Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Codswell looks at the newcomers with a warm smile from a dark corner of the tavern as he thought to himself, "Perhaps these people may help me achieve my goal." Codswell stood up and walked over to the bar saying happily, "Bartender, I would like to pay for meals for these fine folks." Codswell turned to the group addressing them, "It's your lucky day folks. Tymora smiles on all of you. I am Codswell, your happy go lucky halfling who has a sweet deal for you. I offer my services to you all as a humble man and would hope you may help me in return." Codswell's smile widened greatly as he twirled his dagger on his finger without injuring himself, trying to impress the group.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rameses furrowed his brows in a slightly baffled manner, staring downward at the bizarre little halfling. While his offer to pay for their meals was poorly timed—as many among their group have already eaten, paid for their meals, and gone to bed—the fire genasi did acknowledge his charity. However, what admiration Rameses had for Codwell's generosity dwindled as the halfling avidly attempted to persuade the group to bring him along in their travels. It had not been uncommon to receive newcomers such as Codswell as of late, but how he tried to sway and impress them warranted Rameses' inquisitive caution.

"Help you in return for allowing you to accompany us?" Rameses snorted, considering himself a member of the group in his somewhat drunken haze. "What are your services, mercenary? Why should we allow you to accompany us, much less assist you with a task you've yet to inform us of?"

Edited by FreemasonGamer

Codswell bows while replying, "Though I seem to have sparked a small fire, I assure you my intentions are nothing but just. Bartender may i have a mug of mead to quench me parched throat?" Codswell took the mead when it was brought and began explaining, "I have come a long ways in search of a group such as yourselves. I come from Baldur's Gate, a city once tainted and corrupt to the core. I was but a lowly street urchin when a kindly tavern owner took me in. When I had lived on the streets it was a constant battle to survive. Some days I went without food or rest, some were because I couldn't get any money, while others were because I helped others survive at the risk of my own." Codswell set the mug down, a look of sadness played his face as he continued, "I thought long and hard about what i could do for them. I couldn't just let them stay on the streets forever......... so.......... I bought myself some armor and a weapon in hopes I could find some great treasure to give those I helped shelter and food for the rest of their lives and maybe give them the means to give their offspring a better future........"

The look became very distant, as if Codswell were back in Baldur's Gate, back on the streets he had barely survived. His tired eyes told stories filled with pain, sorrow, and regret. "My friend, all I ask.......... is to be there when you find some great treasure. So I can bring it back to those who helped me as much as I helped them........... I just hope they are still alive when I return. And mercenary? I prefer the term benevolent bandit. I can supply you with means of disarming, recovering, and spot any and all traps, monsters, and secrets you might encounter. You learn a thing or two on the streets of corruption."

Bidding Rhaine a goodnight as she left, Leif looked down at the plate of food that she had left untouched, and pulled it closer to him. He sniffed it curiously before spearing a portion of what he thought was meat with a fork and putting it in his mouth. A few moments after he finished with the piece he looked down at the plate with a scrunched up face. "Yeah that's nasty." He muttered to himself, before eventually taking yet another bite of the mixture.

Azuris listened to the newcomer with an arched brow, eventually scoffing and muttering to himself. "When it rains, it pours."

After the halfling finished his tale, Azuris couldn't help but comment again. "So let me get this straight... you want to find a group of adventurers to help you, help the poor in Baldur's Gate..... so you travel all the way to Mulhorand? On the opposite side of Faerun? Adventurers are a copper a dozen along the Sword Coast, you expect us to believe that you couldn't find a single party that could help you?"

"Also!" Leif interjected. "Baldur's Gate has actually been a rather pleasant place to live the past few years. Granted there's always the crime element in every city, but Baldur's Gate is making remarkable progress in many different areas, slums are being cleaned, the poor are receiving aid, educational facilities are being put up. It's all really coming together back there, and yes I would know, I live there." Leif explained.

"So what are you doing out here then?" Asked Azuris.

"I'm on vacation. Always thought this place sounded like a neat place to visit, turned out to be incredibly wrong, but oh well, not the first time that's happened." Leif said with a shrug.

