Super Mutant CAT Rig

thrax7545

Looking for a way to get CAT rigs for mutants and power armor in 3ds Max.

Does anyone know how this works? Do they have to be built, or can they be converted from hkx files or something? I'm not an animator, but I'm a quick study with some CAD and design experience. Pretty versed in deciphering software interfaces as well. I can find my way around 3ds Max without much difficulty, but not unless I see how something is done first.

I know there's not a lot of demand for this sort of thing, but it would be awesome to be able to make some poses and maybe some animations for them.

Any info on this topic would be awesome, and thanks in advance...

Edited by thrax7545

Nobody has still figured out how to parse certain hkx files in order to create 32 bit versions and fbx so we can open in max, skeletons being one of them. You can, however make your own rig.

The process involves converting to tagfile xml, fetching the sequence of bone names and feeding this into a max scene with a skeleton.nif and havok content tools. You'll also have to create dummy bones to fill in the blanks left by the nif, but the end result is a working skeleton, although not rigged by means of conventional biped/CAT.

I'm working on creating a PA CAT rig myself. I've got it in max and it imports and plays converted fbx PA anims just fine. The only thing I need to do is turning it into a CAT rig. As far as I know, noone has yet made 3rd person anims for power armor. Well not for much longer, hopefully.

Here's a site to get you started.

This should get you half-way, at least. The only step it doesn't cover is converting an existing rig to CAT.

I just finished setting up the cat rig templates for power armor and exported animations are working in-game. There's a few things I want to iron out in terms of ease of access on the template, but the rig itself is complete and ready to use. Send me a PM for the templates if you don't want to wait for the nexus release ;)

I just finished setting up the cat rig templates for power armor and exported animations are working in-game. There's a few things I want to iron out in terms of ease of access on the template, but the rig itself is complete and ready to use. Send me a PM for the templates if you don't want to wait for the nexus release :wink:

Pretty cool, I'll be able to possibly have working 3rd person power armor animations for my gun mods now. Looking forward to the public release for sure.

I'm just finishing a pose mod, and was hoping I could get into the super mutant component in time for release, but this is something I will have to take some time chipping into, and wait for an update.

Kudos, on your project though, I know that'll be a big asset to the community...