Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Rhaine was a bit taken aback by these strangers' sudden concern. Did she look that bad? She self-consciously smoothed the front of her dark robes, smiling gently at the elf and the armored man, "Ah...I was in a... fierce battle a few days ago. My wounds have since been tended to, but I am still a bit...preoccupied, you could say. I've actually come to Lord Everdawn to speak about the incident."

She shook her head, "I'm sorry, my manners have escaped me...I am Rhaine Alcinea, Chosen of Kelemvor."

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Weyland Grey. Mercenary and local." Weyland introduced himself with a friendly smile, and offered a handshake. Beside him, Amendale introduced himself as well.

"I'm Amendale." He said simply.

Weyland elaborated on Amendale's behalf. "He's a spellcaster. I've seen him use elemental spells before, and he knows some healing magic. A lot more than he first appears to be." Amendale spoke with the servant quietly as Weyland spoke.

From what the servant told him, Lord Everdawn's wife had gone missing and he was worried sick about her. "I'll freely aid you." He promised. He didn't charge to save somebody's life.

Rhaine took Weyland's hand, "A pleasure, goodsir."

The Doomguide overheard the servant's words, and she quickly turned to her, "Ah, that is what I am here about, actually. I think it would be best if I spoke with Lord Everdawn personally. Before these men commit themselves to this quest, I believe you all should hear what I know, first. But this talk is not for public audience. Will you let us in?"

There‘s a small house in the city of Waterdeep. Most people pass it by without a second glance. It‘s a rundown shabby old place. There are hundreds of others like it. There was however a small difference between this one and the rest, most of the houses were not the scene of an interrogation.

“WHERE’S MY MONEY?” Yelled the thug Bromer before smashing his fist into the side of a tied up and gagged white haired man face. “Look at me Tannin, look at me.” He growled as he grabbed the man called Tannin’s face and pulled it closer to his own. “I’ve been nice, Okay too nice at times. I’ve extended deadlines, I’ve let you miss payments, hells I’ve even let you pay less than what you owe at times. But I’m getting reeeally tired of putting up with you alright?” He said before letting go of Tannin’s face and taking a few steps away from the chair that Tannin was tied down to. "I mean... What am i supposed to do with you huh? I mean... Okay.. let me tell you something here okay? Share with you a little bit about myself... I consider myself an artist. Now i know what you're thinking, No you're Brom, you're just collector. There's no artistry in taking money from people. Well that's where you're wrong mister Tannin. Let me tell you a story, okay?"

Bromer cleared his throat. "Once.. There was a fish merchant who borrowed a small sum of gold from us. Not a whole lot you see, just enough to fix up his old stall. So he gets the coins, fixes it up, and goes back to business. A few months pass by, the interest rates does what it does and steadily climbs and eventually, he owes us three times what he was loaned.

Now being a generous man i go over and have a little talk with him. Turns out he's not making that good of a profit, So i says to him okay, we can work something out. So i take his kid, and tell him that the little squirt can help pay off what's owed. The guy's like no no not my boy please no, And he keeps begging, pleading, and crying, And it's starting to give me a headache so i says okay. It's either your boy.. or your wife, I'll give you the night to think it over."

Bromer then pulled a nearby stool over and placed it in front of Tannin and sat on it. "Let me tell you something Tannin... A mother's love.. is a beautiful thing. I never never experienced it personally, Mine threw me out when i was twelve. But seeing that guy's wife walk up to me, So that her son would not have to get involved in this business.. It brought a tear to my eye, I still get misty eyes just talking about it. I mean look at me i could drop a tear at any moment look." He said bringing his face up close against Tannin's. "See? Right there, there's a tear there." He said pointing to his eye before leaning back onto the stool.

