Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Xallsitine watched the Elan cautiously from a reserved position away from the others- what was this creatures business with them? By nature, the Elan were inhuman, and they were powerful Psionic beings. Perhaps it was simply Xallistine's instinctive nature, to be wary of another Psionic, while not quite on par with the powers of an Ulitharid, this man would still prove to be a deadly foe should he turn out to have other agenda hidden beneath the surface, a surface that shined brightly with happiness.

The Ulitharid assisted with packing the camp up, using solely his mind, barrels and kegs whirred around, suspended in mid air, as the Ulitharid found where they were to go- What was a sweat-braking chore for the others, was simply a thought for Xallistine.

Remembering Rhaines words of a warm welcome, Xallistine dropped his hostile barrier, and approached the Elan. Bowing his head gracefully, the elegant Sorcerer looked down at Kalin. "As our Lady decrees, i bid you warm welcome, Kalin. I shall admit i do not quite comprehend your being here, the rare few of your kind i have encountered were far more.... Volatile. I mean you no harm, and wish none upon you, but i swear that should you attempt to influence the minds of any of your new companions, harm them in any way... I shall be forced to flay you alive." His words were slow and flowing, his deep, sagely voice adopted an indifferent tone. His intention was not to scare, or threaten the Elan, he simply wished to get such warnings out of the way.

Mireth raised one white eyebrow as Tannin started headbutting the wagon, and let out a largely amused chuckle. Men and their desires had always served to amuse her in some way, and this recent development in tannin's staring had tickled her pink.

Edited by mythicdawnmaster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hearing Merith's chuckling only made Tannin feel worse. "Of cooouurse she'd start laughing... Just what i need, to become the laughingstock of the whole group." He thought angrily.

After Maydiira listed all the languages she knew Kento nodded. "Perhaps you shall." When she said she didn't know his name he remained silent for a time. He never did like introducing himself especially lately. Names were unimportant to him. But he knew that she would probably pester him for it for as long as she followed him so he resented. "That is because i did not tell you it. But if you must know, I am Kento Ikeda. Son of Hanzaro Ikeda."

As Rhaine waited on a reply from Nawen, she overheard Xallistine's warning to Kalin, and she could not help but grin. It never ceased to amaze her at the Ulitharid's protectiveness of the group, and she felt incredibly lucky to have such a powerful and trustworthy ally. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Tannin hitting his head on the wagon, his tanned face blood red. She called over her shoulder, "Oh, pull yourself together, Tannin! You're not any worse than Arva!"

--------------------------------------------------------

Maydiira smiled, "Well, Kento Ikeda, son of Hanzaro Ikeda, it is a pleasure to meet you. Now, you say you are hunting a murderer? Who has this murderer killed, if I may ask?"

She continued following, a slight bit behind and to the left of him. Kento was a stranger only moments before, and as such, she wanted to make sure she gave him an appropriate amount of space.

Kalin stiffened at the illithid's warning. Godsbedamned, he cursed his ill luck; he'd hoped that he managed to hide his presence. Apparently not. The elan met Xallistine's eyes without flinching, annoyed that someone would assume he would even do such a thing. "Listen, I'm not that kind of psionic. I'm not a telepath," he spoke in a whisper low enough that none but the illithid could hear it. "And even if I was, I would never force my will onto another. Also, my kind tries to remain secret and blend in with humans, so if any of them seemed volatile, I assure you, they weren't allowed to live for long."

The soulknife continued, his eyes turning to a stormy purple. "And speaking of secrets, I'd appreciate it if you kept my true nature hidden. If our companions find out, others might try to keep them silent... forever. So as far as we're concerned, I'm human." In a louder voice, Kalin greeted Xallistine in return. "It was nice meeting you, Xallistine. I wish more of your race were like you." He nodded to the sorcerer and walked away, picking up his coat and pack as he went to find other things to help with. "It's going to a wonderful day," he muttered to himself, his mood rather soured now.

Tak'we overheard Xallistine's warning to Kalin. "What does tentacled one have against sstrange softssskin?" the thri'kreen asked himself, then shrugged. Softskins, always so different. He picked up his supplies and walked up alongside the wagon where Sori sat and nodded to the smith. "Thisss one isss ready."

