the famicom is the japanese nes

and the famidisk is a add on which uses discs because rom cardridges were much to expensive in japan in 84 th famidisk ran from 84 to 88 and zelda metroid and others were first released in japan on disk zelda 1 wasnt released on cardridge untill the early 90's in japan

doki doki panic ( base for smb 2 ) was also a fami disk game

the nec turbo engine was a series of fairly succesful consoles hailing from 1989 till 1996 in various guises with various upgrades i'd be happy with turbo duo with hucard slot and cd rom

in other words the turbo graphix

pity you smashed yours

i forgot to mention that i never touched a vectrex either

...shame

and to include the jaguar and virtual boy in my list ..bah

maybe i'd like to forget them

actually i repeated the playstations for a reason

playstation is the old gray model psone is the sleek white one playstation 2 is the big bulky model pstwo is the sleek insanley tiny one

yes i have them all four

i mostly use the ps2 its sleeker version is stil in the box in case my ps2 dies

( i doubt they wil become scarse though the ps1 shifted 106 million units and the ps2 well over 126 million )

btw i never did play burger time

i played frogger and tank commando but never burger time or ET

Archived