Sten's not that bad on second thought.

skyquest32

He is just a solder and nothing but. Controlled and ordered, basic logic...''he believes what makes sense for him to believe'', what philosophy he has supports rational design, for maintaining his society wherever he comes from and dose not threaten his kind. He dose not like something trying to be what its not. He respects place and point. The law of identification.

In other words he is a simple, strong man with a great will and workable philosophy. As shown by not becoming deranged or losing his dignity and begging, over those 20 days while being gawked at by the chantey idiots at the point of near death.

He's a stranger in a strange land.

His choices would support the objective, and safety, of the party and nothing but...conversely, Morrigan's logical, also lovable, but with other self interests as she is a unique person and fun.

I think the problem was trying to see ''the Sten'' out of context.

Clever for him, to use his title as a name letting everyone assume it was a name, and thereby causing them to use it:

''I think, he must have had to do that to make things seem tolerable and adapt... and he, no doubt, got a conflicting, if chagrined, perverse satisfaction from it. His outburst of challenge and command, are indicative of that, and displacement as well, in my opinion.''

Therefor, given this way of looking at it: He is not being a simple ''A.hole'' and so, one cant help but sympathize and respect the man.

• 2 weeks later...

:happy: ...I always leave him in his cage. I do not like him.That whole Quanari thing seems more fitting for science fiction outerspace milieu of Mass Effect anyway. Just thought :sick:

Your thinking early stargate-sg1 before the continued the show past its time, and it wore out it welcome.

Sten could step into that television mythology, and he could be one of those guys with the symbol on there heads''Jaffa'' quite easily were these different circumstances.

I always thought the ''Goa'uld'' in SG-SG1 were terribly romantic and amusing, if portrayed a little over the top, to force propaganda. The Goa'uld were beautiful and Life affirming somehow. Most of them, not all.

With the horrors people inflect on each other everyday, in the news, without listing to proper philosophical leadership, and in keeping with base Un-modified, non illusory reinforced, human nature.

I am hard pressed to see the villainy in such things in a fictional context, as symbolism, I see only the beauty in such shows. The Potential order, evolutionary metaphor, possibility of innocence and Aesthetics, Discernment.

Also a metaphor for the destruction of cultures from the outside, without understanding, which is common historically.

To Paraphrase a famous storyteller: Many a man ''civilization'' Has tried to make his ''its'' own wonderland, but the barbarians always come knocking, in the end.