A fix for flickering glitching clothing (HairWorks shader fix)

steve40

I Was having a problem with flickering/glitching clothing in the FFXV main menu (Windows version). The issue appears if you use an nVidia card and have HairWorks enabled. I'm using an nVidia GTX 1070.

After a bit of research, users on Steam were suggesting it was due to framerate issues and their suggestion was to lower the locked framerate. That is not the correct solution.

The problem is simply due to Steam pre-caching the graphics shaders. The nVidia driver has it's own option to pre-cache its shaders, so having Steam do it as well is conflictory.

Here are my solutions, the second option is the ideal fix:

1) disable HairWorks in the FFXV game settings. This is not ideal as you will lose the cool shader effects, but it is the simplest fix.

2) (better solution) navigate to your FFXV game folder and manually delete the HairWorks cached shader file "..\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY XV\HairWorks\NVHairWorksShaderCache.bin"

As a precaution, also disable shader pre-caching in your Steam settings

Capture.png

When you relaunch the game, you might see brief flickering for a couple of seconds while the shaders refresh. The flickering problem should then disappear for good.

3) if you clothing is still glitching, you can also try making a dedicated FFXV nVidia Control Panel profile and disabling shader caching in it. However, I didn't need to do this for my game.

So basically the problem is not a bug, just common sense technical stuff.

I love FFXV, have you looked up close at the Regaila when it is raining? The way those water droplets trickle down the paintwork is a thing of beauty :)