Want to make animated door

Killjaeden

Hi, i'd like to make an animated door. Something like a heavy vault door usable for treasuries or something like that.

I'd like to have a similar open mechanism like the "dragon claw"-door where you have to position rings and then put in the key, just instead of those big rings it shall be a normal combination lock.

I know how to make models/animate them, but where should i start to look regarding bringing the animated object ingame? I've only seen stuff about character animation, not sure if that is the right way - any input? And how would it work with those rings (or combination lock in my case) ? I guess they have to be seperate objects, but how do i move them in conjunction with the door when opening?

Edited by Killjaeden

I just made a simple custom animation for a door whose mesh I also edited. Basically, I just studied the NiControlManager and the NiControllerSequences and everything attached to them and figured out what I needed to change to get it to do what I wanted. For a door they are usually seperated into 2 sequences "Open" and "Close" which just automatically animate when the PC activates the door.

It might be helpful for you to study a Dragon Claw door since they have the bit with the claw rotating which might be similar to your idea about a combo lock.

LB