Terry Pratchett's Discworld

VTBlade

11 members have voted

1. 1. If I build it, will they come?

• Yes I would play a discworld total conversion.
    • No I wouldn't be bothered...not worth building.

Hi all :)

I am a huge fan of the Discworld series of novels and have begun building a new world from heightmap. As I am sure you are aware, this is no mean feat in its own right... I have managed to get a heightmap in to the ck, however water level is incorrect, and of course lod is non existant.

I have so far been familiarising myself with the ck and can churn out an interior space quite proficiently.

I was wondering if anyone has actually been able to effectively and consistently produce working lod and would be willing to help out... Also I have no experience what so ever at 3d modelling, so would like to know if anyone could help with clothes and armour.

I generally envisage the discworld environments, buildings and races would not be that dissimilar to those of skyrim so lots of this project would mostly be about the time consuming process of constructing the world detail.

So... What do you think? Anyone able to and interested in helping?

Edited by VTBlade

You may run into copyright problems with this. Especially if some game company has bought the rights to make a Diskworld game. We saw this when someone wanted to do a Harry Potter conversion. They actually got a nasty letter from lawyers.

We do know that Sir Terry Pratchett is a fan of Oblivion as he has helped at least one modder with a companion mod. :thumbsup: - Mostly with suggestions and some classic Pratchett dialog. Not Diskworld based however.

While I applaud you fro your ambition, I'm not sure if you know just how much work you are proposing. It the 6 years Oblivion has been out, we have exactly ONE fully working total conversion out and running (Nehrim). Hundreds of others have been proposed, started, been dropped and started again then dropped again. Nehrim was made by a dedicated team of highly competent game programmers - It took nearly 4 years to complete.

What you are proposing is for a dozen people to drop whatever they do in their spare time and dedicate several years to a project that has very little chance of seeing completion. People will quit, there will be conflicts of interest, demands, changes in scope and many other problems. As project lead, you can expect to do most of the work on your own as that is likely the only way it will get done.

Instead, start small. Make a small Diskworld related mod and put it into the game - Skyrim should fit well in the Ramtop mountains of Diskworld. Throw in a few famous Diskworld characters such as Foul ole Ron with Gaspode or 71 Hour Ahmed or C.M.O.T. Dibbler or Cohen the Barbarian would be interesting to run into. :tongue:

Cheers for the feedback mate...yeah, I do know its no small task lol, and maybe starting small maybe an ease into it...

once again, cheers for feedback

@Above

I think he was more saying that it could be copyright enfringment...I'd address that before assessing the size of the task.

The copyright issue was noticed thanks...and as soon as it was brought to my attention, I began steps to contact Terry Pratchett... :)

• 3 weeks later...

@VTBlade

Several of us Discworld fans have started a post addressing any and all Discworld related conent for Skyrim.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/673797-skyrim-discworld-mod-talk/

So with any luck we can get permission from Sir Terry Pratchett to get working on Discworld content. I too am trying to get in touch with him for this puropse. Nothing so far. Let me know if you get a hold of him.

Edited by Voivod333

@VTBlade

Several of us Discworld fans have started a post addressing any and all Discworld related conent for Skyrim.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/673797-skyrim-discworld-mod-talk/

So with any luck we can get permission from Sir Terry Pratchett to get working on Discworld content. I too am trying to get in touch with him for this puropse. Nothing so far. Let me know if you get a hold of him.

Look at Bben's comment, I searched for Terry Pratchet playing Oblivion. I found an interview in which he states that he does not think that Discworld will make a very good Rpg, and wouldn't advocate it. I would still ask him, if you are able to get a hold of him (he gets quite a lot of fan-mail as you may imagine), but bear this in mind.

Just trying to help... :)

Edited by ThoseTolerableNoobs