Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Tak'we simply shrugged. "Alright then, hatchling." Using an opposite arm this time, the thri'kreen grasped Arland's arm and waited to start again. When the signal came, he once again slammed his opponent's hand into the table with a resounding crash, cracking it further save this time the table shook and fell apart into a cluttered mess onto the floor.

Tak'we nearly fell out of his chair as the object he was supporting part of his weight on shattered. He was about to apologize to Arland when the barkeep suddenly started yelling at him. "Oi! What in the Nine Hells are you doing?! Look what you've done to my table!" The thri'kreen looked at his clutchmates and uttered two syllables: "Uh-oh..."

Kalin sat down his pen, frustrated with his work so far. There's simply too much missing here. he thought, then felt a slight buzzing in his head. Psionics? What the devil? He set his book aside and walked out into the hall, searching for the source. It seemed to be coming from Rhaine's room.

Curious, he edged closer to her door and heard talking inside. The elan listened closely and caught Rhaine's voice, then Xallistine's. Ah, must be going over mental defences, Kalin surmised, and was about to knock to offer any advice he could give when he heard a loud crash downstairs. That one was followed by another, soon accompanied by angry yelling.

By the gods, what now? The soulknife went downstairs to investigate and found the Grey brothers, Tak'we, a broken table between the three, and a rather red-faced innkeeper. "Oh, bloody hells," Kalin exclaimed and went over to calm the barkeep before they all got thrown out.

Edited by GrueMaster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Azuris watched the grey brothers and Tak'we decimate the table before shaking his head. "Kids."

------------

Tannin was rather surprised, Ginafae hadn't hit him, although it was getting hard to breathe now with the mace tighter on his throat. Putting an end to his sarcastic responses for now.

"Honestly?" He spoke in a lightly weazy tone. "I don't really know them. Just joined with us last night." He tried to push the mace shaft away from his throat so he could breath easier. "And I'm going to find a more..profitable venture in shadowdale.. All kinds of dark places that hold lots of treasure if you get my meaning."

Ginafae leaned closer, her stark white hair falling over Tannin's face, the tip of her sharp nose inches away from his. Her ruby eyes bored into his purple ones, and she spoke with a dark, husky voice.

"Really? That's not what I got from watching you," she murmured, her tone a strange combination of deadly and seductive, "I saw you bid your companions farewell...saw them wish you luck...you work for them still. You do not seek treasure...you seek something else. You and I both know that..."

She paused, letting her words sink in, "Shadowdale holds naught but trouble...especially for...ones like us. I battled Maydiira there...she fled to Dagger Falls. What has she told you? Has she spoken of a Ginafae? And what has become of her beloved Sel Sreen'aur?"

"WHOA!" Arland yelped in alarm as the table cracked in half, and he fell out of his chair, his arm also numb. He stood up, massaging it, and offered Tak'We a handshake. "Good game." He says.

Weyland chuckled. "What, giving up already, Arland?" He jeered.

"Uh...I don't think the innkeeper will approve if we continue to play." He reasoned amidst an ear-blistering rant by the innkeeper. He tried in vain to apologize and calm her down. Weyland laughed at the situation, as did Amendale, who had enjoyed watching Arland squeal pathetically in fear. The amused glint in his eyes ceased to disappear as he sipped some water.

Nawen pondered for a moment what to ask. She had so many questions but which ones to ask first?

"I have no doubt that there are more drow like us, good drow, why do you think they chose to stay in the Underdark? Why you stayed in the Underdark?" Nawen was well aware how badly some surfacers treat her people, she was treated badly by people who did not know her on so many occasions but not once she thought about retreating to her... true home.

It was Xallistine's turn to look in in awe as he stared at the band on Rhaine's finger, memorizing every detail of the account as her words softly flooded into his head, he was so glad that she had found it, lest her demeanour forever remain an angered and broken woman, it was a condition he could wholly imagine the Doomguide in, and the more he though of it, the more he wanted to protect her from the horrors of the world.

"Well... I have done many a thing in my time, M'lady, i have had a raging argument with a god before but... never have i enchanted their mortal possessions. That ring is worth so much then, and it is where it belongs- With the sovereign of Lord Lyonsbane's church, on your finger is a much better place for such a wondrous thing, much better than a dusty old pedestal." His voice was happy, and his eyes grinning.

"You know, before I came on this adventure with you, i was such a... frightful creature, it is now i sit here, taking our friendship for granted that i realize just how much you have changed me... While there is always my primal nature, the very thing that makes my kind what it is, I cannot change... you have turned me into a paragon of hope for the future of my kind." He paused for a moment, gathering his words.

