Problem loading game without a mod

hangarspace

I've got a problem trying to run the game after removing a mod which I can't understand.

Firstly, the mod is the 'davohkin retreat', a single ESP file

Secondly, I use the 'mod organizer' tool to manage my mods

When I remove the mod, skyrim ctd after the Bethesda splash screen fades out, before I've even tried to load a save game, that's e bit I can't get my head round, the fact that I haven't tried to load a game.

If within mod organiser I include this mod in my profile but leave it actually unticked on the right hand side, which should prevent it from being loaded, the game runs and loads but continues to load the mod despite it being disabled. The moment I remove it from my profile the game refuses to load.

I don't have this problem with any other mod and the only way Ive gotten around it is to do a complete clean install of the game, a real pita.

Any ideas?

Chris

Crashing that way is nothing new Chris where mods are concerned, sometimes you don't even get as far as that >< Have you left anything inside the retreat that is still installed?? Also Beth had a real problem with i think the 1.5 patch and added building mods could be a legacy of that. Have you tried the actual mod thread, the modder may be able to help 8-)

Crashing that way is nothing new Chris where mods are concerned, sometimes you don't even get as far as that >< Have you left anything inside the retreat that is still installed?? Also Beth had a real problem with i think the 1.5 patch and added building mods could be a legacy of that. Have you tried the actual mod thread, the modder may be able to help 8-)

Thanks for the reply.

What I can't understand is why it would ctd before I've even chosen a save game to load, or what is forcing it to load the mod at thi stage.

Chris

That 'retreat' was a disaster, it borked many games. Load a save where you are not anywhere near the cells that it mods (near player homes, etc.) and re-save. Fixing that mod is a real mess, you'll have to read some posts on it, there are plenty.

Well I managed to resolve the problem, not a fix but a work around. The reason i wanted to remove this mod was to swap it for another player home which happens to be in the same spot, riverside lodge.

I got around it by renaming one of the other mods I'm already using to be the same as the one I was trying to remove and it all worked great.

So whatever was going on, it wasn't bothered about what was actually in the mod it was just insisting on loading a mod named retreat.esm. Go figure!

Chris