We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Open Community  ·  576 members

Stardew Valley

Mod Help: Viewing/editing .xnb dialogue mods on a Mac

Lymmea

So I'm not really a modder, per se, nor am I looking to make any mods of my own; I genuinely don't know the first thing about modding. But I like mods that tweak the dialogue of certain characters, the bachelors in particular. The problem, of course, is that you can only use one at a time. So naturally, I'd like to be able to compare the dialogue between mod files to determine which one is closest to what I want. It'd be even nicer to tweak the dialogue for my own personal use; some of the dialogue mods I have now include things like, say, pet names, that are way too cutesy or silly for my taste.

The problem is that I don't know of any good way to get into .xnb files without using Wine, which I'm...really not too experienced with. I've looked into tutorials, but most seem to be geared towards people who really know modding and are looking to do way more complicated things with .xnb files than just wanting to get in and read/edit a text file. And, of course, using a Mac adds an unfortunate extra layer of complexity. Is there any relatively simple way I can do what I want to do, or do I have to just put up or shut up here? It just feels like the amount of programs, file navigation, and tech savvy required are pretty daunting considering how little I'm actually trying to DO.

Did you read this guide already: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s5cEf7NLvJ6iIu6kh1oRGKE-Uw25Aak0xs2S5_MA9to/edit ?

It's written for beginners to do the most basic stuff, like editing dialogues. It uses XnbNode to convert .xnb files into readable and editable text files. I'm just not sure if it also works on Mac, since I'm using a Windows computer. If not, I could send you the converted text files so you could at least read them, but you'd still need a program to convert them back after editing.

Edited by bombastick1

Yeah...the primary problem with XnbNode, XNBExtract, and similar programs is that they're .exe files, which don't actually work on Macs. The only way to run .exe files on a Mac is to go through a program like Wine (which I don't know how to use much at all) or CrossOver(which I do somewhat know how to use, but doesn't always work). I was mostly wondering whether there was a comparable program to XnBNode or the like that's in a file format that can run natively on a Mac.

As it happens, though, I was in fact able to get XnBNode working through CrossOver. Still a little more complicated than a native Mac program, but a lot less hassle than I feared. (And the worst case scenario would it have been flat out not working at all.) So I've figured out how to edit and re-convert things! All I have to do now is make sure they actually work as intended, but I don't see why they wouldn't. Thanks for the advice, though!