Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Xallistine was warmed by the sentiment, but passed the stone back to Rhaine. "I cannot accept this, M'lady. Not now, for i believe you know my one wish, and if it came true, i would be departed... I shall snap out of my current state of mine soon enough Rhaine, but i could never use this stone to wish for simply peace of mind... But i truly appreciate you offering it to me, thank you"

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhaine nodded, pocketing the stone again, "Very well...as you wish."

She had half-expected Xallistine's response, and so she was not that surprised by it. Though she wondered who she would give it to instead...

After taking care of her horse, she ran a comb hurriedly through her hair and pulled it back into a ponytail before mounting up.

"All right everyone...if you are ready to leave, let's get going. We're wasting precious daylight."

With that, she kicked her steed ahead of Bilron and Maeve, who began moving the wagons once more.

Tannin watch Bard as he walked off ahead of the group. When he was well out of ear shot Tannin's face broke into a grin before he suddenly started laughing. Whatever it was that he found humorous he kept to himself, quickly stifling the laugh as he started to pack his things and stow them away. He was soon sitting on his horse, his cheerful disposition back on display. "Gonna be a good day." He said aloud as his horse started forwards.

By sunset that evening, they had made it halfway through the Graypeak Mountains...just as Rhaine predicted. The range towered on either side of the road, slowly sloping downwards towards them as they navigated through hills and passes. As they reached a stopping point, they could see the desert glimmering on the horizon, just beyond the Lonely Moor. Already, the climate was getting a little warmer - unseasonably so - and after reaching this halfway mark, the air was getting less humid and more dry. The Doomguide had to shed her cloak as they pitched camp again, making their circle arrangement just off the road and near a waterfall. The oxen were backed up against a cliff face along with the horses, the wagons on the opposite side.

Since they were so near a water source, Bilron decided to refill the animals' supply. Rhaine, too, refilled her waterskin, Theron lighting on her shoulder as she did so. Only when she rose up and glanced at the bird did she see him deposit a fat trout at her feet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Velve'drathir sang.

Maydiira barely had the strength to fight, but fight she did. The wizards were unprepared for her summoned Celestial bear, and as it ripped into their midst, she removed their bald heads from their shoulders.

This luck would not last, however. The sounds of battle were drawing others towards her, and they would be ready for a fight. As she took off down one corridor, her bear in hot pursuit, she prayed that this one would lead to the surface...

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Weyland cringed at the sight of the desert before him. He never thought he'd be back here in his lifetime. He had changed into his desert robes, which helped significantly in the heat, and kept his sword strapped to his side and his shield on his back. Amendale didn't much mind the desert, he'd never been through one before and was eager to explore a new biome.

Once the group pulled up at what was to become their campsite, Weyland was one of the first to go right up to the waterfall and refill his waterskin, knowing from experience how precious water was in the desert. Amendale helped the family with their oxen and unpacking their tents, although he also refilled his waterskin, as it was a practical thing to do. Once that was done, he pitched his tent beside the one Weyland had started to put up himself, before going around the camp to see how he could make himself of some use. Weyland made sure everything was in order for him first before he went to help others.

Bard stayed ahead of the group for most the trip, when his feet grew tired he rode on the wagon and played his lute to help pass the time. When they finally stopped to make camp he helped them unload, after that was finished he setup his bedroll and dropped his pack next to it. Bard sat on his bedroll and began to lay out his cooking materials before reaching for his crossbow and locking in a bolt. He stood and stretched, then turned to Rhaine. "Goin' to get my dinner..." He said then walked due east of the camp.

About ten minutes outside the camp and started to look at the sandy earth, there were lizard tracks everywhere and the sun was going down. He followed the biggest set up a large hill. As he crested it he saw the large brown lizard that made them laying out on a rock. Bard dropped to a knee and aimed his crossbow, he locked his sights in on the animal, steadied his breathing and gently squeezed the trigger. With a quick snap the bolt went flying towards its target, it struck with enough force to knock the lizard off the rock. Bard quickly got up and ran for his meal, nearly leaping upon it. He grabbed it by the neck and tail and twisted its neck to kill the animal.

"Gonna be a good night..." He said as he walked around looking for desert fruits, he picked a couple Prickly Pears and some Desert Figs and walked back towards the camp.

Tannin's mood had greatly improved when they had started moving again. He spent much of the journey speaking to whoever would talk back. Telling old tales to those that listened and enjoying whatever stories were told.