"I would like to take this, perhaps our last time sitting with eachother to say... Thank you, For everything. I know I have told this to you before, but... I mean it. Without you i would still be down there, in the Underdark, experimenting on dwarves and creating monstrosities in my lab. It is said Half-Elves take to the peculiar, take to the strange rather than the normal, so perhaps that is why we are close? But I cannot help believe I was put on your path by the gods... Perhaps Kelemvor foresaw your lack of a wizard? and my god saw you as an asset to assist me in my goals of re-purposing the Illithid? I am no adept at divination, but for our bond, i thank the gods."

Xallistine rose from his seat and embraced Rhaine warmly, as he let go, his eyes smiled brightly.

"I should get to the others, Gods be with us, M'lady." Xallistine bowed low and long, drifting out of the room and heading downstairs.

Rhaine smiled widely, glad that she had made such a friend in the Ulitharid. After Xallistine left, she closed the door behind him and locked it once more. Looking down at her ring again, it had returned to its relatively unassuming state - simply a scratched, slightly battered gold band.

Sighing, she began making preparations for bed, but her thoughts were active with Xallistine's words. Did he sense his impending death? Or was he just worried about the upcoming fight, as she was? Though the Ulitharid was formidable in magical and psionic combat, he was vulnerable in the area of melee. She made a mental note to discuss protecting him with the others of the group. Weyland and Arland would be invaluable in protecting Xallistine...for as long as they kept him safe, they had far greater chances of survival.

The next morning, Rhaine woke early - just before sunrise. She left her hair down after running her comb through it, then armored and armed herself as usual. Donning her pack, she headed downstairs with purpose in her stride; the Doomguide was ready to move. It seemed Bilron and his family was ready as well, for they had gathered together before she had even risen. They nodded to her as she entered the common room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maydiira frowned, thinking before she replied, "Because they are afraid of surfacers. Where our evil kin hate the surface world, the rest of us fear it...because the evil drow have made it a dangerous place for us all. They have turned the surface world against our entire race...and so we are all hunted, good or bad. I stayed in the Underdark, too, because I thought I could make a difference there. I thought I could be a force of change amongst our kind."

Her silver eyes narrowed and her tone became bitter, "But I found that we can never win that way. Never. We are forced to flee from the darkness and into the light...a light that burns us and hurts us, even if we are good - even if we love it. The Underdark is a place of evil, Nawen, and never will it be otherwise. Don't make the same mistakes I have in thinking you can somehow change it. You can't."

Edited by AurianaValoria1

It took all of Tannin's mental strength not to roll his eyes. First the threats now this act? He was tempted to see what other acts he would try. But a better idea came to mind. "I'll answer the second set of questions first. I honestly didn't get to speak to her too much. Nor was I paying attention to what she was saying, There were other things of her that had my attention I will admit." He blew some of her hair out of his face.

"For your first point..... You should know that not all treasure is the kind you put in a sack. Some things are far more valuable than coin my lady. But if you're truly curious as to what I was sent of to find.... Come with me." He said with a smile. "I could do with the company of a sight like you and who knows? You might actually be able to distract me long enough to get what I seek for your own use. Would give you a leg up on Maydiira and her goals, can tell you that much."

----------------------

Azuris came downstairs, wincing and squinting his eyes as he did. He let out a groan as he sat into a chair. "Must be getting old... Didn't drink That much." He said burying his face in his hands. He called over the serving girl and ordered himself some breakfast as well as a bit of mead to help with the army marching on his head.

Ginafae's mouth curled into a sneer, "I'll think about it. And I'll give you something to sleep on as well."

With one swift movement, she lifted the mace and then smacked Tannin in the head with the haft - hard enough to knock him out until dawn.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhaine noticed Azuris looking rather horrible...his head in his hands as he waited for his breakfast. Moving over to him, she placed an arm around his shoulders, "Are you all right, brother?"

Nawen sighed. She was expecting a similar answer. Was she truly that lucky of being raised on a surface? It seemed that there was no place in Faerun for people like her, a drow who was raised to be different than the others of her kind.

"I'm sorry that you had to live that way, Maydiira" Nawen said softly "and thank you for your words. You have given me much to think on." She added.

The drow raised her head and noticed how others were gathering for breakfast. Were they talking for so long? She glanced at the winged drow and smiled. "I guess we should get something to eat too. Can't believe we talked for so long."

She arose from her seat and went to look for something to eat. Despite the rather unpleasant subject, Nawen was happy of having a chance to speak with another drow.