"So anyways, to make a long story short. The wife is still working for us. Her mind is completely fried now so she doesn't even know who she is or why she's working in that place." Bromer said with a laugh. "Last i heard she was the top girl there, Nothing even.. registers up there anymore hahah. The merchant thinks we have his wife and son held against their will so he's still slaving away. Can't sell anything but he's trying his hardest!" He nearly fell over with laughter. "And the best part is heh... the best part, The kid's dead hahah.... dumped him in a gutter months ago. And hells, The wife's made triple what the guy owed in the first place, but she's too strung out to care or even know! So you see? That's why i do this, These people are my masterpieces. My art, is taking people at their highest, And then bringing them down..down..down, Until... There is nothing..left." Bromer said with his voice growing softer and softer.

"BUT THEN!!" He yelled while hopping off the stool and picking it up by the legs. "I run into people like you. Who don't have a thing.. for me.. TO TAKE!!" He yelled as he smashed the seat of the stool against Tannin's head knocking him onto the ground. "I say, bring me his family, YOU DON'T HAVE ANY!!" Bromer yelled before kicking Tannin in the face. "What about people he spends time with? Friends, partners, lady friends, NOTHING!!" He kicked him again. "You have NOTHING That i can take. What? what? what? what? WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO!!!??" He screamed kicking every time he said what.

"I can't cause any permanent damage to you, cause then i won't get my money back, So what do i do? Huh?" He stepped back to catch his breath. "Part of me just wants to dump you down below and.....And that works." He said as a smile spread across his face. "Yeah.." He crouched down next to Tannin. "I'm gonna send you down to the Undermountain... And you're gonna stay down there until you either die, or collect what you owe me.. How's that sound?" He asked undoing the gag which kept Tannin from making a sound.

"Sounds great.. When do i leave?" Tannin asked in a dazed tone, his world still spinning from the blow from the stool.

Tak'we heard his friends offer their comfort. Though it didn't stop him from still feeling guilt, it did lighten the burden on his soul. "Th-thank you, all of you," he whispered, "but thisss one needs time to think. Perhaps thiss one shall meet you again." The thri'kreen stood up and took up his gythka and found his cloak. Making sure he had everything, he bowed his head slightly at his friends. "Until then. May the spirits favor you all." He looked at Mahira one last time. Goodbye, Mahira. May Mother Moon embrace you in her loving arms. With that being said, Tak'we walked off, warbling a bittersweet song.

Tak'we sat on the outskirts of Everlund, following the tracks of Rhaine and the others after three days of walking the wilds. After splitting off away from the group, he spent the next couple of nights trying to head on his own path, perhaps back to his homeland. But he was surprised to find that he no longer really missed it. What he really missed, he realized, were the softskins that had shown him more kindness in one day than the whole world had in nearly 60 full moons, and that he truly considered them to be his clutchmates Deciding to go to Everlund as Rhaine planned, the thri'kreen had stood up, collected his staff, and followed the group's path to the softskin stone village.

Before he neared the gates of Everlund, Tak'we hid out of sight. From his previous experiences of entering towns, the thri'kreen had soon learned to hide his true nature from others: many times he'd been chased out of town due to misplaced fears or bounty hunters. Making sure that no one was watching him, he arranged his cloak so that it hid his features and slouched like one of the elders of the softskins, and leaned on his staff with a covered hand. To anyone watching, Tak'we appeared to be an old monk with an ornate walking stick. Confident that his disguise would work well enough, the mantis warrior walked to the gates.

As he walked inside, he spotted a guard and shuffled his way towards the man, gythka clicking on the street. "Your pardon, good ssir," Tak'we spoke softly after gaining the guard's attention, straining to keep his speech as controlled as possible. "But did you happen to ssee a group of odd folks, lead by one with wings?" The softskin looked at him suspiciously. "Maybe. What's your business, stranger?" "Oh, this old one only wishess to find them." Tak'we explained quickly, his voice sounding worn and parched. "They are old friends, you see, and it would really cheer up these old boness to see them again before Mother Moon says it's time to rest. Sso, would you please help?"

