2 Issues, 1 Post. What a deal.

UgTheViking

Hey there. - Having a couple of issues here. The first is a possible LOD ? but it only started a week or so ago. If I look at this section of mountains straight on part of them are missing. If I move the mouse to the left or right they "roll" in to how they are supposed to be. I have no clue what could be causing this and it only happens with that one section of mountains.

The second issue started after the last FO4 update so I am "assuming" they are related somehow. My save game, be it quick/auto or otherwise sometimes takes a long time to work, sometimes up to 2 minutes or sometimes actually freezing. Other times it works as it always did, quick and easy. I have only 4 saved games in my folder so that shouldn't be an issue.

Any suggestions with either of these issues would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks.

Your 2 problems could be related. Both may be caused by interrupted data-stream from harddrive to game engine or to the GPU. And because its after the update, some game files may be moved around the hard disk. That all given, you are using an classic magnetic harddrive and not an SSD. If so, defragment it. All this problems are know to happen, if the disk is too much fragmented, and game files wont load as smooth as expected by the game.

And yes, it may fix your problem, but it can also be something completly different.

RE: your first issue…

Not that it explains the cause, but FWIW it’s the same if “rolling distant mountain” syndrome I think you mean this is a long standing issue I’ve experienced as a far back as FO3. FNV does it too. I’ve seen videos of it happening on Skyrim (Oldrim) and Oblivion. Best guess it’s an engine rendering bug that has never been fixed.

For me in FO4 it seems to happen most when I’m on the eastern or western most edges of the map. Come to think of it, in my current FNV game it tends to do it closer to the map edges as well. Possible that has something to do with the game rendering the LOD in those extreme map regions. I've run into it so long across so many games I just write it off as another Bethesda "consistency."

I'm in agreement with RedRocketTV regarding the phenomena of disappearing mountains, it's a rendering limitation of the game engine (for example, removing the in-game 'world' borders and traversing as far north as possible whilst being at the maximum height possible, then turning 180 degrees to face south, and you'll see huge chunks of the southern-most regions of the Commonwealth completely disappear)

With the long times for loading a save, this tends to happen when using a lot of mods (especially if you've been adding/removing mods during an existing playthrough) It's generally related to references from mods you either have used or are using being 'baked' into the save. Even if you've only got four save files in total, the file sizes for them are likely to exceed 25-30mb easily, if you've been switching mods a lot... which means as you continue using any of those saves, the file sizes will continue to increase, and likely the loading times too. Speaking from experience, I had that issue myself with my first playthrough of FO4, and the only solution was to simply start a brand new one after settling on a particular number of mods.

Your 2 problems could be related. Both may be caused by interrupted data-stream from harddrive to game engine or to the GPU. And because its after the update, some game files may be moved around the hard disk. That all given, you are using an classic magnetic harddrive and not an SSD. If so, defragment it. All this problems are know to happen, if the disk is too much fragmented, and game files wont load as smooth as expected by the game.

And yes, it may fix your problem, but it can also be something completly different.

Well, defrag didn't help my game but probably didn't help my computer. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I'm in agreement with RedRocketTV regarding the phenomena of disappearing mountains, it's a rendering limitation of the game engine (for example, removing the in-game 'world' borders and traversing as far north as possible whilst being at the maximum height possible, then turning 180 degrees to face south, and you'll see huge chunks of the southern-most regions of the Commonwealth completely disappear)

With the long times for loading a save, this tends to happen when using a lot of mods (especially if you've been adding/removing mods during an existing playthrough) It's generally related to references from mods you either have used or are using being 'baked' into the save. Even if you've only got four save files in total, the file sizes for them are likely to exceed 25-30mb easily, if you've been switching mods a lot... which means as you continue using any of those saves, the file sizes will continue to increase, and likely the loading times too. Speaking from experience, I had that issue myself with my first playthrough of FO4, and the only solution was to simply start a brand new one after settling on a particular number of mods.

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you. I have toyed with a few mods on/off and my save file is at 40 mb. As far as the "rolling mountains" it just seems odd it only started recently. But anyway, thank you all for the replies. 'Tis appreciated.