Basic scene w\ intro + force greet

csbx

This is embarrassing. I apparently forget how to set up scenes with dialogue properly--or perhaps it has changed a little since Skyrim.

I have set up a scene with the following:

1) start greeting [npc says line 1]

2) action 1 [npc says line 2 but with camera locked on him]

3) action 2 [npc says line 3]

4) action 3 [player responses with npc's response to that]

No matter what I do, here is what I get:

I walk in, npc says line 1. End. If I approach and talk, he says line 2 and the scene continues.

What I want is for the scene to play through from the greeting. He greets and then it shifts to camera mode and he says his second line, then third, then the player has a choice.

I'm clearly missing some key piece here, but I've messed around with adding packages [as an action] and that doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

What could I be missing here ?

Once I engage (activate) the npc in dialog, the phases proceed 1-2-3-4. It's fine. But it's not starting 2 after the greeting (1) without my initiating. 2 should be brought about by force greet, but nothing I try works. It appears the force greet portion is where this is failing.

You need to have the Phases set and Start on End checked for each entry.

Greeting will start phase 1 on end, phase 1 will start phase 2 on end, etc... you see how it goes...

Edited by csbx

Force greet is very wonky in this game. How are you setting it up? Are you using the force greet package, or just clicking the "force greet" box on the dialogue/greeting topic?

The package approach.

I guess I'll try to hunt down a good example from vanilla. Trying to think of a good example of a force greet from the game..

Force greet is very wonky in this game. How are you setting it up? Are you using the force greet package, or just clicking the "force greet" box on the dialogue/greeting topic?

There really aren't many conversations in the base game that start that way, which I always thought was weird because in past Bethesda games it was really common. I do remember that when you have an affinity change with a companion, they will abruptly stop what you're doing to force a conversation, but that's about the only time I can remember that happening in FO4.

I've been sort of getting around this issue by using various triggers and onevents to start scenes (where no greeting is required at all), which has suited my purposes well enough for now. I would love to hear about it if you figure anything out though!

You might wanna take a look at "Out of the Fire" quest (DN121). It has conversation with Slag, the boss of that location, scripted in a way you're trying to implement.

@Nika--I'll definitely write up a brief summary about what I did once I figure this out. I'm getting there.

@werr92--You're absolutely right. Thanks. This quest [DN121 for those interested] is identical to what I want to do save for it lacking a walk-up before the force greet. It was super helpful to look at. The only thing that's baffling me at this point is camera control. It flows so beautifully for that quest. I tried to set mine up the same way but the cam always moves off the npc and stays on me through the npcs dialogue. Really don't understand this. As always there are probably script fragments tucked into the quest, scene and actors that I haven't found yet.

@Nika--I'll definitely write up a brief summary about what I did once I figure this out. I'm getting there.

@werr92--You're absolutely right. Thanks. This quest [DN121 for those interested] is identical to what I want to do save for it lacking a walk-up before the force greet. It was super helpful to look at. The only thing that's baffling me at this point is camera control. It flows so beautifully for that quest. I tried to set mine up the same way but the cam always moves off the npc and stays on me through the npcs dialogue. Really don't understand this. As always there are probably script fragments tucked into the quest, scene and actors that I haven't found yet.

Dynamic / Cinematic camera ONLY functions if you have recorded dialogue - even if it is just empty wav / lip files. If you record blank space for the lines in the CK and then test out your dialogue you will see the camera moves to the speaker, the length of the line isnt forever and more importantly, it can be skipped by the player who is impatient...

Hey Joerqc - I always record silent files when adding dialogue, normally reading out the line so that the silence is about the right length. Still, though, the camera is on the npc for half of the the npcs line, then it kind of glitches back to being on the player where it remains, even during the npc's next line. I'm sure it's something I'm missing rather than Creation Kit fairy of chaos.

Dynamic / Cinematic camera ONLY functions if you have recorded dialogue - even if it is just empty wav / lip files. If you record blank space for the lines in the CK and then test out your dialogue you will see the camera moves to the speaker, the length of the line isnt forever and more importantly, it can be skipped by the player who is impatient...