Portal Mod

Pokegami

5 members have voted

1. 1. What is the feasibility of a Portal mod for Oblivion?

• Easy, with hard light surfaces, discouragement beams - the works.
    • Only the very basics can be made, and even then it wouldn't be "professional".
    • Requires OBSE and twenty years up a mountain learning how to use it.
    • Anything for combustible lemons!

Is a Portal mod possible for Oblivion? There are already storage/companion cube and portal device resources out there. I'm looking for "basic" Portal here. Just portals, cubes, and buttons. I don't need animated doors or anything, I can just use a lock and unlock system. But the question is: is it possible to detect when a cube is on a button and when it is taken off one? The former can be addressed with OnTriggerMob (providing cubes and the player are the only items in the room, the portal gun can have a quest item flag), but I can't see how scripting can notice when a cube is taken off of a button, to lock the door again.

P.S. I've made combustible lemons for Organomancy, plan to release it soon...

It would not be flawless and probably not pretty, but it could done.

A while loop could push the portal away from the player until it exits the players LOS (hopefully behind a wall) then pull it back until it re-enters their LOS (coming back in front of the wall). The way I see it - no pun intended - the portals would not make the wall "transparent", but a trigzone centred over it could automatically move the player to the connecting portal with moveto.

Not as complicated as it would seem, but probably a lot of bugs involved.

And I've never actually played Portal, so I'm not sure what the cubes are.

Edited by WarRatsG

I keep saying, I don't need portals. Cubes are cubes.

Sorry I misunderstood :confused:

I'm looking for "basic" Portal here. Just portals, cubes, and buttons.

Anyway, I've never actually played the Portal games before, so I don't know what the cubes do. Could you possibly explain?

It's basically about physical objects interacting with trigger plates. You put cubes on buttons and a door opens, or whatever.

From what I know the game itself supports this already. But I don't know the details and really can't explain how to setup such havok trigger mechanism in the CS. I'm sorry.

You put cubes on buttons and a door opens, or whatever.

That can't be hard - just have an object that the player can't pick up (an empty OnActivate Block) but can still grab and kick around, then set up a button with a TrigZone on top. Cube enters TrigZone, TrigZone runs button animation, button opens door.

Is that the idea?

Absolutely. Can you explain how to script that? Also, the player can also stand on the button. What I'd do to prevent cheating is have a script similar to the jail evidence chest one (explain how this works?!) on the player as s/he enters the test chamber, instead equipping him or her with a quest item flagged robe and a quest item flagged Staff of Portals or Madgod Power spell.

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=25493

http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=14477

Those are the current 2 portal mods. The former requires OBSE and is a staff so it is more accurate... but the latter is simpler.

Actually, there's no script on the Evidence Chests. They must be hard-coded somehow. Still, all that you would need to do is put this somewhere in one of your scripts...

Player.RemoveAllItems <Target Container> 1

All items will be removed from the player and put into the target container. The 1 means that all items retain their ownership data, so that stolen items aren't cleared or anything.

There a few slight issues. It does not remove quest items. It does not remove "unplayable" items. Any equipped quest items will be unequipped, but their enchantments will still affect the player, and cannot be equipped ever again.

You could then equip items on the player with "Player.EquipItem".

As for the cubes, I would need a little more info about your preferences. They could be the "recycled" Ayleid pressure plates, but they don't stay pressed when you stand on them. Or, you could create entirely new buttons, from whatever you want. Basically, do you want the predetermined button animation that will maybe look a little better but will not stay pressed, or do you want me to script a basic animation that will be a bit more responsive and more easily tweaked for different objects?

Edited by WarRatsG