General tips for creating hair in blender

Cynster

I've been looking at tutorials on creating hair in blender, and I found a pretty good all-around tutorial (I made a simple person), but I don't think I'm quite getting it with shaping hair.

If you have any tips for the beginner hair mesh maker, what would they be?

What shape do you start out with and what tools do you use to transform it? I saw an interesting hair tutorial for another game where they "combed" the hair particles, rather than making a single shape. Would that work in oblivion? Do you have to watch out for the shapes going through each other?

Anything else, just general tips, or links to a good tutorial would be so nice :3 I have to go to work now, but I'll be back tonight to check up on your ideas and comment then.

Thanks a million!

Tip 1: Use lots of box shapes to begin with and make sure they are all even and not sticking even a little bit out from each other. You can tell if the border line is dotted that they are equal.

`-_ shape will not connect correctly when you add a surf layer.

||||| will connect into each other, making it easier to edit.

You can do something like:

||||||||||||

||||||||||||

||||||||||||

||||

||||

|||

||

but avoid

_-`||||

||||||||

|||

|||

||

`- _

Or you'll get a kind of dreadlocks effect. :3

If anyone knows how to fix the dreadlocks effect, please share! I tried making the boxes run completely together (by moving it to the edge of the box boundry) but for the outside cylinders, it seems hopeless.

Archived