Standalone retexures

bane009

You'd probably have to make a whole new weapon. Just make a complete copy of the armor pieces you wish to retexture, rename it(unique ID) and apply the new texture. That way you avoid overwriting the original texture. Hope it helps.

How would I go about doing that. I copy the armor in the creation kit but I can't find the item that I created in the Meshes or Textures BSA. Do I have to copy the file directly from the Skyrim Data files or am I missing a step? Can I copy it and find it in the creation kit after I copy the file in the steam/skyrim/data folder?

Well, I haven't used the Skyrim Creation Kit much, but in, for example, the creation kit for Fallout 3, all you have to do, is to make sure that your own textures and meshes is put in the steam/skyrim/data folder, ouf course under either meshes or textures. Here you make a new folder, call it what you want, and place the textures or meshes. Now you can use the mesh you created and apply it. But not the textures yet. First you'll have to create a new texture set(forgive me if I'm wrong about this, haven't done it for a while). Pick a random existing one, rename it, and apply the new texture found under steam/skyrim/data/textures/modname. Press OK, and accept that you have created a new form, and now you should be ready to return to the armor you wanted to make. Apply the mesh, and chose the texture set you just made(remember to give it a unique name, as there's a lot of different texture sets) right under the button where you choose meshes.

Once again: I haven't worked a lot with the Skyrim Creation Kit, so maybe there's another way to do it.