Brown Face is back

SirDanest

Man, I thought this problem was a thing of the past, but the brown faces are back. Worse, it seems to have somehow "infected" every save game, going all the way back to the start in vault 111.
I'm using cbbe and looksmenu compendium. I've played a long time and it's only just started now, but nothing has been changed since the beginning. I can't see why it would start suddenly, and then retro-actively contaminate every old save game.
I've been googling all day for answers. I'm not using the hd dlc, I've tried rebooting, re-installing and verifying the cache and have been searching for fixes, to no avail.
Did anyone ever find a sure fix for this? It looks like it's just one of the great unsolved mysteries.

Not an expert on this bug, but the "retroactive" part is quite easy to explain: Texture issue. Textures aren't stored in the save games. So if you change e.g. face textures (or something in your game decides to not "like" a certain texture any more), all characters will get a new look (or a new brown face) according to the textures currently installed.

Since you say it only started recently: Did you update Looksmenu after the last patch of Fallout 4 and the update for F4SE? There is a new version out now.

Another thing you can try: Test with different face textures. So far I never had issues with the standard CBBE, neither did I have any problems with "Valkyr" and "Natural female". Other textures - especially 2K ones, gave me an occasional brown face...

Oddly, what worked was not just re-installing the textures like I had hoped would work, but uninstalling the face/body textures, loading the game, saving it and quitting, and only then re-installing the textures. No problems since then.