Room Marker & Portal Confusion

LittleBaron

After searching on the wiki, the only instruction for making a room marker I can find is a single sentence that instructs me to click on the 'room marker mode' box shape icon at the top of the main CK window and then 'draw' my box in the render window.

Doing this seems to do absolutely nothing. I click on the room marker icon button, which remains depressed, then go to the render window, make sure it is 'selected' and make like I'm drawing a box (same thing I'd do to select more than one object) and nothing happens.

I have markers checked as visible under the view tab, and have also pressed F5 to fresh/restore everything before trying also.

It seems like when I originally opened my first SKYRIM cell in the render window, I could see the room markers and portal markers* but now I cannot see them and in the object list they are always pink, which means they are hidden (right?).

Anyone have an idea of what step or setting I am missing here? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

LB

*I could be mis-remembering though...

To show the rooms/portals... Under View, select Show/Hide Window, then click the box next to Portals and Rooms. Make sure you have Markers turned on in the render window or you won't be able to select the box.

I'm not sure this will help you if you're working on a new cell that doesn't have rooms. However, when I've edited cells that already had rooms, I just selected an existing room and duplicated it, then repositioned and resized it as needed. There's probably a better way, but I felt this method allowed me to align everything easily.

After searching on the wiki, the only instruction for making a room marker I can find is a single sentence that instructs me to click on the 'room marker mode' box shape icon at the top of the main CK window and then 'draw' my box in the render window.

Where's the wiki article that tells you that? It needs to be changed.

I can create room markers the same way I create primitives. I select everything I want to be in my "room", then click on the room marker button. That will draw a room marker that contains all the objects that I selected.

Here's the wiki page on Rooms & Portals that I found: http://www.creationkit.com/Bethesda_Tutorial_Optimization

This one has a bit of info too... http://www.creationkit.com/Room_Bounds_and_Portal_Basics

Edit... I assume this is the page you found: http://www.creationkit.com/Editing_MultiBounds

I think there probably needs to be a link on both this page and the one above it (Room Bounds and Portal Basics), to the first page I mentioned. There's no direct way to get from one to the other (not that I could find anyway).

Edited by kryptopyr

@ Both kryptopyr and fg109: Thank you both for helpful responses. The 'Show/Hide Window' was something I just thought was for viewing the various CK windows so I never even thought to look at it. Sure enough, room markers and Portals was unchecked. And the object selection technique is much easier than worrying you have the right 'centers' included in your room box.

I tried to give you each a Kudo but that feature of the nexus is currently borked. I will try to remember later. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

LB