Question about numbering scheme for Mod Version

Just released my first Skyrim mod, and gave it version number 1.0. However, I just read a tutorial on modding and it suggested using 1.0.0 instead, with the numbers indicating what gets updated:

• First digit 1.0.0 - major content update
  • Second digit 1.0.0 - minor content update like a new feature
  • Third digit 1.0.0 - bugfixes or similar update

The latter scheme falls more in line with production software numbering (Major.Minor.Revision.Build), but is that the standard for mods as well? Most mods I've seen only have two digits (1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc.).

I'm also a little hazy on what would be a major vs. minor content update. For instance, my mod contains 3 armor sets. If I use 1.0 and my next update contains 2 more armor sets, would that be 1.5 or 2.0?

that really depends on you , and the mods you are making

for a mod with a smaller scale , you might not need to fix some many issues or add a lot of new content . thus , two digits should suffice

however , for much larger mods that do a lot more , there will be more room for errors and bugs that need fixing , and minor tweaks . so for such mods , maybe three digits is more fitting

but there are no real rules here . so you can do whatever you want

want to add another armor set to your mod and call it version 10? go for it , no one will stop you (though maybe people will try to figure out the reason for the leap)

for your mod , unless you plan to increase the scope beyond adding items (like gameplay changes or new systems) , I think two digits should work just fine for you

and if you currently have 3 armors , and your update adds 2 more armors , it could very well be a 2.0 (but again , it's all up to your decision)

That's totally up to you. You can use just one digit and every new update will increase the number - it doesn't matter if it's just a bugfix or a huge new feature: 1st version is 1, 2nd version is 2 and so on.

But my personal taste is to use 2 digits. 1st digit for major updates and huge features, 2nd digit for minor updates and bugfixes.

I also like the 3 digit system like you mentioned.

But you should stay to numbers and not use chars like i've already seen in some mods:

*2.better (assuming 2.0 was bugged, then this should be 2.1)

*1.4SSE (because we're at Skyrim SE nexus, leave the "SSE", just keep it 1.4)

*1.0new (if version 1.0 got overhauled, the new version should be 2.0)

*1.ab (I don't really get, what this shall be)

But imo it's ok to use "alpha" and "beta" in your versioning.

As others have said it's up to you. For mods(I have none released but this is the versioning scheme I use for myself) I have in initial testing phase, I start with 0.0.9. When I come out of testing phase, that is, the main functionality is working flawlessly as intended I'll go to 1.0.0. Any change afterwards, the last digit increases up to maximum of 9, to which I move up to the first decimal.

testing - 0.0.9

release/beta - 1.0.0

anything else.. 1.0.1 > 1.0.2..etc.. 1.1.0

It'd have to be a pretty big change(like a feature or something bigger than whats already there) for me go straight 2.0.0.

Edited by Rasikko