SMAA = Great quality AND performance

Staind716

I don't run any enb or fxaa injectors. I tried the SMAA plain d3d9 dll file and everything was bright and washed out. So I tried the SMAA dll it says to use if you have enb and it seemed to work. I turned game AA off, but to be honest I can't really tell the difference. I've left AA off for now, but was wondering can I put it back to x8 and run this

Why??

There's no reason to try to use SMAA and MSAA at the same time.

There is if you can't tell the difference with no AA and SMAA. The reason there is no performance loss is it isn't doing anything.. Well not that I can see.

Not sure if this is working right for me either. FXAA for me does a better job at smoothing out edges, but blurs the image. SMAA on the other hand seems to only smooth some edges for me.

You can also apply 2x with the SMAA in the launcher and get better results. Have you tried that? :)

I use this lighting mod clicky which make the colours more vibrant, i don't really have a need for any further tweaks or smoothing as i reckon it look great already and i play the game at 1152x864! :O Edited by GoodfellowGoodspring

I use this lighting modclicky which make the colours mod vibrant, i don't really have a need for any further tweaks or smoothing as i reckon it look great already and i play the game at 1152x864! :O

I'm glad you're happy with your game. That's what it's all about. :thumbsup: I just posted this for people who are looking for that extra little something so that they know it's available. SMAA is relatively new so a lot of people haven't heard of it yet and I'm just trying to get the word out. Since everybody has different tastes and settings it's not for everyone just like anything else but a lot of people who have tried it are pleased with the results. Just trying to be helpful. :)

Can you get it to work with nVidia Optimus?

Hmm, I don't have Optimus myself but I don't see why this wouldn't work with it. If for some reason it doesn't (and I think it will) then it is really easy to uninstall and your game will be back to normal with no side effects. It is definitely worth trying though. Everyone I know who is using this is very happy with the results. :smile:

I wish it would work! This is an existing problem with Optimus cards. nVidia has ignored this issue. There's one version of ENB that works with Optimus. Do you have any advice for me trying to get it to work, knowing that there is an ENB version that works?

Can you get it to work with nVidia Optimus?

Hmm, I don't have Optimus myself but I don't see why this wouldn't work with it. If for some reason it doesn't (and I think it will) then it is really easy to uninstall and your game will be back to normal with no side effects. It is definitely worth trying though. Everyone I know who is using this is very happy with the results. :smile:

I wish it would work! This is an existing problem with Optimus cards. nVidia has ignored this issue. There's one version of ENB that works with Optimus. Do you have any advice for me trying to get it to work, knowing that there is an ENB version that works?

Really not sure about it but I will do a little research and let you know if I can figure anything out. It's pitiful how Nvidia doesn't support Optimus the way they should.

• 7 months later...

SMAA does not even compare to the quality of MSAA, at least on my rig. MSAA doesn't seem to anti-alias high-contrast, fine lines... The flying jellyfish tendrils in Blackreach, for instance... The tips are are as jagged as if I have no AA active. It will apparently apply AA to more lower contrast lines, but doesn't seem to touch high-contrast lines -- The most visible kind.

Unless I'm missing something, touting SMAA as highly as the OP did is simply lying.

I'd like to find high-quality AA so I can use the new ENB versions, but I simply don't think it's out there.