Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Kalin shook his head at Azuris' attitude. "Azuris, the path we walk isn't always the path we choose. Regardless, we still must travel along it." The elan's voice gained a melancholy tone.

"I've tried to have something akin to family, only to have it wrenched away horribly from me on twice thus far. Besides, I could never be able to be with someone, not with my... condition. It would be unfair to do that to them, to make them waste their life with someone who would never be able to give them a family."

"Azuris," Kalin stared at the man, no joy at all in his face. "love and family are great things. They truly are." He looked back towards the path in front of them. "But often the things that bring us the greatest joy in life also cause us the greatest pain, something else I've learned in my travels. Anyway," he spoke tersely, tired of speaking of such things now, the issue too close to his heart for his liking. "Lets get moving. There are tasks to be done."

Edited by GrueMaster

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhaine could add nothing more to Kalin's words; the elan's situation was quite similar to her own. She simply nodded - more to herself than anyone - and spurred ahead, continuing at a trot down the road to Shadowdale. Maydiira was silent, feeling that she should not add to the conversation. It had caused a somber mood and much self-reflection...

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginafae's ruby gaze practically pulsed with anger as she drew her whip to accompany her mace. She had no time to retort, as Tannin's idiotic screaming had called their new foes to them: a trio of beholders. Their large eyes stared with glowing yellow irises, several smaller, matching eyes looming above them on tentacle-like stalks. In an attempt to gain the upper hand, the drow flicked her wrist, and her whip lashed the middle eye of one of the beholders, caustic green ooze spilling out of its wound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Valthanarax was busy mulling over ways to deal with Ravenna - once he had eliminated the Doomguide - when his new messengers stumbled into his chamber. They were a trio of Red Wizards, all male, all similar in facial structure, leading the dracolich to believe they were brothers. They wheezed and panted as they dropped to their knees in supplication.

"What news have you of the Doomguide?" the dragon asked nonchalantly, his low voice coming out in a lazy drawl.

"She's coming..."

"Less than two days away..."

"There's another one with her!"

"Huge...hulk of a man!"

"And a thri-kreen barbarian..."

"Two warriors..."

"An elven wizard..."

"A wemic! And a genasi!"

"Two drow...one with wings, one without..."

"And gods help us...an Ulitharid!"

Valthanarax shifted, his bones rattling as he pulled his paws beneath him, "Is that all?"

"We don't know, great Valthanarax...there could be more. Allies flock to her like moths to flame..."

The dragon then turned his gaze to Ravenna, his glowing eyes fixed upon her, "So...what do you propose, Archdevil?"

At the gates Kowolj spent several moments looking over the leftovers from the training the other day, trying to remember if he had seen this Tannin character there. Try as he might he could find nothing that gave him a connection, and he started to become frustrated.

Though, even though he might not know where to go, he trusted Nawen and Tak'we to lead the way, and fell back into position.

Othos continued his pace next to Nawen, keeping his eyes on the horizon rather than the ground, ever vigilant of an attack that likely wouldn't come. But, if the others kept their eyes on the ground then someone had to keep theirs sights up.

Xallistine had nothing to add to the conversation- His reasons may have been different than Kalin and Rhaine's, but he foresaw that he would remain travelling for quite some time with the Doomguide. He had promised Rhaine he would see the cult dealt with, and a promise made was a promise kept. Perhaps he would remain with her even after the threat of the cult had dissipated, his magic's would sustain him for a long time yet.

-----------

Ravenna let out an amused sigh, and looked at the Red Wizards. Fear was evident, she could smell it like a clinging odour on these brothers, they feared the Doomguide and her companions, rightfully so, they were most definitely a... formidable group, to say the least. There was an abundance of races in the list she recognized from her last battle with the group, but a smile formed wickedly on her lips when she heard no mention of an Arch-Fey.

"Hmm, my magics must have killed her then..." Ravenna commented to herself with a perverted sense of pride. "Good news for you, they don't have an Arch-Fey at their disposal anymore, so we need not worry about protecting ourselves from the magic of the Feywilds." Ravenna smirked, pausing for a moment and then continuing.

"It seems we face an small army of eleven, if these wizards have counted right. Eleven of what we must assume are the finest specimens of their chosen area's. The Thri-kreen, wingless Drow and Ulitharid I have faced before, the first and latter are by far the most formidable of melee and magic. The insect is a brute of a creature, he tore my Hook-Horrors apart as though they were straw, and the Ulitharid is an unmatched master of the arcane, so I would recommend no attempts of magical trickery, puzzles, seals, he would brake them. But the others I have not encountered... My suggestion would be to provide them little resistance in the tunnels, and have your forces attack them within the complex. Have your spellcasters focus from afar on the warriors, and have your soldiers cut down the frail spellcasters." She smiled again, blinking several times as she though the situation over again.

Nawen chuckled as she heard Tak'we describing an Tannin's scent or rather scents. "We differ in that... area from the thri'kreen." She replied. It wasn't the best answer but she couldn't think of a better answer.

"Unless Tannin is traveling with underdressed woman I don't think that it will help us much." Nawen said and looked at Tak'we. "Though I must say that you have excellent senses, friend." It was the truth, the drow was pleasantly surprised and impressed that Tak'we was able to smell it that she would never had but then again not all her senses were that well developed.

The drow continued forward and for a while just kept going without even stopping but then suddenly she stopped and squatted down to look at the tracks. To an untrained eye it looked like ordinary tracks left by a horse without its horseshoes but to Nawen it was clear that it wasn't a horse that left these tracks. The tracks were smaller and a bit different.

