Computer has problems, after installing Morrowind

Proximitus

As the title implies, my PC occasionally freezes or shuts down for no reason. This began to happen after I installed Morrowind and the Morrowind Overhaul mod. I'm also playing skyrim at decent quality, so I don't think that it is my video card or something..

Anybody knows what to do to discover what it the problem is?

As the title implies, my PC occasionally freezes or shuts down for no reason. This began to happen after I installed Morrowind and the Morrowind Overhaul mod. I'm also playing skyrim at decent quality, so I don't think that it is my video card or something..

Anybody knows what to do to discover what it the problem is?

What are your PC specs, especially the graphics card, cpu, and power supply unit?

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Ati Radeon HD 3800 series

Couldn't find the exact info on the PSU, but this is the adapter:

http://www.valexonline.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=1007

Don't know wich other specs you need to know?

Don't know if it is of any help, but here is s screenie of my sensors, made with SIW program:

Edited by Proximitus

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

Ati Radeon HD 3800 series

Couldn't find the exact info on the PSU, but this is the adapter:

http://www.valexonline.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=1007

Don't know wich other specs you need to know?

Don't know if it is of any help, but here is s screenie of my sensors, made with SIW program:

Is it a laptop?

If so, I don't think I'll be able to help since I'm not familiar with the common problems.

Edited by Rennn

No it's not, it's a desktop. It's an Acer Aspire M3710, but the specs that show on different sites isn't correct..

That adapter says it's for an HP Printer...

Is it really hooked up to your PC? I can't say for sure if that's a problem, but it just seems odd to me that a printer adapter is being used when I wasn't aware that any desktop PCs needed adapters at all. That's why I thought you had a laptop when you mentioned it. As I said, I can't see your PC so I have no idea if it's hooked up in such a way that it would be a problem. For all I know, it's really hooked up to your printer and you just saw the wrong cord when you checked the outlet.

As for Morrowind, it seems unlikely that it's really causing that many problems. It's coded inefficiently, and it looks to me like your cpu is responsible for the low performance. Skyrim uses 4 cores naturally, whereas Morrowind uses only 1, so it's not surprising you get better performance on Skyrim than on Morrowind with MGSO. However, all the changes that MGSO made to your PC should be safely contained in the Morrowind folder, and it should be impossible for the game or the mod to actually affect your computer on their own.

Does your PC crash only when playing Morrowind, or at random times when you're not even playing a game?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah you're right, my mistake! I mistook the printer cable for the psu... Stupid me!

Anyway, I made a picture of the CPU that's in my pc, I hope you speak Korean :P

I think that's your PSU, lol.

More seriously, the most common source of random shut-downs is a failing power supply unit. It can also be caused by faulty RAM, and in rare occasions it can be caused by an old BIOS or by old drivers. It's 2:00 AM here, and I'm just about brain-dead for the night, so I'm going to leave it at that. Now that you have four possible culprits, I'd Google how to check your RAM and drivers first and foremost, since that's simplest.