Is the CK Borked? Is MY CK Borked?

LittleBaron

I am experiencing more and more crazy issues with .esp's that I work on...

Behavior like non-game-start quests suddenly starting at game start without having been touched, Items no longer added to inventories that were working just fine previously, the courier suddenly tracking me down in order to deliver NOTHING despite the fact that he used to deliver a particular letter and the Book Property and script involved in doing that were not touched...

Not to mention that the CK bsa packer stopped working a while ago for unknown reasons.

I would try to re-install the CK but it appears to exist on the Steam Cloud. Yay. Does anyone know how that works? Do I have my own borked copy floating out in the ether that I might possibly be able to delete and re-install?

Is anyone else experience inexplicable issues with mods they are working on?

The CK is generally unreliable. Skyrim itself is generally unreliable. The CK auto-archive function is very very unreliable and only an expert should use it because it gives very bad advice and often leads you to package mods wrong so that they won't work for anybody but yourself.

Skyrim is really really buggy. I see things like missing textures on items in-game (the items are white) actors drinking from cups that aren't there, quests not starting when they are supposed to, and dialog not showing up when it is supposed to.

Some of the suspected causes:

(1) Lag. When your framerate is bad, your scripts will also misfire and your quests and dialog will go to pot.

(2) Savegame memory errors. Your savegame remembers what mods you used to have and can ignore the new mods you install or the one you are building.

(3) Incompletely removed mods. When mods are removed, their script files all need to be removed too.

(4) Mod conflicts causing all manner of weird bugs and people not even being sure that the issue is conflict-related.

I would unsync the CK from the cloud, its just eating up bandwidth to save backups you probably will never use anyway. Thats easy to do. right click the shortcut for the CK inside steam. select properties. in the updates tab there is a checkbox for sync to the cloud. uncheck that and you are good to go there. while you are still in the properties go to the local files tab and click the verify integrity of tool cache button and let it do its thing.

I also suggest verifying the Skyrim game cache while you are at it. its in the same location, right click and select properties. same tabs.

@ David Brasher: Thanks for letting me know I'm not just losing it and for the list of suspects. I think # 2 and # 3 make sense for me. It's annoying that instead of building I will need to spend time trying to get the game to 'forget' mistakes and accept revisions.

@jet4571: Thanks for the tip(s). SKYRIM came out OK but there were '2 failed files' for the CK. No idea which 2 files, but hopefully since they have no been re-dl'd I'll get some added stability? Fingers crossed.Oh, and no more stupid syncing! Yay!

Those 2 failed files were probably what was causing the problems you were having. That's the first thing i do with any steam game that starts acting up, check the cache. As for why they sync the CK I dont know its not a game where you could use cloud to backup your saves or transfer them to another computer.

As for why they sync the CK I dont know its not a game where you could use cloud to backup your saves or transfer them to another computer.

Does it sync your mod files to work on them on another pc?

Edited by Stemin