Edited by GrueMaster

"AND THAT'S SUPPOSED TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER!?!?" Tannin yelled back at Rhaine, Blood now dripping from his forehead. He sat down in a huff, keeping his back to the group, but more specifically Merith.

Again Kento took his time in answering Maydiira. His mind wandered back to that night years ago, when he had returned home to find the bodies of his wife and son at their murderers feet.

-------------------------

His cries were answered with laughter. Overwhelmed with grief, Kento slumped to his knees

"Oh I'm sorry, how rude of me." The murderer laughed. "What kinda monster doesn't let a woman welcome her husband home?" He reached down and lifted Her dismembered head off the floor, holding it up for Kento to see.

"Welcome home sweetie." The man said in a high pitched voice, using Kento's wife's head as a puppet. "Here i'll be nice." The man said in his normal tone. "Let you give her a little kiss even." He said before punting her head into Kento's chest, hitting it with a wet thud.

Kento reached own and picked his wife's head off the ground. This wasn't real, couldn't be. But try as he might he could not wake himself up from this nightmare.

"Why?" He asked. "Why.. did you do this?"

The man scoffed as he pulled something from his coat. "You know why I came after you Kenny. But this?" He said pointing to the bodies. "This was just twisting the knife."

-------------------------------

The rest was a blur. He remembered charging the man, a vial shattering against him, His skin burning, then darkness. He awoke several days later, his burns healed as best he could, His wife and son were beyond help. It was then that he had sworn vengeance. Years later he was still hunting, But now he was close. He knew they would meet soon and when they did, his family would rest in peace at last.

He looked over his shoulder to Maydiira. "My wife and son." He said grimly. "He broke into my home, butchered them, and waited for me. I survived, But I do not think he meant to kill me. I think he wanted me to live, to suffer without them." He growled.

"Your secret is neither mine to tell nor keep, so it is safe with me. I would only request you notify her Ladyship of... these others who would see us silenced. Such threatening secrets can offer no good, believe me." Xallistine ensured his words were exclusively in Kalin's head only, one of the many gifts he found useful- indeed, his every word was a fabrication within his companions minds, he chose whom to project it to. This ability, while allowing him to speak, also meant he had free access into the minds of his every companion- something he never, ever abused. He had never once sifted through a single memory, read a single thought. He was true to his oath of trust.

Mireth could see the sudden, and apparently genuine anger that was afflicting Tannin- she had assumed it merely a ruse, a game, as he was always one for sarcasm and poking around in fun, but clearly this had... unsettled him. Sighing , the lean elven blademistress walked over to the Half-drow, and sat beside him. Using her delicate fingers, she turned his face gently to face hers. "Silly boy." She said with a sigh, laying two fingers on his bleeding wound, casting a healing spell. "I didn't mean to cause any... ill feeling. I apologise if my outfit provoked any sort of lust from you, it's modesty has never really been an issue."

Weyland grinned at Tannin's antics until he realized that he was actually angry and not simply fooling around. Wincing, he finished packing everything up and waited for the others to do the same, eager to get out of the desert. He wasn't reassured that Xallistine didn't find this newcomer trustworthy, either, but he'd be friendly nonetheless. With thing like that, only time could tell.

Amendale also finished packing up and simply sat there on his backpack. He felt some strange energy coming off of the newcomer and was naturally curious and eager to find out, but nosing into other people's business wasn't what he did.

--------------------------------------------------

Arland fumed internally. It was either murder or find his brother. These two could be his only source of information regarding Weyland and Arland's only chance of ever finding him. But this blacksmith was just a regular citizen, enjoying a good night's rest before he woke up to work again. He sighed, deciding that at least the man would die in his sleep, and if he didn't kill the man, Ginafae would. He was used to getting his hands dirty, but there was always a reason behind it. This was senseless murder.

Arland approached the man stealthily, blades drawn. He positioned the sword just right, and decapitated the man with a single stroke. He would slit the man's throat and prevent his family from having to sow him back together, but that would also mean the man died panicked and distressed, as opposed to blissfully in his sleep. Arland's face contorted with rage, and he wiped the blood off of his sword.

"What need was there for that?" He hissed to Ginafae.

