esp > esm

thegrumpyoldlimey

I am part way through a large quest mod with a new worldspace and multiple interiors. I need the final mod to be an esm file to deal with navmesh/ai issues since the player will enter some cells multiple times. I used TESVSnip - when I looked online what I seeemd to see was that i should load up the esp - select the TES4 record, right click to edit, check the box for ESM and then save as an .esm. Trouble is when I load the .esm to play the npc that initates the quest is not there, have not even tested past that point as without the quest initiation it seems pointless.

I can only assume that I have the process for turning my esp into an esm wrong somewhere along the way. It would be geat if anyone could point me in the direction of what I might be doing wrong. I am a couple of months into the mod with way too much done to start again but without being able to get to an .esm format and avoid the navmesh bug issues I am not sure the mod is worth continuing with.

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers anyone is able to give me.

Hall Of The Dragon Priests

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=12713

WIP - Vorenak's Caldera

Hi there,

With TESVSnip, it was not possible for me to create an .esm, always an error message, so I used Wrye Bash. That is very easy, just right click the .esp and say 'copy to .esm'.

But remember, you normally can't change an .esm with another .esm, so if you have any edits to the vanilla game in your plugin, it still has to be in an .esp.

Regards

Ghaun

Hi there,

With TESVSnip, it was not possible for me to create an .esm, always an error message, so I used Wrye Bash. That is very easy, just right click the .esp and say 'copy to .esm'.

But remember, you normally can't change an .esm with another .esm, so if you have any edits to the vanilla game in your plugin, it still has to be in an .esp.

Regards

Ghaun

Thanks I will try that. The only changes in vanilla are a few additions of statics and load doors to gain entry to my mods, I have not moved anything or tried to delete anything so I am hoping since they are additons only they will still function from an esm since I am not actually "changing" anything?

Hi there,

Regards

Ghaun

Thanks I will try that. The only changes in vanilla are a few additions of statics and load doors to gain entry to my mods, I have not moved anything or tried to delete anything so I am hoping since they are additons only they will still function from an esm since I am not actually "changing" anything?

Interesting - the NPC is there now - and the navmeshes work even after entering and leaving cells multiple times - now my only problem is the quest initiating npc has "lost" his dialogue/voice - but that is definately progress - at least i know the navmeshes will work - just have to figure out what is going on with the dialogue now. Thanks a lot.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the esm has issues with scripts so your esm should only have static objects (general rule) and any npcs and linked doors should be added in a secondary esp.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the esm has issues with scripts so your esm should only have static objects (general rule) and any npcs and linked doors should be added in a secondary esp.

Well I figured it would work since I have used a couple of mods - Dovarkiin Hideout being the main one - that have everything in an esm and no esp and seem to work fine. However seeing what is happening to my mod my guess is you are right [though my scripts do work it seems only the script fragments attached to the quests do not along with the dialogue and associated voice disappearing] everything else appears to work fine and I have a lot of scripts in there on objects.

Looks I have to figure out how to move some things to an esm and leave the rest in the esp or hope Bethesda fix the navmesh bug which is the only reason I am even thinking esm. I am new to modding and I guess I should have done a little more research before getting so far in - you live and learn. Thanks