Options for tracking files

Manan6619

I'd like to suggest(or find out how, if it's already possible) the option to choose what you want to be updated on for tracked files. As of right now, you get notified of updates from the mod author, as well as new comments, and possibly other reasons that I can't remember right now. However, for very popular or important mods(Think Project Nevada, SkyUI, body type mods, etc) you're basically just subscribing to be barraged with an endless stream of notifications, given that they tend to have hundreds or thousands of comments and are still going strong. This really gets in the way if you just want to know when your mods have updated, especially since mods with that many comments tend to be pretty substantial. It would be nice to have a dropdown menu for each mod you've followed allowing you to choose what will give you a notification, be it comments, updates from the author, or both. It may also end up laying down some framework for other possible reasons people may want to get notified for mods - perhaps for newly opened bug reports, articles, that kind of stuff.

I may be wrong here , but maybe you can toggle these off in your user preferences

I don't have the tracking notifications on (I prefer to use the tracking page) , so I don't know if this will work (and I doubt I could check it properly in a few minutes)

but maybe if you set the "show user comments on files you track" (at the end of the preferences page) to off , and some of the other options there as well , it may remove those notifications while still maintaining the ones you want

I think it's worth a try , but I can't guarantee any results here

I may be wrong here , but maybe you can toggle these off in your user preferences

I don't have the tracking notifications on (I prefer to use the tracking page) , so I don't know if this will work (and I doubt I could check it properly in a few minutes)

but maybe if you set the "show user comments on files you track" (at the end of the preferences page) to off , and some of the other options there as well , it may remove those notifications while still maintaining the ones you want

I think it's worth a try , but I can't guarantee any results here

Thanks for pointing that out - those features are definitely good, and I wasn't aware of them.

However, I think what is still lacking here is being able to make those kinds of choices on a case-by-case basis. It'd be nice to keep comment notifications on for files that aren't commented on very often. I've been able to help people out on some smaller or abandoned mods that I happen to have some knowledge about, but only because I received a notification. If I turned off all comment notifications, I would end up missing out on discussions that are valuable to me or others. This has the drawback that I am missing out on updates to mods I don't follow because they will throw notifications at me guaranteed, even if I'm only away from the site for an hour.

Edited by Manan6619

you are correct (though I personally use My Content through the forums to see if threads I've commented in got replies , rather than directly tracking these . it's even more useful as I generally post in the forums rather than in the comment sections of mods)

hopefully an admin will see this suggestion , and take it into consideration (hopefully it isn't too difficult to do)

and I hope this features do at least help you for now

you are correct (though I personally use My Content through the forums to see if threads I've commented in got replies , rather than directly tracking these . it's even more useful as I generally post in the forums rather than in the comment sections of mods)

hopefully an admin will see this suggestion , and take it into consideration (hopefully it isn't too difficult to do)

and I hope this features do at least help you for now

Thanks for your tips and support.