Tales of Faerun

AurianaValoria1

Arland and Amendale listened to Rhaine's announcements intently. While Amendale silently nodded his acceptance and continued aid on the quest, Arland sat there and kept thinking through a mouthful of bacon (which he kept the hells away from Tak'We.)

"Unlike Mister Chipper here-" Arland jerked a thumb towards Xundus. "-I didn't strictly agree to come along here. And Weyland 'n' I've got family in Westgate we haven't seen for half a decade in my case or a decade and a half for his. Chances are all of you are going on without me and probably without him." He then forked another piece of bacon into his mouth.

Amendale gaped at Arland not out of surprise that Arland was staying behind but the idea that Weyland might be. He'd have to talk to his friend about this later.

Weyland, meanwhile, was still upstairs. He'd nearly dozed off again upon sitting back down when he heard Dri move and felt eyes on him. He opened his own and looked at her.

"Mornin'." He greeted groggily, and he sat himself back up from a leaning position and stood on his feet. "You passed out on me- as in, literally on my shoulder- last night so I brought you up here. Kept an eye on the door for ya, too. Make sure none of those thieves showed u-" He suddenly caught on to the fact that Dri's skin and hair were grey, and her eyes lacking any evident pupils. Weyland didn't panic or even flinch, instead opting to stand there agape for a second, and then rub his hands across his face. "Damn I must be hung over." And with that, he casually walked out of the room.

Downstairs, he found Rhaine speaking to everybody about something, and inquired about the topic.

"Apparently we're going up against some really powerful psionics that kidnapped Kalin." Arland mentioned as if it were the most normal thing in the world.

"Uh...okay?" Weyland answered uncertainly and a little sluggishly.

"We'll find them in the Shaar." Amendale began explaining. "They're located near one of the phylacteries, but given the dangerous nature of the psionics, Valthanarax's possible presence, and cultists, Rhaine's giving us the option to part ways with the group, be it here or Westgate, incase we don't wish to continue."

"Family's in Westgate." Arland interjected. "I know I'm stayin' with them. Figured you would too, being missing for fifteen winters and all."

Weyland thought about this as he stole half of Arland's remaining bacon, bought himself some apple juice and eggs, and sat down beside Amendale. "That's....well, that's a tough decision." He stated to nobody in particular, frowning deeply. "Can't in good conscience stay behind, but I can't leave everyone behind again, either. Especially when I may never see them again." He looked apologetically at Rhaine. "Damn. I need some time to think on this, Rhaine. I hope that's alright by you."

Edited by Flipout6

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dri couldn't believe Weyland's reaction, and shakily got out of bed after waiting to see if he would come crashing back in in disbelief. Thank Tymora!, she thought with a deep sigh, and went about changing back to her more normal form. It would very likely come up later, she just knew it would, but for now...

I won't worry about it. She cleaned herself up a bit and eventually made it downstairs and listened to Amendale's summary of what was going on. Dri paled at the thought of having to face such threats, but if the Greys were going, so would she. She was surprised to learn then that Arland and possibly even Weyland might be staying behind in Westgate.

*But, what about your friends, you two?* she mouthed to the two brothers, upset by the idea that they'd might leave. *What about our friends? I mean, I haven't been of any great use to the group so far, but I can't let everyone go without me. All of you have been so nice to me. I can't go without at least returning the favor.*

Tak'we listened attentatively after Rhaine began to speak, putting the strange events of last night out of his mind. He was surprised and angered to learn that Kalin, even though he didn't know the strange softskin very well, was being held prisoner, but he was more excited by the thought of returning to his homeland. I will finally get to go home? Mother Moon be praised!

"Rhaine," the thri-kreen looked at her with his unblinking eyes, "though thiss one iss greatly thankful to Mother Moon and the spiritss to finally be going home again after sso many long moonss, thiss one will sstay with our clutch. All of you are the greatesst softskins thiss one hass ever met, and thiss one will ssooner die than leave you now."

He looked at Weyland and Arland, chittering sadly. "Thiss one knows your feelingss, clutchbrothers. Thiss one hass not sseen the warm ssandss of thiss one'ss home for many moonss asss well, and if thiss one did not have good clutchmatess now, thiss one would sstay as well." *Tcktcktck!* Tak'we tilted his head to one side. "But thiss one hass good clutchmatess, and sso..." he looked at everyone around him. "Tak'we will sstay. But I understand."

Edited by GrueMaster

Rhaine listened to first Arland and then Weyland, nodding slowly before replying,"You will both have plenty of time to think on it. The journey to Westgate will be at least a tenday, and that's if the weather proves favorable...which is why we need to get going. Kalin doesn't have much time."

