how to add custom music to a worldspace or cell?

montybrad

Im editing a mod, trying to understand how to change which of its custom music tracks is playing. Ive looked at the worldspaces and the music is set to No music1 but ingame there is custom music playing. Im used to FONV but music is set up differently in FO3 and i cant remember how Oblivions music setup worked. Does anyone know how to change the music that plays, anyone seen a good tutorial or just understands and can explain it to me?

Thanks for reading

montybrad - Hello!

It's very easy to change the music in a cell or even add your own.

In GECK go to the cell you want to have custom music in the Cell View window, right click on it under the Name column & select Edit.

The Cell's info should have opened in a new window.

In the Common data tab you'll see a pull down called Music Type, click on that to choose one of the vanilla Music Types or a custom one that you added yourself.

To add your own custom music to that list, go to the Object Window - Miscellaneous - Music Type.

Right click on one of the existing Music types & select Edit.

In the Music Type window that opens, change the ID to something specific to your mod & the music you want to add.

Lef click on the button below the ID & Browse window will open where you can choose the music you want to use.

Note, the new music has to be in your:

Fallout 3\Data\Music

It can be in a folder named for your mod, as long as it's inside that Music folder.

Click OK on the Music Type window when you are done, it will ask if you want to create a new form, click yes.

Now when you go to that Music Type tab in your Cell you will be able to select your new music.

Remember that in game if the Radio is on it can drown out background music, so turn off your radio to hear your custom music properly.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Edited by prensa

Thanks Prensa, thats very helpful. I havent gone back to check yet... the mod im working on already ready has custom music playing for each level but when ive gone into look at those settings that you mentioned its set to NoMusic, yet its playing music in game. Im kinda thinking there may be sound emitter in each level that plays a music track but i dont know yet. Have you ever heard of that being done? I tried a work around where i copied the level i wanted a pasted it into a worldspace that had the music i wanted, but the music didnt change, which leads me to believe the local sound emitter idea. I can be really frustrating trying to figure things out... i really appreciate the help :)

montybrad - Hello!

"Im kinda thinking there may be sound emitter in each level that plays a music track but i dont know yet."

That's possible, you could make a custom sound emitter, like the ambient sounds, that played music instead.

Can't say I've seen it done but I can see no reason why it would not work. I guess it would play as well as the Radio if you had that on, whereas the normal way of putting music in through the Cell settings would be toned down for the Radio.

I'd of thought the music would be directional in game though, you'd hear the music coming from somewhere rather than being "in your head" as cell music types are.

If that's the case you would see a green disc with a flared top in GECK.

It could also be some kind of Activator object like the Radio's that play music.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Yep, found a sound emitter set up to play the music. The attenuation distance is set to the maximum which is one of the reasons it doesnt fade when your not close to it. Environment Ignored, 2D and 2D Radius are also set, which may have something to do with it being a non localized emitter but im not sure. Ive never seen music set up this way before but it works. Thanks again for the help :)

• 7 months later...

montybrad - Hello!

It's very easy to change the music in a cell or even add your own.

In GECK go to the cell you want to have custom music in the Cell View window, right click on it under the Name column & select Edit.

The Cell's info should have opened in a new window.

In the Common data tab you'll see a pull down called Music Type, click on that to choose one of the vanilla Music Types or a custom one that you added yourself.

To add your own custom music to that list, go to the Object Window - Miscellaneous - Music Type.

Right click on one of the existing Music types & select Edit.

In the Music Type window that opens, change the ID to something specific to your mod & the music you want to add.

Lef click on the button below the ID & Browse window will open where you can choose the music you want to use.

Note, the new music has to be in your:

Fallout 3\Data\Music

It can be in a folder named for your mod, as long as it's inside that Music folder.

Click OK on the Music Type window when you are done, it will ask if you want to create a new form, click yes.

Now when you go to that Music Type tab in your Cell you will be able to select your new music.

Remember that in game if the Radio is on it can drown out background music, so turn off your radio to hear your custom music properly.

Hope this helps!

Prensa

Just wanted to say how awesome this tutorial was. Thank you so much!