What Gaming RIG do you have? =]

DaisukeJP

Morwyn Kelm,

Is the general consensus on SSD and page files is to disable the page file ?

I thought the jury was still undecided but will give it a go.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Consensus? I only trust my own. I haven't used a pagefile in 15-20 years. I have *never* had a problem and you can believe I push my rigs HARD.

Ensure you have at least 4GB on 32bit, or 8GB on 64bit.

Disable it entirely, everything runs better. After all, that's what RAM is for.

Edited by Morwyn Kelm

I'm considering getting the following rig so advice is greatly appreciated (been 10 years since I bought a PC):

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 3.4 GHz BOX

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3

RAM: Corsair DDR3 2x4096MB 1600MHz

I'm still deciding which GPU to get:

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 570 1.28GB

XFX Radeon HD 7950 Dual Heatpipe 3GB

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB

Price isn't an issue between the vid cards, but if you're not really getting any noticeable increase in performance, why bother getting the more expensive ones.

Edited by PsxMeUP

RAM, put 16GB on the board, 4x4, you'll be glad you did. As for the video card, either of the Radeon's are very nice, I have 2x 7950's with 3GB and the extra RAM is amazing.

PsxMeUP

I would go with Nvidia, (better driver updates, they seem to have a better relationship with more game makers, for now anyway) but what about the 600 series, they have just come out so are pretty pricey and limited in range but over the new few months we will see more cards, right now it seems only the very top end and lower end are available but i think may 10th (could be wrong, got it from wikipedia) the 670 comes out.

Ill bite too.

Crappy Foxconn mainboard soc755

Intel 2.8 duo

gtx 560 (not the ti)

samsung 32in 1920x1080 tv

6gb ram nothing special

C:\250gb and D:\1000gb mechanical drives

All sitting in a cooler master haf932

Next upgrade will be a cpu/mainboard

Consensus? I only trust my own. I haven't used a pagefile in 15-20 years. I have *never* had a problem and you can believe I push my rigs HARD.

Ensure you have at least 4GB on 32bit, or 8GB on 64bit.

Disable it entirely, everything runs better. After all, that's what RAM is for.

I disabled my page file to see what happened. It was a fresh windows load, so I thought it a good opportunity to try. Windows got flakey pretty quick. I had several services stop and throw up error boxes. I enable the page file and windows started behaving properly.

CPU: i5 2500k @3.3Ghz(stock) with a Phanteks PH-TC14PE(push-pull)

MB: Asus Sabretooth p67 Rev 3

Ram: Corsair Vengeance (4x4)16Gb 9-9-9-24

Video Card: GTX 570 Superclocked(Factory) 1280Mb I regret not dishing out the extra cash for a 580.

HDD: WD 500GB

Case: HAF 932

Monitor: ViewSonic VX2450

PS: CoolerMaster 850W PSU

Running at 1920x1080 (basically Ultra except the following) AFx16 AAx2 with SMAA(looks great): Mods: High Res Texture(official), Warzones(high Spawns), Deadly Dragons/ OCS/ PISE and ASIS <-- Pise successor in a way/ and other mods. Runs very well, except when dealing with Caster class enemies in certain Warzones, swarms of them really thanks to PISE/ASIS. The other mods are armour and weapons mods, pretty simple mods really.