"I wonder who left these." She said as she examined the tracks. She wasn't sure whether these tracks meant anything but from everything she saw so far they were the most unusual tracks so far.

Azuris simply shrugged. "Whatever floats your boat I guess." He never could wrap his mind around those of the long lived races, Countless years stretched out before them but they always seemed to be moping about the past or things that haven't happened yet, not taking advantage of their eternal youth and actually enjoying life. "As for me, Can't stand staying in one place for too long. Specially not in a temple devoted to a god I couldn't care less about. Nope, open road's where I'll stay. Maybe one day I'll find myself some young druidess to travel with." He said with a grin. "They know how to get rid of the aches in the morning heheh. Though there is the lack of bathing issue....."

-----------------------

Unlike Ginafae, Tannin had no interest in fighting the Beholders, in fact he had other plans entirely. He quickly moved in front of Gina facing the beholders with his empty hands outstretched. "Whoa whoa whoa! Lets all calm down here, I'll heal that for you if you'll listen to my proposal. And believe you me it's one that you're all far too smart to refuse." He said quickly, hoping that they would listen and that Gina wouldn't do anything stupider. On second thought, He took one step to the side. "If you want you can stun her before we talk if that'd make you all feel better."

It was well past sundown when they finally reached Shadowdale. Indeed, the moon was almost straight overhead. Bilron and his family were practically falling asleep in their saddles...as for Nawen's scouting party, the company had not yet caught word. Rhaine hoped they would meet together at the local inn, or just outside the gates...and perhaps find out if Tannin had actually found the Underdark entrance that Maydiira had mentioned.

As the group stabled their horses, the hands were speaking of troubles in Shadowdale. The local smith had been found murdered - decapitated, no less - and there was a growing panic that evil drow were afoot. This latter comment was coupled with nervous glances at Maydiira, but Rhaine reassured the stableboys that the drow meant no harm...and neither did the Ulitharid...or the thri-kreen.

As Bilron stabled the mules, he made an offhanded remark, "Sure hope I don't inherit that old smith's ill fortune..."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginafae nearly shrieked, "What in the Hells do you think you're-"

Before her phrase was finished, one of the beholders struck her with an eye beam that paralyzed her...leaving her in a rather awkward position with both her arms held in a defensive gesture, her hands tight around her weapons, her weight on one foot as she had attempted to back up. Though her body remained stationary, her mind was hyperactive...mostly thinking of ways she could sacrifice Tannin once the enchantment wore off...

All of the beholders then turned their many-eyed gaze to the half-drow, their saliva-laced mouths hanging open hungrily...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Valthanarax studied Ravenna for a few moments before returning his attention to the messengers.

"Very well. You heard her. Pull everyone into the chambers and do not let anyone wander. Alert the warriors and priests and make them ready for combat. As for the rest of you wizards, I would suggest you get to memorizing your spells...we shall be attacked shortly."

The brothers nodded fervently and scrambled to their feet, dashing down the corridors to make preparations for Rhaine's arrival...

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Alphonse awoke with a start as a blast of air hit him in the face. A horse had snorted right in his face, and of all the horses, it had to be Reona's, who seemed to be extra... snotty.

"Blech," he muttered, wiping his face with the sleeve of the robe he'd apparently bought a while ago. It was fitting of a mage, he guesed, but now it served as a nice handkerchief.

"You're finally awake!" the bubbly voice belonged to none other than Ianthe, who seemed very awake compared to Alphonse. "You fell asleep on your horse! Well, you and Reona did. Me and Arva decided to follow you guys, since your horses were veering off from the group."

Alphonse pinched the bridge of his nose between his forefinger and thumb. "Why didn't you just take our horses' reins and lead them?"

Arva, who was far off to Ianthe's left, turned red, "I guess we hadn't thought of that..."

Reona's eyes fluttered open, "Are we there yet?"

"No," Arva said while rubbing the back of his neck, "We're not really sure where we are."

Arland was uneasy. Scared, even.

Weyland could call him a coward all he wanted, but no smart man lived without fear. Fear was, provided it was used correctly, power. It made the body fight harder, run faster, last longer, and allowed one to ignore pain. But it could also be a traitor...it could show in facial expressions, and that was what Arland was scared of now.

His behaviour, demeanor, and expression were all perfectly normal (training and experience helped with that.) but if one looked deeply into his eyes they could see the touch of fear that gnawed on his mind at that very moment. Nobles were one thing, but the murder of a simple blacksmith was another. If they found out about this, he'd be hated and shunned, sure, but it was more the physical consequences he was worried about. He doubted that they'd doubt his explanation behind it, especially when Kento and Maydiira were here to at least tell their version of the story and confirm Ginafae's presence, if nothing else. He did find himself puzzled over why neither of them had said anything, particularly Maydiira. Not that he was complaining. But he was incredibly worried about Rhaine's reaction if she found it. Or, for that matter, Weyland's. What would his own brother think of him?

Weyland and Amendale dismounted their horses, clueless to Arland's inner turmoil, and stretched, feeling their joints crack.

"Good to know that soon I get to kill something again." Weyland cracked his neck.

"You should be more mindful than that." Amendale scolded, before running a list of spells he'd need to improve on through his head.

Edited by Flipout6

Kowolj saw the tracks Nawen found followed. Nearby was a root that was obviously cut by a blade, along with a non-lethal amount of a few drops of blood. This obviously warranted further examination, as it seemed as though Nawen's strange tracks and this scene were somehow involved. Even further analysis revealed a rather strange scent, much like an animal during mating season. He turned to Tak'we, remembering what he had said about Tannin's scent: it seemed as though they had found their trail.