Best custom armor mod pipeline in 2018?

I have created a mod before, modeled and textured from scratch but it was an extremely long and painful process. Because there was no resources on how to do it, I came up with something crazy that looked something like:

extracted fallout 4 nif body -> 3dsmax -> blender 2.49 -> blender 2.7 (most modelling and texturing done here) -> blender 2.49 -> 3dsmax -> outfit studio (applying weights) -> nifskope

And even then then, I couldn't find a way to rig/skin the first person model properly.

Now that we're in 2018, what's the better workflow for creating custom armor? I strongly prefer blender, but if it works easily in 3ds max, please let me know.

Edited by sepharis

Y r u going thru Blender and then to 3ds max? If its just armor/clothing from Blender, finish up using outfit studio. I have done that for my custom holster which can be consider as armor. I only do Blender to 3ds max when I wanna add collision.

Thanks for the resources, they're very helpful. I did some more research and discovered the blender-outfit studio workflow hidden in a reddit thread as well. The reason why the initial workflow was so complex was because I was following a guide that was adapted from skyrim perhaps? It was early days so no-one was really sure on best practice.

I will do 3ds max for the next one if it doesn't require nifskope. Is that the case? Cause that Maya one still requires nifskope

Edited by sepharis

If its just armor/outfit, use whatever 3D program you r comfortable and then output your model as obj/fbx before finishing up with Outfit studio. Nifskope is useful if you wanna finetune things, eg. the material file is wrong or wet material is missing or just wanna check everything is okay.