Check Whole worldspace Navmesh at once

morrowind1979

Hi all. I have just generated navmesh for my custom worldspace using the Creation Kit Autogen havok based navmesh. I have over 1000 pathfinding errors that need fixed. The only way I know how to do this is checking the navmesh one cell at a time with the creation kits check navmesh tool. Its going to take me months to fix all the errors one cell at a time. Is there a tool or way to check and fix the whole worldspaces navmesh in one go?

I know your pain, unfortunately nav mesh is something where there is no easy fix. If it's of any help, the way I do it is manually navmesh towns villages. Then object based navmesh the rest cell by cell. You can get up to a good speed in time. But make sure the CK cell is aligned north, and always be over the top. or you'll ctd and lost stuff so bear that in mind.

Each time you generate the navmesh, you must click for cover, then finalize. Keeping the error checker open and fixing a few points that don't match up exactly.

All seems fine right? Nope. When you exit the CK and open it again for another session, all those errors appear, that's why I only do about 20 cells in each sitting as you'll have to scan over them with the error checking window open and check every one.

Also, all your objects should be there, you dont want to be cutting round the objects later. (I am guessing you already made the complete world)

On the bright side, navmeshing can be weirdly cathartic, could be worse, you could have to manually do every single cell :wink:

You can auto generate navmesh for a region (in the region editor) if you keep them small, but it is unreliable, it works sometimes and sometimes not. But worth a try on an area you haven't navmeshed already.

You could also try auto generating navmesh for the worldspace, but keep a back up in case it works but screws up the navmesh you have done.

navmeshing is indeed weirdly cathartic!

Ah of course, it's the lack of a global check that is the problem. Doesn't seem to be any other way but to check as you go and you have to check most cells because the autogen can make a mess of it.