Creation Kit Only Allows Script to be Saved Once Per Load

Haravikk

Wasn't sure whether to post this as Skyrim technical support or mod troubleshooting, but opted for here as it seems more modding related as it's the Creation Kit. Please let me know if this is the wrong place!

The issue I'm experiencing is incredibly frustrating; basically each time I load my mod in Creation Kit, it will allow me to save one, and only one, script, whether new or edited it doesn't matter. After this all future attempts to save a script will result in the following error:

Unable to write source to temporary location

or

Unable to create or write temporary file for compilation

Or slight variants of this. The first message is actually misleading as I can save the source just fine, it just won't compile. At this point I have to close down Creation Kit and reopen it before I can save one more script, rinse and repeat. Needless to say, if I have to do this every time it's going to approximately 83 billion years to complete a simple mod!

Any ideas why this might be happening?

I'm running Creation Kit through Mod Organizer 2; I've used it with Mod Organizer 1 in the past without issues, but have had to upgrade as MO1 won't seem to connect to the Nexus anymore. Are there any fixes or workarounds I can use to prevent this issue?

CK and SKSE were both installed via Steam.

It seems this may be an issue with Mod Organizer 2 though, and use of its overwrite folder, I've reported the issue on Github here.

I have however discovered a workaround; since the issue appears to be specific to saving into the overwrite folder, it's possible to bypass it by editing the executables list in order to set Creation Kit to save files directly into a specific mod folder. This setting is profile specific, so what I'm doing is creating a profile for each mod I'm working on, which has the side benefit of not having to move new files from overwrite, but also of speeding up CK's load times since each profile only has the bare minimum mods enabled. So now CK loads in seconds rather than minutes on an SSD, so the bug has been a blessing in disguise.