Slavery

grannywils

Yea you posted a video that was some guy talking about a conspiracy theory. Not really that interesting to me.

It was already explained how the parties shifted. The KKK is conservative obviously. I don't care about names like Republican or Democrat, what matters is your actual views and actions. For a small example look at Theodore Roosevelt. He would be completely unelectable as a democrat today. He supported wide corporate and social reforms that would far exceed the left today.

Abortion isn't genocide. It doesn't have any cognitive function, how can you even consider it murder?

Maybe I am just deluded though and all the rappers are part of a evil liberal conspiracy.

EDIT: Sorry Aurielius, but nope.

Edited by marharth

Yea you posted a video that was some guy talking about a conspiracy theory. Not really that interesting to me.

It was already explained how the parties shifted. The KKK is conservative obviously. I don't care about names like Republican or Democrat, what matters is your actual views and actions. For a small example look at Theodore Roosevelt. He would be completely unelectable as a democrat today. He supported wide corporate and social reforms that would far exceed the left today.

Abortion isn't genocide. It doesn't have any cognitive function, how can you even consider it murder?

Maybe I am just deluded though and all the rappers are part of a evil liberal conspiracy.

Ummm....Teddy was a Republican.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

step by, step by,

Welcome to the fun house of the progressiv mind,

step by, step by.

See curiosities such as the Debate Barrier of the Conspiracy theory spell phrase.

Everything progressivs don't like but they can't refute gets a debate barrier. In this case, even this mainline republican conservative tells conspiracy theories when he tells mainline history. But keep talking about what conservative actions the KKK tokes because this just gives the facts i delineated more power and attention. :tongue:

tamujiin, thank you so much for your response to my opening remarks on this thread. You are correct if you truly believe that I did not intend any personal attack on you. In fact it was your remarks to me that lead me to believe that a new thread on the subject of slavery needed to be started. I did, however, believe that you perhaps might not have been aware of just how pandemic this crisis really is. I apologize if my use of the word "naive" sounded condescending. As you pointed out with respect to your grammar and spelling; the same holds true for me when I am typing something while thinking I may occasionally use the first word that comes to mind.

In any event, yes, you did say "in most parts of the world". However, I still disagree. It is my contention that slavery exists and flourishes in just about all parts of the world. You have pointed out that a number of countries "claim" to be free. Well, slavery is illegal, so I doubt that many are going to own up to it very readily.

I have been reading an article entitled Arrested Development, Discrimination and slavery in the 21st century. It opens with the following quotation from the UN Secretary-General, 2007:

"No individual, no community, and no country can remain silent in the face of this evil. Slavery is a problem for all regions and for all governments. it must be confronted nationally, regionally and globally. We should also seek to understand why and how slavery is so common in so 'civilized' an age. We have to recognize that endemic poverty, social exclusion and widespread discrimination allow this practice to fester. Slavery's practitioners thrive on the desperate, the dispossessed and the disadvantaged."

I am attempting not to create another wall of text, but want to provide some statistics for your perusal, as frequently people do not like to follow links. Here is a breakdown of who is responsible for forced labor in the world:

Private agents for economic exploitation: 7,810,000

The state or the military: 2,490,000

Private agents for commercial sexual exploitation: 1,390,000

Mixed: 610,000

The fact is that laws and standards against slavery worldwide have had some impact. They have led to a decline in the use of forced labor by governments, which are now only responsible for around 20% of the cases worldwide. Burma, China and North Korea still use the bulk of the forced labor by states. However, states seem to feel that once they have passed legislation their job is done and their obligations are over. Governments have not taken a proactive view towards ending this horrendous practice within their individual realms. It is fairly obvious to me that this is due to the fact that the practice of slavery is taking place in marginalized communities without a strong political voice.

I can go on and on and give you examples of slavery in Asia, Africa, South America, North America, Europe and the Middle East. Many of the latter three groups are migrant workers trafficked into a variety of jobs including domestic work, agricultural work, prostitution and factory work. They are frequently controlled by the removal of their documents and/or manipulation of their migration status. One example of a group attempting to help such slaves is The Poppy Project, which provides assistance to women trafficked into prostitution. It had 820 women referred to it between March 2003 and December 2007. Less than 3% of the women who were referred were UK nationals.

At any rate, this is just meant to be a very brief example of my point that slavery is thriving all over the world. So the original statement that slavery did not have diddly squat to do with today's times and was a thing of the past sort of set me on edge. And, as pointed out, this is in fact a debate forum, so I felt it incombent upon me to debate that point... :thumbsup:

Interestingly, although The Poppy Project state that less than 3% of women referred to them are UK nationals, I would think that the actual number of UK nationals trafficked would be far larger. At least two cases to my certain knowledge have recently come before the courts - nine men were convicted before the courts in Derby, local to me, for procuring young girls for prostitution, grooming and general sexual abuse, today another nine were convicted before Liverpool Crown Court for similar offences. In all cases the victims were, shall we say, from a particular demographic and the perpetrators from another. I point you to the BBC News Report;-

Rochdale grooming trial

Sadly the opening of EU borders has sent us back 200 years, in that we now have mobsters from the former Eastern bloc trafficking young girls from those countries (I suspect the Poppy Project and organisations like them pick up a lot of the pieces.)

It isn't just females though, in the vegetable growing areas of the East of England, gangmasters recruit workers of both sexes to live and work in appalling conditions, it has gone on for years, they get the workers on the (very) cheap.

That is my point.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

step by, step by,

Welcome to the fun house of the progressiv mind,

step by, step by.

See curiosities such as the Debate Barrier of the Conspiracy theory spell phrase.

Everything progressivs don't like but they can't refute gets a debate barrier. In this case, even this mainline republican conservative tells conspiracy theories when he tells mainline history. But keep talking about what conservative actions the KKK tokes because this just gives the facts i delineated more power and attention. :tongue:

Are you actually serious? I posted multiple links to KKK sites that show their agenda, which is clearly conservative. If you want to ignore that it is fine.

Your history is inaccurate. As I said before the parties have shifted. The Lincoln republican party is no where close to the current one. Ignoring that, MLK was not a republican, and rappers are not part of a evil liberal conspiracy to make you vote for a certain party.

For the MLK thing, he never supported any political party to my knowledge. He did support work unions and a number of other left wing things. Jesse Jackson, who he closely worked with, is a democrat.

Edited by marharth

That is my point.

Your point is that the parties have switched and a former Republican couldn't now get elected as a Democrat? I think you just undermined your own argument. The issues have changed and the way the parties have presented themselves have changed but the Democrats have always been about big government and racism.

Edited by csgators

Im sure the democrats have evloved past racism, that party is currently reperesented by a black man in office, who is running for office again this year, under the democratic ticket. Edited by tamujiin

That is my point.

Your point is that the parties have switched and a former Republican couldn't now get elected as a Democrat? I think you just undermined your own argument. The issues have changed and the way the parties have presented themselves have changed but the Democrats have always been about big government and racism.

You completely missed my point.

My point is that the entire political spectrum has changed. He is too far to the LEFT to be elected as a democrat. Not too far to the right.

That is my point.

You completely missed my point.

My point is that the entire political spectrum has changed. He is too far to the LEFT to be elected as a democrat. Not too far to the right.

I think he could be elected as a Republican today.