The guard studied the old man for a moment. "A priest of Selune, eh, " he spoke, then nodded his head after a moment. He wasn't one to be disrespectful to a holy man, especially one who was dying. "Sure, I'll help you, old priest. I saw your friends head into the Dreaming Dragon, just down the street over there." Tak'we followed the guard's pointed finger, then turned thanked the softskin. "Thank you, ssir. May Mother Moon grant you good fortune." With that being said, the thri'kreen hobbled away on his staff, eager to see his friends and to be out of the streets before anyone saw him.

Tak'we stepped inside the tavern, and looked around the room, seeing if he recognized anyone. Not seeing anyone he knew, he walked over to where the barkeep was and asked the same thing he'd asked the guard. The softskin grunted in response. "That's none o' my concern," he huffed. Tak'we sighed. Softskins... The fighter produced a few gold pieces he had from a pouch hidden in his cloak and laid them on the counter in front of the man. "Are you concerned now?" he responded. The barkeep looked at him, incredulity painting the man's face. "I don't care what you want, old man. If you want to see your friends, you'll just hav' to rent a room like anyone else." Shaking his head, Tak'we pulled out the rest of his money and gave it to the man. "Is thiss enough?" The innkeeper nodded his head and placed an old key on the counter. "I saw the winged elf leave some time ago. It seemed t' me she had an errand to do. As for the rest of your friends, they're upstairs as far as I know. Your room's the second one on the left.

Thanking the man, Tak'we went to the second floor of the inn and wondered which rooms belonged to his friends. He'd listened closely and thought he heard someone small inside one room, and, hoping it was Echo, rapped the top of his gythka against the door. "Echo," he rasped, "Is halfling softskin there?"

Edited by GrueMaster

The sun was beginning to rise as the fringes of the desert became visible over the horizon. Sana turned to the drow woman beside her, rubbing her heavily tanned arms. It seemed the night was always coldest just a few moments before sunrise. "So, Ginafae-- I mean, Mistress, there it is. The other direction would have led you to your death, if you were not prepared for several days of traveling, fighting, and dehydration."

She crossed her arms over her ample bosom and smiled, "Now that I've helped you. Perhaps you can help me. I'm looking for a man, a slave. I want to go to the city to look for him, but I can't very well go alone and looking like this. The peoples of the city are even less used to my kind than yours. I will pretend to be your... pet, if you wish. I just want him back. He's mine."

Admiring her tanned arms, Sana gave a contented sigh, then added, "If you don't want to take me with you, at least spread the word that Sana is looking for Weyland Grey, and she will find him, at any cost."

The housemaids eyes widened, and a smile broke on her young face; It was clear that she was elated to hear news that Lady Everdawn was at least somewhere. "Oh thank the gods! Lord Everdawn has been worried sick about her Ladyship, as have we all. it just isn't the same around here without her." She looked at the two men and said "Well that was the job... to help find Lady Everdawn, but you are welcome to come inside to see if he has anything else for you." The maid led them all through the vast halls of the house, every room was covered in regal splendour.

The maid opened the door to Lord Everdawns study, and ushered everyone in. "May i present the Lady Rhaine Alcinea, she has news on your wife! And these two men come seeking work."

Lord Everdawn looked up from his desk, and his handsome face bore a smile, his deep blue eyes glittering. He was strongly built, and nearly as tall as his wife, his hair was platinum blonde, and his clothing a fine set of sky blue silk. "Please, come in, sit down! Tell me then, Lady Alcinea, what news have you?"

-----------

Xallistine stayed in his room for the time they were in Everlund, tinkering with Miora's eye, and a few times exiting the Inn, under the guise of his elven self, to pay his respects. He studied Ravenna's notes, after Rhaine had finished with them, and simply soaked up all that he read. She truly was greater than any evil he had yet faced.