Edited by Flipout6

Kalin flinched when he felt Xallistine's presence in his mind. He calmed down somewhat at the illithid's words, but was still a little disturbed at the projection. Thank you for your... understanding, the elan sent back, and as for the 'others,' they won't be a threat unless I do something that would expose my race to the world. I will tell Rhaine if it becomes a problem, though. He sent one last thought to sorcerer. And Xallistine, please don't enter my mind like that again, please. Some places aren't meant to be tread. Now, let's be off! With that, Kalin straightened out his clothes, ready to travel once more.

"EHH?" Tannin squeaked as Mireth touched him. He almost fussed at her for her calling him a boy but quickly stopped himself as she healed him. "Ill? No no no no no!" He said jumping to his feet. "No need to apologize Lady Mireth! I'm just uhhh, easily exita- i mean.. Easily over stimulated in the mornings that's all thaaat's all. I'm just not really myself for the first few hours of the day. It's nothing you've done or wear that's all. Heheh i'll be right as rain in a little while, So no worries, nooo worries." He said in a highly animated fashion as he edged away from her.

"So uhhh we all ready to head out soon yeah? Good day to travel goood day to travel." He said as he walked back to the others.

Edited by josh900

Rhaine grinned at Tannin, "Aye. My words were all in jest, as well...I trust you know that."

She proceeded to explain to Nawen about the rogue stone - how Echo had passed it to her and told her of its function. The Doomguide then gave to stone to the ranger with the hope that the drow would find it of use. Rhaine knew that Nawen would not take such a thing lightly; whatever she ultimately used it for, if she did, would be important, not frivolous.

With that, Rhaine mounted her black steed, and the caravan began its descent out of the mountains and into the valley that lay to the west of the Anauroch. It would be their last glimpse of sprawling grassland before meeting the desert head-on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maydiira walked in silence for a long while, absorbing what Kento had said. She felt horrible for asking him about it, now. His tale brought to mind memories of her own recent tragedy...and far older ones in her life as well.

"My apologies, Kento," she said finally, her voice quiet, "I have tread where I should not have. I...just recently emerged from the massacre of my own people...and so I know what it is like to want revenge. But your desire must be greater even than mine."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginafae straightened from her crouched position; now that there was no one alive other than themselves, there was no need to sneak about. Her armored boots thudded heavily on the floor as she looked around. She approached Arland, her mouth twisted into a smirk as she looked him up and down, unintimidated by his outburst.

"Yes. There was. This place is now ours. You are to act as a relative...someone who inherited the place from the poor unfortunate soul. Or someone who has just come to take over the business. The story behind it matters not, so long as the authorities of Shadowdale are none the wiser to the presence of Sana and myself."

The drow blackguard paused to kick at the smith's head as it rolled along the floor. Then, standing chest to chest with Arland, she looked directly into his eyes with her own ruby ones, "You are not to breathe a word to anyone here about our presence. You are to maintain this place as a hideout for us...you are also to provide us with food and drink. In return, you may learn what we do about your precious Weyland. But if you speak of us, or you fail to keep us hidden in any way, you will be the first to die. You decided to join with us, now you are at our mercy. Do I make myself clear, jaluk?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two days later, the group was pitching camp in the midst of the Anauroch. They had left the grasslands behind a day ago, and the farther they had gone, the deeper the sands had become. The trade route had long transitioned from a road to merely a series of rock cairns that acted as periodic markers. These markers were incredibly difficult to see due to the haze that perpetually flickered on the horizon.

The heat was more intense than Rhaine had ever felt before. It was dry heat, but it made the companions sweat profusely. On top of that, the oxen kicked up fine sand into a cloud, nearly choking those who breathed it. The Doomguide had taken an extra scarf and wrapped it around her head beneath her hood, covering her mouth and nose to protect her lungs from the dust. She had also taken an extra sheet and draped it over her wings in an attempt to keep the black feathers from drawing even more heat. Suffice it to say, the day was long and miserable.

But as night fell, the temperature dropped by the second. As the sun dipped below the horizon, the wind chilled their damp skin. As soon as the oxen were unhitched, Maeve immediately set about building a fire, gathering dry scrub and small sticks in an attempt to find enough wood.

Rhaine and Bilron watered the oxen and horses, the beasts drinking vast quantities from the barrels. The Doomguide was worried they would not come across an oasis to refill their supply when they needed it...and then they would be in real danger.

Edited by AurianaValoria1