Quick question about copyright and youtube

DeadlyVaccine

I'm planning on doing an oblivion let's play, I actually already posted a video before I thought about it. Mostly went ahead and decided to post it because of all the skyrim content on youtube, but I wanted to be sure, get the communty's opinion first, and see if anyone was interested in watching it. I want to be sure that i'm not doing anything illegal by posting it. I make sure to credit bethesda in the description, and credit the modders, not by name, but I can always do that if need be. I'm doing it with FCOM, never really seen a let's play focusing on that. So, what does the community think, is it legal? And if so, is anyone interested? I'm not a youtube partner, and even if I was i'd definitely want to make sure I acquired bethesda's permission if I bothered monetizing it at all.

• 2 weeks later...
Considering that there are already a range of Youtube videos on Oblivion, including walkthroughs, I don't think you have anything to worry about. However, if you intend to add FCOM, I think you should make a point of giving credit in the video and in any accompanying subtitles to each mod. It's reasonable courtesy.

What do you mean when you say "monetizing" it? Charging money? I think you'd better get Bethesda's permission for that and any modders/author's involved because Bethesda firmly says about their modding that all mod content is essentially theirs ... although done by fans, it is their construction set and their models & textures and we do it with their provision.

I also have a Let's Play of Oblivion on Youtube...

It is perfectly legal unless you intend to use some copyrighted song in your intro or something.

Game videos are okay even with youtube partnership because your "promotion" makes people buy it=company gets cash. Thats why companies like CD Projekt invited one of the most famous lets players (Jesse Cox) to visit their place because they liked his Withcer 2 PT.

But putting that aside: If you want to use something like linkin park or lady gaga as background music? You will most likely have video removed by vevo. (now im repeating what Kasz said)