"I can tell things about others. sure it has been years but............ I did try to join other parties........... but they all laughed at me." Codswell sighed, "It's alright. I understand if you don't need me. I'll keep on searching if possible." Codswell takes another swig continuing, "But as I traveled I guess i also wanted to go adventuring to see the world more." After finishing his drink Codswell ate some and returned to his dark corner saying, "It is your choice whether to let me tag along or not. I respect your decision. I was just thinking that........... maybe I could help more than just those in Baldur's Gate....... " Codswell sat in the corner his cheery mood dampened at the thought of being rejected again. Codswell muttered to himself quietly, "Nobody ever gives me a chance because I'm just a burden or I'll get hurt....... I don't care about getting hurt as long as it is for the good of others......... Tymora....... I pray that I will be let into a group....... Please......."

Markas waved farewell to the Genasi and approached the bar. Fang walking up beside him as he climbed onto a chair and waved the bartender over. "An ale if ya' will." He said to the man behind the bar as he listened in on the conversation between the other Halfling who called himself Codswell and the stranger from Baulder's Gate. His ale arrived not long after the stranger finished talking. Markas gripped it tight in his small fist and watched with joy.

He began to chuckle when the Halfling invoked Tymora to aid him in finding adventurers. Tymora favored those who relied on luck and daring, she didn't help out of charity. You have to charge in to earn her favor, he would know, many of his fellow Outriders worshipped Tymora because they were mounted warriors and the charge was where they were best applied on a battlefield.

"Master Codswell," Said Markas through a light smirk. "Tymora favors those who rely on luck, if you invoke her to intercede in your endeavors she will surely ignore you. Tymora favors the bold, those that take their futures into their own hands. Maybe the reason you have failed to find a group of adventurers is because you are not applying yourself correctly." Said the Outrider. Fang, the large warhound at his side laid down at his feet, dangling from his collar was a Tymoran Coin. Inked on the Halfling's neck was a pawprint, a symbol of the nomadic Halfling clans.

Codswell sighed, "I've always been bold." Codswell turned his back to the man and lifted the back of his tunic showing puncture scars and slashes, a couple of which were fresh while continuing, "And I thank Tymora for being there. Interceding between Death and I. I owe her more than I could ever hope to repay." Codswell lowered his tunic and faced the man again, "I have lived through many a battle............ but even the sweet victory of battle will not sate my never ending thirst for friendship and importance. I have done nothing but fend off bandits and small favors for others................. I sometimes wonder if I will ever be well known as a great person to many. I am grateful for having a good reputation amongst the small people I have met. But I want everyone to know that greatness can come from even the poorest of people like I once was................. I want to know what it feels like to be appreciated by more than just a handful of people..........." Codswell sipped at the rest of his drink, "Tell me traveler. What is it like? What is it like to save a town from a demon, lay waste to a necromancer's army, defeat a dragon terrorizing the countryside?" The Halfling perked up a bit when he started asking his questions.

After the others among the group asked Codswell their questions and the duo of halfling strangers began a quiet conversation in a secluded corner of the inn, Rameses yawned weakly before staggering upstairs, suddenly stricken with fatigue. "The roads go ever on..." He yawned quietly to himself, wandering up the staircase.

The fire genasi closed the door behind him before kicking off his boots and tossing away his cloak. His room was borderline between modest and cramped, but it still provided better shelter than the tent he had so often used as of late. Collapsing in his bed, Rameses quickly drifted off to sleep, anticipating the following dawn.

Argyros, who had just finished his meal (he thought the fare was delicious), answered the eager halfling with a flat silvery stare, "Just another day for us, little one. Be aware that we have our own quest with our own goals, and they may not coincide with yours. You would do well to direct your request to join us to our leader, Rhaine. She will awaken early, tomorrow, as she always does, and if you ask, she may allow you to become part of our company. But she will also ask you in return if you are willing to lay down your life for the betterment of the Realms. If you are not, you had best turn back now."

With that, the dragon-in-disguise rose from the table and exited the tavern, savoring the sweet smell of the Mulhorandi night and wandering about the streets before curfew, enjoying the feel of the soft, cool breeze.

Upstairs, Conall was surprised at the sudden quietness coming from Zorica's room, and when he poked his head into the hallway, he noticed that Amendale had yet to go to his own quarters. Grinning knowingly, the paladin ducked back into his own room and shook his head. Perhaps those two had finally made up, and the tension would not be quite so thick amongst the company on the morrow...

Codswell brightened and seemed to be beaming with glee, "I might not get any sleep tonight. And rest assured, I would take the fall for any life that is pure of heart and intentions. I wouldn't spare my life for anyone beyond help though." Codswell finished his drink and brought the mug back to the bar and starts helping clean up after the parties meal before retiring to bed not getting sleep till near the end of night and awoke just before sunrise.