Crash using A.I.I.

I just did a clean install of FO3 & all the DLC. I haven't added anything else, no mods, no fose, nothing. The game runs fine, until I turn on A.I.I., then it crashes immediately. If I go in & change "binvalidateolderfiles=1" to =0. it'll run just fine. I'm spoiled, I can't play this game without mods! Anybody have any ideas?

bushwackAR15 - Hello!

I have seen this problem before, it seems to affect a few people.

I've never seen a clear cut solution.

Did you run Fallout 3 with mods & no troubles before or do you mean this is your very first install?

If you had it installed before, move your old Fallout.ini in:

Documents\My Games\Fallout3

Onto your Desktop, start Fallout 3 & let it remake your .ini then see if you can use Archive Invalidation Invalidated.

If that does not work, try the Archive Invalidation tool that is built into FOMM.

If still no joy, are you patched with the latest update? I think earliier versions of Fallout had problems.

If you have a GOTY version then that will be the latest & you don't need the patch.

Latest patch can be found here:

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html

If you do need that patch make sure to get the version that matches your game (US or UK).

While looking into this I did find some people who claimed changing the order that the .bsa's are listed in your .ini helped them to use binvalidateolderfiles=1 & Archive Invalidation Invalidated.

I have no idea if it works but it's worth a try.

Install & activate Archive Invalidation Invalidated as normal.

Open you .ini & search for:

SArchiveList=

It should look something like this:

SArchiveList=ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa, Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa

Move the texture .bsa's to the end after Fallout - Misc.bsa, like this:

SArchiveList=Fallout - Meshes.bsa, Fallout - Voices.bsa, Fallout - Sound.bsa, Fallout - MenuVoices.bsa, Fallout - Misc.bsa, ArchiveInvalidationInvalidated!.bsa, Fallout - Textures.bsa

Like I say, I don't know if it works but it's worth a try & you can always move that original Fallout.ini back in or restart Fallout without an .ini to return it to normal.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

prensa, thanks for your reply. I tried downloading the 1.7 patch from Beth again, just in case. It didn't do any better. I allowed the game to regenerate it's own ini & again, it didn't help. I changed the SArchiveList load order & it didn't work either. This is basiclly a new computer & since I had had lots of problems on & off with FO3, I decided to try a complete new install of the game. Apparently Quazzy was correct when he said that some computers just won't run it. It's funny though, because it works fine with FONV. Thanks for your effort.