----------

Aricia spent the first day in self pity, crying to herself in her room, but soon snapped herself out of it, and resumed her rigid personality: She was alive, and that had to mean something. Sure that her current attire was far too revealing for her new-found age, she visited the local tailor to have work done. Her corset was joined with a sheet of sheer silk, that covered her chest and neck, adorned with gemstones to conceal her breasts and cleavage line. She removed her white robes for a brown, finely tailored robe, trimmed with a large fur collar, hemline, and sleeves. She paid her respects to Mahira, and returned to the Inn.

Edited by mythicdawnmaster

As Rhaine followed the maidservant inside, she felt a little sick. This was going to be incredibly difficult to explain. It was obvious that Ravenna had thoroughly duped the entire household. How would they ever believe she was involved in a plot to kill the goddess of love and destroy the world?

The Doomguide bowed slightly to Lord Everdawn before seating herself before his desk, "Fine greetings to you, your lordship. Unfortunately, I must be the bearer of bad news..."

She paused. This was not going to go well, she was sure of it.

"Lord Everdawn, your wife is not missing. She is not even who you thought she was...ever since you two were married. I..." she shook her head. Ravenna's own words would tell the story better than she. The Doomguide set the journal and papers on Lord Everdawn's desk, "Here. This is her journal, and these are several letters and correspondences she had with...Thay and the Cult of the Dragon."

She leaned forward, "My lordship, you have been made her fool. Ravenna was not the young woman you thought you wed...she is a 500-year-old Thayan witch who had plans to destroy the world and is now damned to the Hells."

Lord Everdawn laughed, thinking the woman was utterly mad, he got up from his seat to walk over to the window. "I don't know who put you up to such a devious task, but is no matter of humour! My wife is missing!" He raised his voice. "Five hundred year old witch my arm!" he said, clearly not believing an ounce of it. However the Doomguides sharp, focused, and firm eyes told him that he needed to believe her.

Lord Everdawn returned to his seat, checking Rhaine's face, her eyes... No she was completely sane... her words struck a chord. "You.. you aren't joking are you?" He asked, as his hands reached for Ravenna's black journal, trembling violently. He read through the pages, each he turned drained more colour from his face, until he came to the part detailing Ravenna murder of his first wife, Satine.

Tears broke from his eyes, and ran down his face, he wanted not to read more, but he did, he finished the journal, and went on to read the papers... Rhaine was correct, he had been made a puppet for a vile creature.

"Twenty-two years.." Everdawn said, his voice shaking, in a mixture of anger, and sorrow. "We were married for Twenty-two years... Ravenna mothered my children, she comforted the people in times of hardship, gave charitably to those who needed it... She turned this place into a bastion of goodwill... But it was all... a ruse. She used this to hide her true identity." Lord Everdawn paused, staring off into nothingness.

His hand slammed on his desk.

"How could i have not noticed?" He asked, hoping Rhaine would have something, anything to put his mind at ease.

Edited by mythicdawnmaster

Rhaine saw in Lord Everdawn's eyes an emotion she had to deal with on a daily basis at her home temple: grief. He was mourning the loss of the woman he thought he knew. The Doomguide took a breath, "Your lordship, Ravenna had five centuries to perfect her craft. She spent her entire life using, manipulating and then covering her tracks. She even tricked my own company for a while, until the ball at Cormyr. Were it not for the intervention of the gods themselves, I do not think we would have caught her in time. In short, Lord Everdawn, I do not think there was any chance of you noticing. Ravenna was too talented at illusions."

------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginafae's face was still as hard as stone as she surveyed the changing landscape. Upon hearing the lamia's words, however, she cracked a smirk.

"A pet...I like the sound of that. Weyland Grey, you say? It sounds rivvil. I used to hunt their kind...and punish them for their disobedience. I could find a jaluk rivvil easily."

At that moment, she saw a small caravan ambling along the road ahead of them. She pulled up her crimson hood against the glare of the rising sun and turned to Sana, "But let us have some fun first, shall we?"