With that, she departed the inn, Dagny, Conall, and Argyros not far behind. They took their horses from the stable and began boarding the Sea Compass, securing the steeds in the cargo hold. Afterwards, Conall and Argyros stayed on the top deck, watching the glittering waters of the harbor. Dagny remained below, not at all looking forward to the rocking movements of the ship.

Intent on locating Shalena, the Doomguide rapped on the captain's cabin door and waited for a response. She wanted to discuss the journey with the captain and all the possible ways they could make it faster.

After leaving Kiira and Rhegar in cargo hold as she remembered that the pirate captain disliked wolves especially after Fenrir killed her friend, Nawen joined Conall and Argyros on the top deck. She wasn't looking forward for more sea travel. Last time was bad enough, who knows what might happen this time.

Shalena knew that the adventurers have arrived by all the ruckus their horses made but she wasn't on the top deck to greet them. The half-elf remained in her cabin, looking at the maps and with the quartermaster doing last minute checks to see if they had everything they needed for the journey.

"Come in," Shalena said as she heard the knock on the door. Ship's quartermaster gathered all of his papers and left the cabin, leaving the door open for Rhaine to enter.

"One of my men brought me a gift from you, thank you." She said. The cape that Rhaine had given was hanging in the closet and could be seen through the slightly open door. "Anyway, came here to discuss the course of our journey?"

Rhaine stepped into the cabin, closing the door behind her.

"Yes, I have," she replied, crossing her arms atop her breastplate, "I've heard it said that the Sea Compass is the fastest ship on the Sea of Fallen Stars. But how fast is 'fast'? How long will it take us to reach Westgate in fair weather and in poor? One of my companion's lives is one the line, and I'd like to keep this ship as steady in her flight as possible."

=========================

Conall and Argyros made room for Nawen between them, both sliding sideways so she could lean on the railing if she so chose.

"Funny," the paladin spoke after a few moments, "The first time we were on this ship, we were prisoners of a sort. Now we're using it to speed us on a quest to save someone's life. It's interesting what twists of fate can occur."

Argyros glanced up, watching the clouds with a curious fascination. Not looking away, he addressed Nawen, "So...I saw that shot you made - hitting Ivanthyriatryx squarely in the eye. You prove once again that you are, indeed, a champion archer. Tell me...is there anything in particular you would purchase with your winnings? Or shall you save the coin, as some of the more settled peoples are wont to do?"

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Shalena glanced at the map spread out on the table and drew the line with her finger from Dilpur to Westgate. "That's pretty far, isn't it?" She said and looked back at Rhaine as a proud smile spread across her lips. "Whoever talked about my ship being the fastest were right. It will take about nine or ten days to reach Westgate. Twelve days if the weather is going to be poor."

"Of course we could reach Westgate sooner if I still had one particular sorcerer aboard but sadly I had to cut his hands off for stealing from me." Shalena chuckled. This particular memory never stopped amusing the captain.

"Is there something else you wanted to ask?" She said as she turned her attention back to Rhaine.

==============================================

Nawen leaned on the railing and looked at the people working at the docks.

"Thank you," she said to Argyros when he complimented her archery skills, "but it's far from it. I missed twice before hitting where I originally wanted." She said and glanced at the moon elf who was watching the clouds.

"I honestly don't know how to spend it. I was thinking about buying more supplies or keep it in case we're going to run out of coin." While preparing for the archery competition she heard other contestants thinking out loud what they're going to do with the prize once they're going to win. Some wanted to spend it on celebration, some on a new and better bow but Nawen was more than happy with her simple Duskwood bow. It didn't look impressive at all but it was a sturdy bow and she made it herself even though it took almost twenty years to make.

"Do have any suggestions?" She asked.

Rhaine nodded as Shalena's estimation seemed close to her own. The Doomguide prayed that they could make it within nine days; every bit of time mattered.

She did not comment on the gruesome fate of the sorcerer, rather inclining her head to the pirate and replying with a smile, "That is all, captain. Thank you. Let us be underway."

With that, she left Shalena's cabin and awaited their departure...

=================================

Argyros finally looked away from the clouds, meeting Nawen's gaze with his own, "Suggestions? Not particularly...if you have no desire to spend it, then perhaps it is best to keep it until it is needed, yes? I have never been good with these things, myself. But such is my way, I suppose."

His reply did not betray a lack of self-confidence, Conall noted. In fact, the moon elf seemed almost assured in his assessment of himself - it was a mere statement of fact. The lack of change in Argyros's expression suggested that he was comfortable in his own skin and with his own skills; where others would see a need for improvement, the elf merely saw what was.

He was an enigma to be sure, and Conall began to wonder if there wasn't more to the pale elf than met the eye...

=================================

Six days later.

