[LE] Custom Voiced Follower Help

Hello, I'm currently creating my 1st custom voiced follower and am pretty proud of myself that for the most part got everything working. Let me first point out that I went to this tutorial:

https://skyrimromance.com/forums/topic/how-to-make-custom-uniquely-voiced-followers/

It seemed simple enough. You basically are taking preexisting follower dialog and copying it. I will also point out that I included a ForceGreet package also. Now onto my issues. The 1st being that no matter the follower mod AFT, UFO or EFF it breaks the follower dialog and I only get the FG dialog. However, with any of these follower mods disabled then everything works fine. Maybe my issue could be a simple fix in Creation Kit I don't know but I would hate to start the mod over from scratch.

My second and last issue is when the dismiss dialog pops up the follower isn't dismissing for some reason and still followers. An internet search only turned up an apparent bug that can be fixed only by a console command. I'm hoping someone can come to my rescue because a lot of time and effort has already gone into the project. Thank you in advance.

~Kitty~

I see someone already raised this point in the comment section, but the author said, "The vanilla system is persistent no matter if you have mods or not because it is part of the actual game." This statement is incorrect, and I echo that person's sentiments in that it is always recommended to avoid making changes to vanilla assets as much as possible to avoid conflicts. This is especially true with assets like the vanilla follower quest since, as you've mentioned, there are already a number of popular mods that make changes to it - creating a great deal of potential for conflicts.

Simply put, if two mods try to make changes to the same quest, one of them is going to overwrite the other. In your case, both your mod and the follower overhauls try to make changes to the vanilla, follower quest. When there's only one of them installed it works okay, but when you have both then one of them wins the conflict and the other is broken.

I'm afraid the only way to ensure there are no conflicts is to make your own quest as opposed to making changes to the vanilla one. This will also require you to create your own scripts, but there are tutorials like this one that give you pre-made scripts you only need to copy and paste in the right places. If you do not wish to recreate everything, you can send dialogue lines to different quests and replace / recompile the scripts. But, in my experience, it tends to be easier in the end to just redo it, as lame as that is. Other than that, the process is basically the same.

The second issue regarding the follower not dismissing is possibly related, but also very possibly a problem with your dismiss script. Assuming it compile successfully, the biggest offender tends to be that the dialogue line is referring to a different script fragment than the script.

First, let me say that this was a VERY informative response and I clearly understood what was being explained. Consequently, I used that tutorial yesterday and it ties in with the Deck16 one in which I do the same thing copy pre-existing character follow me, wait etc and change it to my actor. I have a pretty good understanding of scripts and everything compiled fine for the tutorial you posted in which I tried yesterday, however, the very very last part of the tutorial lost me. "

Be sure to add your follower's Actor form - not the alias, but the Actor itself - to both PotentialFollowerFaction and DismissedFollowerFaction. You can do this by going to the Factions tab, right-clicking in the list and choosing Add, then filtering for the aforementioned factions. Put them in PotentialFollowerFaction at the value of 1 and DismissedFollowerFaction at the value of 0 or 1. This means that they are in the faction where they have been "dismissed", and this will match the condition in your "Follow me, I need your help" dialogue, so that will properly show up"

Maybe because he didn't use pictures for that part (lame humor) but I tried opening a faction and nothing would change and everything was all greyed out.

I do know that after the past week I could probably make a fully functional custom voiced follower with my eyes shut with all the goofs, changes, redos and such :tongue:

Thanks for helping me see what my issues could be and yes on the dismiss bug the script did compile fine. I will keep everyone posted on my progress bad or good.

Edit: According to the script tutorial it works on a separate follower framework separate from vanilla and breaks any functionality with programs such as AFT or UFO meaning as far as I know (sorta nooby) no way to swap my characters armor and weapons out. I didn't want to upload my hard work only for her to have no way of doing this.

Edit: Edit also I have read that there is a way to do this by using the IsVoiceType verses the GetIn that supposedly works better. All I know is I have downloaded custom voiced followers in the past and everything worked and you could still use AFT or whatever to swap out armor and weapons. ARRRG wants to smack self..

The last part of the "Script" tutorial that confused me because I tried and can't see how to add my actor to the potential or current follower faction this way. I only know how to do this in the actor template. Under "Members" all you do is delete an actor and under "Interfaction Relations right clicking adds the potential follower faction and NOT the actor.

Edit: Possible drag and drop my actor into the member's window. Duh.

Edit: Edit: YES that is all I had to do now to test my scripted follower in game.

http://funkyimg.com/i/2DFZr.png

YES! That is what I wanted to see! My beautiful vanilla character with her dark head NOT working with the vanilla follower framework. So, so far so good. I am creating what I call a "template" esp like I do for my normal followers that has everything preexisting so I don't have to start over creating all the head parts etc. Only this time for a custom voiced follower. I'm hoping that these posts may help someone else in the future. As of now, I am going to continue with my test mod and create the basic follow me dialog and record silent dialog to see if all the commands work and especially the dismiss. Thanks again Levionte!

First of all, the tutorial was referring to the Actor entry to add the factions. Like, the actual entry for you actor, where you setup his stats, inventory, spells, etc., and what you dragged onto the faction window. It also has a tab for factions. I've never tried the drag-and-drop approach, but it might work.

Custom frameworks do not really play nice with follower overhaul mods. They'll both try to apply their own AI packages and whatever else is setup on the Alias entries. Chances are they'll both be telling them to do similar (follower-y) things, so it may not be that noticeable. But if you take the time to setup specific behavior, you probably want it to work properly. Where you'll really notice it is when you try to dismiss them, because you'll have to dismiss them from both for them to stop following you. And most dismiss scripts will change up their factions and stuff, and otherwise prevent the dismiss dialogue from the other framework to appear.

The only reason you can't swap out armor with your follower is because they're assigned an outfit. And, when they get another piece of armor, they compare it to what they already have and decide if they want to wear it. The outfit-change script is an easy one to write. You just need to create a custom outfit, then drag and drop the armor pieces you want to be included in it. Leaving the outfit blank is also an option, if you want them just to wear whatever they have in their inventory.

Bare minimum outfit script would be like:

Function Fragment_0(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef)
   Actor akSpeaker = akSpeakerRef as Actor
   akspeaker.SetOutfit(CustomOutfit)
   akspeaker.additem(SilverRing)
   akspeaker.removeitem(SilverRing)
EndFunction

Armor Property SilverRing  Auto  
Outfit Property CustomOutfit  Auto  

The adding and removal of the silver ring is because an npc's appearance tends to not update until their inventory changes or they change cells. Don't forget to fill out your properties.

Yes, I remember a very buggy mod that used a ring to change a followers clothing. I followed the tutorial to a t and everything compiled fine, however, I don't think it is complete because according to him you then shoot over to deck16's tutorial and all that is, is copying exciting followers and I'm assuming putting the custom follower back on the vanilla follower framework. Arrrg. I didn't realize a custom voiced follower was this hard....