SKSE64 not running sometimes

hielkeskyrim

So, sometimes I get the message that my SKSE64 is not running. Not always though, which is the weird part. The issue started yesterday and I've been playing on this save for a couple of days now.

When I do get the SKSE64 not running message, I have to restart the game which takes rather long since I run a lot of mods.

Is there a fix for this? Do you guys experience the same sometimes?

Um....are you accidentally hitting the SkyrimSE.exe instead of the SKSE64 launcher?

Unless you create a custom launch - NMM and probably other mod managers just launch the vanilla skyrim.exe

If you accidentally load up from inside Steam, like right after a Steam Update or going to your library from another game or whatever - that will launch the Skyrim.exe instead of the SKSE64 launcher. I think you can put in a custom link in the game settings to direct it to the 64 launcher instead to fix this.

If you go in from Nvidia's gaming home page thing, that definitely only launches vanilla. I don't think it can be fixed.

Might be the case, but I feel like its happening random. Example: I have played the game and encountered something mod related that I want to change. I exit the game, change the mod, restart the game. And then SKSE64 does not work, not always. Feels really random.

Did some testing, it seems like when I start the game and leave it in the main menu for a couple of minutes (when I'm getting tea or something) and then enter the game, then my SKSE does not function (even with steam running).

Besides this instance, even when I enter the game directly there is a small chance SKSE64 is not running. Anyone else has any idea why this is happening? My SKSE64 is up to date.

So...how are you determining that it's not running?

I mean...are you typing "getskseversion" from the console and getting a response that leads you to believe it's gone?

Mods requiring SKSE that suddenly decide not to work could be a problem with that mod/those mods and not with SKSE.

When you press the escape key to bring up the menu where you can look at Quests and System and all that, is there no SKSE version number at the bottom left of that window?

-----

The only thing I can think of is that it kinda sounds to me like something (memory manager? game optimizer? antivirus software?) is pulling down SKSE64.

...Things I would try...and if you're going to troubleshoot, I'd try ONLY one of these at a time:

1. Uninstall SKSE64 *completely* and reinstall it *manually* (bypass your mod manager, it doesn't count towards your mod list anyway) to your data folder and the main directory.
I don't think you'd have any mods that would have overwritten SKSE64's script files, but I could be wrong. As you copy in the reinstalled scripts though, pay attention to *each* overwrite. If you're just overwriting SKSE's scripts, the file dates should be the same. If some mod replaced one of SKSE's scripts, the file dates will be different.

See if that fixes the problem.

If not...

2. Maybe look into disabling your antivirus software while playing Skryim. Some of the hook functions of SKSE might, I suppose, be considered "fishy" by AV software set on "high alert" (?) - that one's a long shot though...still might be worth trying. I'd do the clean install of SKSE first in any case.

3. Along the same lines, some memory managers or game optimizers might theoretically "kill" a process that SKSE needs, but that should only be an issue if you're actually using one, and feels like even more of a long shot than #2.

Other than that, I'm pretty stumped too.

If SKSE has ever decided to just stop working on me, I've not noticed it. I think that would make SkyUI cease to function immediately, and I'd definitely notice that rather major change to my interface.

When the problem occurs: I get a message from SkyUI and other SKSE64 dependent mods that SKSE64 is not running. When going into inventory (SkyUI not working) it is extreamly slow and thereafter my game crashes (obviously).

Therefore, getskseversion does not detect anything. Same goes for the version number in quest menu. This is in 75% of the time solved by a simple restart of the game. Not a major issue but sometimes very annoying since starting up my game takes at least 1,5 minute.

1. Nothing can be overwritten (I think) since I'm using MO2 and I would have known if there was a conflict. But I will try installing manually.

2. I'll check that out.

3. I'm not using a memory manager or game optimizer. I was told these are not needed for SSE, I had one for Oldrim tho.

Might be the case, but I feel like its happening random. Example: I have played the game and encountered something mod related that I want to change. I exit the game, change the mod, restart the game. And then SKSE64 does not work, not always. Feels really random.

Very likely could be your problem. Installing, uninstalling, or updating mods mid game is not recommended unless the mod author states that it is okay. Doing this has the very real potential to break your game; either immediately or down the road.

I never ever adjust my mods mid game. But I do think you are right. I have a couple of issues with cloud/saves/loads in general.

These are my issues:

1. When midgame:

- Press ESC

- Press Load

The game refreshes this tab twice (which is weird)

2. Last week my saves got split in half (so now I have my characters name multiple times in the list)

3. When quick loading, my fps sometimes gets locked at 30 fps (looks like safe corruption maybe). I try to avoid it and load via the load tab described in point 1.

Any idea how these issues are related to my SKSE issue? And how this all can be fixed? :)

The first thing I always try when my game suddenly starts going weird on me in the middle of a play through is to validate my esm files. Which is slightly different than verifying your game files.

First delete the appcache in the Steam folder. Then delete your Skyrim.ini and SkrimPref.ini in your Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition folder. Then shut down your computer for about ten minutes. Start up your computer again and verify your game files, launch your game from the Steam launcher to create your two ini files.

You will have to clean your four esm files again and if you made any changes to your SkyriPref.ini file will have to put those changes in again.

I am not saying that this will solve your problem but there is a good chance that it will. It is always the first thing I try before going on to more time consuming measures if this does not work.

I doubt if your issues are related to SKSE64 although you could reinstall the app just in case. More likely they are related to what seems to be your habit of reloading without exiting the game, thus FUBARing your saves. It is alright occasionally but making a habit of it is going to corrupt your saves.