Their journey thus far had been, by the grace of the gods, uneventful. Just as Shalena had predicted, they were only roughly three days away from port. The Sea Compass sailed smoothly and swiftly, its rocking motion, at times, barely noticeable. The crew, even with a significantly decreased number, worked quite efficiently. Whether or not this was due to their skill, Shalena's metaphorical iron grip, or a combination of both, was as of yet unknown.

Conall spent most of the daytime hours on the top deck, near the prow, watching the rolling waves as they broke around the ship in white curls. Occasionally, his thoughts would trail to Fenrir, who had been shot and wounded the last time they were on the Sea Compass. Oddly enough, though, the paladin bore no hatred towards Shalena. He was merely lonely, now, without his beloved white wolf. Aodh seemed to sense his grief, and would often remain nearby - wrapped around the railing or a rope - merely for company's sake. The two would only retire belowdecks when the moon was far into the sky each night.

Argyros, likewise, stayed mostly on the top deck, observing the actions of the crew. Sometimes, he would sit at the stern with his legs dangling off, staring at the glittering waters below or at the puffy white clouds in the sky. To anyone who saw him, he would seem like a dreamy individual, spending most of his time in faraway silence.

Dagny, on the other hand, wished she'd stayed in Dilpur. The poor dwarf's days and nights were filled with queasy misery; she never quite needed a bucket, but she was always just sick enough to keep her from eating much. This nausea had actually kept her from drinking ale from her new Everfull Mug...which was saying quite a lot.

Rhaine was restless, constantly moving from one deck to another during the day. During the night, she stayed awake very late, studying the Cult map by candlelight. She would frequently send brief messages to Kalin through his ring, mostly short words of reassurance or encouragement. She had no idea if the elan could hear her or not, but that would not stop her from trying to save his life in every way possible...even if it was only a few phrases to grant strength.

Now, as the sixth day of sailing approached the evening hours, the Doomguide sat alone at the pirates' long mess table, tapping her gloved fingers on the wood impatiently. Her chin was propped on one hand, her eyes staring off into space as her mind whirred with thoughts.

Edited by AurianaValoria1

Tannin kept to himself the majority of the journey, filling hundreds of pages and large sheets of parchment with who knows what. On the evening of the fifth day however he finally put his quill down and rejoined the group in his usual friendly attitude, though he remained secretive about the nature of his work.

On the sixth day he barged into the mess hall with several rolled up pieces of parchment tucked under his shoulder. "Amazing how hard it is to find people on this thing." He said when he saw Rhaine sitting at the table. "Though not as amazing as the fact that the journey's gone so smoothly so far, but then there is still a chance for that to be rectified. Hopefully we'll get lucky and it stays this quiet." He said casually as he approached her. "So you don't look too happy." He commented as he dumped the parchment rolls onto the table. "Cabin fever? Or has something else taken a hold of your mood?" He asked her in a concerned tone.

Rhaine was broken out of her reverie by Tannin's voice. Glancing up, she saw his arms full of parchment - presumably what he had been working on so fervently - his attitude oddly contrasting with what it had been the previous few days. As he dropped the scrolls before her and inquired about her state of mind, she raised an eyebrow. So far as she knew, he hadn't been one to care much about the way she felt...

The Doomguide sighed heavily, "I am...impatient, is all. I feel somewhat helpless while on this vessel; restricted and at the mercy of nature until we reach port." She pushed off from the table and looked askance at the half-drow before adding, "Do I really look that terrible?"

At first, Tak'we was glad (though puzzled) that they would be traveling so quickly. That quickly changed, however, when he saw their means of travel. *K'TCK'CHA!!* "Not another sstupid boat!" Knowing very well that it was the fastest possible way available to them, though, he consigned himself to spending yet another miserable time in one of the spirit-forsaken vessels.

Dri, though concerned about what would happen once they reached Westgate, and especially concerned about what would happen after, didn't offer any more of her thoughts on the Grey Brothers' choice.

We'll just have to see once we get there, I guess. She thought to herself, then made sure all of her things were together and boarded the Sea Compass with the others.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dri was having the time of her life on board the ship over the past six days, greatly enjoying the ocean breezes and the view from the crow's nest. Granted, in the beginning, she had some difficulty getting used to the rolling of the deck, but the girl quickly adapted, and would often spend time exploring the ship whenever she could.

Tak'we, on the other hand, had not gotten used to sailing at all, and could be seen at least once a day cleaning his mandibles with a rag and a bucket of water because of his stomach emptying itself over the rails. The constant humidity was only adding to the thri-kreen's misery. Stupid softskins, he thought bitterly. No one should be traveling on the great waters.

Neither would he spend time below deck; the closeness and dankness reminding him far too much of the slave ship he had been imprisoned on so many moons ago. As he once again emptied the contents of his stomach, three words kept repeating in Tak'we's head:

I hate this...

Edited by GrueMaster