Tribes: Ascend

hector530

anyone played this game yet? its pretty awesome for a free to play game. its different from just about every FPS out there. also it isnt pay to will, everything is unlockable through in-game exp points only downside is that exp comes slow because you have to pay for boosters.

download link

https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=2151400&utm_campaign=email

I play this all the time. Probably the game I play most atm. If anyone wants to friend me my in game name is marharth. I suggest you do buy something for around 30 bucks to speed up XP gain.

If you do good you can get around 2k xp per match without a booster. The weapons are all fairly balanced, but most of the unlocks for weapons cost around 42xp. Some cost 100k xp.

Its far better then a lot of full price games in my opinion, and spending 30 dollars on it is definitely worth it. Not to mention it will be updated further.

Also it recently came out of open beta into the full release stage, so if anyone wants to start playing early now is a good chance.

I considered making a topic about this but doubted a forum that was primarily about single player RPGs would be interested in it.

Edited by marharth

I don't go for this game so much. I do enjoy the gameplay, but I feel that experience points come in way too slowly. I'm definitely not the best player out there, and I would have to spend hours just trying to unlock one weapon. I got bored with it.

I don't go for this game so much. I do enjoy the gameplay, but I feel that experience points come in way too slowly. I'm definitely not the best player out there, and I would have to spend hours just trying to unlock one weapon. I got bored with it.

See your point, but I still think it would be fine to just buy gold and unlock some stuff like that when you consider the value.

The starting weapons are pretty good. I would argue that the default solider load out is the best, and same with the pathfinder. As pathfinder I only use default. The bolt launcher deals a lot of damage so you can't really use it to gain speed. That and the projectile as drop off so its not good at all for long range stuff unless you have really good aim. The shotgun deals a lot of damage close range and is hitscan, so I don't see much point in a high rate of fire projective gun like the light assault gun.

As for solider the eagle pistol is hitscan, but is terrible at longer distances as it deals around 60 damage. Good for finishing people off but using the assault rifle can do just fine. The spinfuser is great, but the thumper can be of similar function for duels.

I see no reason to use any other loadout then default on pathfinder honestly. That is my personal playstyle though.

Edited by marharth

I played it quite a bit in closed beta. It is a pretty fun and innovative shooter compared to what else is out there now. The only problem with me is I get bored of things quickly and have been jumping from beta to beta over the past few months. I was playing the Diablo 3 beta, got bored, moved onto tribes (I really enjoyed it), than moved onto Dota 2 and CS:GO, both of which I am currently playing.

The scout-like character with the shotgun was really good so I played them most of the time. I tried out the sniper and it was almost useless. Overall, my favorite part of the game visually was the sun shafts that were cast off of everything. It made it look so cool 8)

As someone who started playing Tribes waaay back when skiing was still a glitch, the lack of choice in loadouts is... somewhat off-putting (especially when I saw that the spinfusor wasn't a default weapon). I know I'm going to try Ascend at some point just because it's Tribes and I want to believe that one of my favorite games has come back to life, but I'm still a bit skeptical. One of the major selling points of the series was always the freedom of choice afforded to the player via custom loadouts; you could jump right in and play to your own strengths rather than being tied down by predefined classes and roles.

Can anybody who's been jetpacking since the old days provide a little insight here? Does it really feel like Tribes?

As someone who started playing Tribes waaay back when skiing was still a glitch, the lack of choice in loadouts is... somewhat off-putting (especially when I saw that the spinfusor wasn't a default weapon). I know I'm going to try Ascend at some point just because it's Tribes and I want to believe that one of my favorite games has come back to life, but I'm still a bit skeptical. One of the major selling points of the series was always the freedom of choice afforded to the player via custom loadouts; you could jump right in and play to your own strengths rather than being tied down by predefined classes and roles.

Can anybody who's been jetpacking since the old days provide a little insight here? Does it really feel like Tribes?

I didn't play the original tribes, but I do know the older community is very much split on it from my observation. A lot of people dislike it due to the credit and XP system, as well as what you said about load outs. Also a lot of the older players feel jetpacks and disk jumping needs to be stronger. A lot of the older community is fine with these changes though. If you are a older tribes player I would suggest you just try it out and see for yourself.

To be fair though there are at least two default spinfusers. The ones for the solider and infiltrator have to be unlocked though, and the weapon directly called "spinfuser" has to be unlocked. I think it is a bit silly to require the soldiers spinfuser to be unlocked. A assault rifle/thumper combo is just about as good as a spinfuser/eagle pistol combo, so I don't see why they wouldn't start you with the spinfuser instead.

The thing is that since it decided to run on a f2p model they couldn't simply give everyone everything once they downloaded it. If you wanted to buy it as a full priced game, you could unlock pretty much everything in the game right now with 50 dollars.

Also take note that it just came out of beta. There will still be updates with new weapons and items, so the load out choices should expand with time.