Need help with writing books for a mod.

It's not the font, it's the specific characters. However you are encoding the text, it's not pure ASCII and so can't be correctly displayed in-game. (The "block" just substitutes for any unrecognized character.) Try using a straight ASCII text editor (like "Notepad") to create the text, then copy-paste it into your mod.

For more info, see this page for some of the various character codes: "Commonly Confused Characters".

You need to convert the "curly" apostrophes and quotation marks into standard ones. You can do a search and replace in a text editor or word processor to do that. Copy and paste one of the curly beginning quotation marks into the search field, and type a normal quote in replace, and replace all. Then do the same for the curly end quotation mark, and also for the apostrophe.

You need to convert the "curly" apostrophes and quotation marks into standard ones. You can do a search and replace in a text editor or word processor to do that. Copy and paste one of the curly beginning quotation marks into the search field, and type a normal quote in replace, and replace all. Then do the same for the curly end quotation mark, and also for the apostrophe.

Hm, I was not aware of that method, I simply learned my lesson after the first time and started using notepad to write my in-game books, the first time I went through and re-typed each punctuation mark that didn't appear right. Fortunately the story wasn't all that long.

Right. The same thing applies to any other punctuation that isn't present in the target font (whatever they're using in-game), such as em dashes (replace with "--") or ellipses (replace with "...").