After camp was set up Tannin took a few moments to look out at the desert up ahead. He despised desert travel, fat too hot and too much sand everywhere. Raised in the north he much preferred the cold, far more manageable than heat. Hearing that Bard was once again going off on his own he looked back and watched him walk off. Tannin's head turned back and forth several between the water source and the direction Bard went off to hunt before he looked to the group. "Does anyone have a net I could borrow?"

Several minutes and attempts later Tannin had caught more than enough fish to feed the group. He drug the net full of fish back to the camp "So for supper i'm thinkiiinnng... Fish, and in the morning, more fish! And possibly even for lunch and maybe even after that, I don't know, depends on if i catch more. I might, and i might not, don't know yet. The real question that i might ask is why does a smith have a fishing net in his wagon? But not being one to question good fortune i won't and will instead start cleaning and preparing these beauties." He said happily.

Rhaine laughed aloud, "I certainly don't object. Fish it is!"

She nodded at Theron, "You keep that one, eh? Looks like we've got plenty."

Whistling happily to himself, the black eagle promptly hopped down from the Doomguide's shoulders and began tearing into his own trout.

As the sun continued to set, Rhaine glanced back through the pass at the small sliver of gold in the distance - the Anauroch. It would become far larger in the coming days, and the heat would gradually become more and more intense. Bilron began distributing water amongst the animals, and he remarked over his shoulder, "Looks a little daunting, eh?"

Rhaine nodded, squinting so as to see as far as her eyes would let her, "Aye. We'll get through it, though."

Maeve sighed, "I pray for Lathander's mercy. The oxen drink so much...I can only hope we'll come across a few more water sources along the way, even if they're pitifully small."

Bilron snorted, "Fat chance 'o that. And if they are out there, they're likely controlled by the Zhents."

The Doomguide frowned, lost in thought as she moved to untack and care for her horse. The poor beast had gotten stones in his shoes, and she had to pry them out with a pick. All the while, as she worked, her mind kept running over their plans for the days ahead. If they could keep a good pace, they'd be in Shadowdale in a little over thirty days. But that was a big if. She worried for Maydiira...worried for them all.

Sighing, she began piling her horse's tack nearby and started setting up her tent.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maydiira had been running for what seemed like hours. Even after she finally found the mouth of the caverns and ran headlong into the night air, she kept going, stumbling over tree roots and smacking into low-lying branches. Her bear had long been unsummoned; hopefully, it had served as a distraction from her disappearance, even if only temporary.

At last, her legs gave out, and she fell flat on her face into a springy bed of moss. Her breath came in ragged gasps, her blood pounding in her ears. She rolled over and noticed that the twinkling sky was almost completely obscured by a thick, leafy canopy. She had no idea where she was, which way was which...

She was hungry, lost, and alone...the sole survivor of Sel Sreen'aur. But she did have her sword and armor again...and she had her life. Now, she most certainly had her life - where only hours earlier she was not sure of it at all.

At least there was that.

Bard walked along the ridge as the sun began to set, casting a shadow across the ground. He had spent the last hour picking fruits and vegetables. When he returned to camp he could smell fish, he hated fish and he'd rather not partake in their food. Not because he didn't like it but because he could take care of himself. The lizard hanging from his belt weighed quite a lot and he knew it would be filling. He sat down at the campfire next to his pack and began to clean and skin the lizard with his knife. He laid the skin aside and tossed the guts away, he de-boned the lizard and speared its meat along with the fruits and vegetables onto his cooking stick and set it over the fire. He drew his crossbow and made sure a bolt was loaded then set it within arms reach. He sat facing the great desert, in his many travels he has been across it and each time he met the Raiders that inhabited the great desert.

He filled his pipe with a sweet smelling leaf and used a piece of burning wood to light it, he gently puffed on the pipe as he brooded, his mind flashing back to his last encounter with them. They knew the desert better then anyone, capable of crossing its great expanse in half the time of even the most experienced guides across Faerun. They carried wicked scimitars and knew how to battle in the desert, striking at night and always from the East. They fought hit and run combat from the backs of their Desert Ponies and were expert horsemen. He did not fear them but respected them, he knew what they could do on a battlefield and he knew they would certainly be attacked by them during their travels there. Bard wanted Rhaine to know of them and wanted her to be prepared so he stood and walked over to her calmly.

"Rhaine, I wanted to talk with you a moment... It's about our journey ahead..." He said as he approached.

Edited by Macman253

Rhaine glanced over her shoulder as she continued working, "Yes?"

--------------------------------------------------------

Ginafae squinted at the walls of Shadowdale, "There is no way we can find your Weyland in the daylight, but night shall fall soon...and with it the blessed darkness of the ilythiiri."

The drow began slipping away through the foliage, intent on finding the nearby tunnels of her ancestors.