Dunmer Lore

Edg3k

I have been speaking to a few people about this topic and we're all stumped.

Looking over the history of the dunmer we never get a clear picture about what kind of people they are.

My opinion is that they are soft of a nomadic people, weapons loose garbs and elven style armor, BUT looking back at Morrowind we see many weapon a robe/elven style armor.

The question i have is, what is their real life counterparts? We know the blades are samurai inspired, the redguards are Muslim inspired, imperials are roman, so where does do the Dunmer fall into this. Ive read countless pages about their history but I cant pin it down. I read one place that they were nomads who herded giant bugs, but then again as a splinter cell of other elven creatures you see them wearing golden armor thats very High Elf like.

Have any of you lore buffs got any input for me? If so, please share and I'll make you cookies!

How come I could never find that page. I always got thrown back to Morrowind Lore.

So they are kind of normadic in a sense if they are covered by all those. Especially if you take into consideration the Arabian aspect. So i wasnt a million miles off.

How come I could never find that page. I always got thrown back to Morrowind Lore.

So they are kind of normadic in a sense if they are covered by all those. Especially if you take into consideration the Arabian aspect. So i wasnt a million miles off.

They didn't seem very nomadic in Morrowind.

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't seem very nomadic in Morrowind.

I mean after Morrowind. Im looking to have some custom armor made for Dark Elves and since its for Skyrim thats what Im aiming at. With their home basically gone they seem to be like that now. I remember them from Morrowind but you couldnt expect them to track the hundreds of miles across Tamrial in Ceremonial Armor.

• 2 weeks later...

Ive only played Oblivion before Skyrim so am not that familiar with the lore and i don't remember them being in Cyrodill apart from with mods. I always had the impression that the Dunmer were the High-elves but then i realized i had the names missed up.. (i liked the simple names from the Obvlion chargen rather then all this Bosmer and jazz.)

Judging from the architecture i see them as Dwarfs as they seem to build in stonework and underground and they are the only 'fantasy race' which isnt presented within the Elder Scrolls series.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Dwarves disappeared centuries ago, just suddenly disappeared, well thats what the lore says. I'm trying to get an idea for a set of armor you see. And since its for skyrim I want it to reflect their old and new culture. When leaving Morrowind due to the eruption of red mountain they wouldnt have carried heavy plated armor like they did in Elder Scrolls Morrowind, as moving in large convoys they would have needed to travel fairly light while staying protected.

From the remains of travelers found ingame they always seem to be dressed like merchants which is odd as they are a warrior/sneak thief race. Without a home a Nomadic feel to the armor which also reflected their original gear is what Im looking for.