How do I reset fog through console?

epicmainbro114

I wanted to get rid of the fog in-game so did the console command: setfog 1 0. I thought it would return the next time I restarted the game but it's still gone. So can anybody tell me how to reset the fog with the in-game console? I have done a google search but can only find commands to get rid of the fog.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers :smile:

Edited by epicmainbro114

AKAIK most “set” commands become permanent if you make a save after initiating them (maybe all? Not sure. Have never used one that didn't). The values you change will get baked into your save file. For example, set timescale, setav (actor value) values that are changed will become permanent if you make a save after changing the values. Based on what you’ve posted, setfog is the same. You can try changing the weather with an fw command, but I doubt that will restore any fog since you’ve changed its base value. If it does, great.

Otherwise, you seem to have two options:
1: find out what the default fog values are and restore them (which seems to be the crux of your question)

2: revert to a save prior to making your console command change

Not much I could find on the use of setfog other than this old entry on the Bethesda wiki for the F03 GECK.

It explains what the values mean and what they affect but says nothing about the default values. Yes, it’s old but the usage and syntax seem unchanged in the FO4 implementation.

You might be able to get the default values from an old save using the “show ” command, but I have no idea if that will work. It certainly won’t hurt anything to try. I'm not near a machine that I can look at, but maybe someone knows if fog values are stored in a default .ini file. If so, maybe you could gain some insight by looking at the fog values from an .ini entry if they exist.

The path of least effort would seem to be to revert to an earlier save and call it done.

This should illustrate why a console command shouldn’t be used unless you fully understand what it does and what it changes, and how you go about undoing the changes (or have a save file to revert to) if you change your mind or run into problems.

Edited by RedRocketTV

@RedRocketTV

Thanks for the reply amigo. I did find an old steam post with the default fog setting through console command but for the life of me I can't find it. Looks like I'll have to revert to an older save and that ain't a hassle as I love the game :smile:

Cheers