Interview with an eight yr old

Glhadiator

Hmmm...I don't know....She is rather young....my youngest is 10 years old and I would feel very uncomfortable if she were playing Skyrim, is a little too graphic and violent for me to feel alright about it....just feel uncomfortable with the idea myself. Edited by StayFrosty05

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...I don't know....She is rather young....my youngest is 10 years old and I would feel very uncomfortable if she were playing Skyrim, is a little too graphic and violent for me to feel alright about it....just feel uncomfortable with the idea myself.

How is it too graphic? She'd be seeing worse violence on TV then on Skyrim. And at least Skyrim doesn't have sex scenes. It would be much worse to leave a remote along with a kid than Skyrim and people do that the whole time. Anyway, kids can handle seeing violence when it isn't real, I think you're underestimating the maturity of kids.

-And eleven year old that makes people on the internet think he's much older than he is.

Hmmm...I don't know....She is rather young....my youngest is 10 years old and I would feel very uncomfortable if she were playing Skyrim, is a little too graphic and violent for me to feel alright about it....just feel uncomfortable with the idea myself.

How is it too graphic? She'd be seeing worse violence on TV then on Skyrim. And at least Skyrim doesn't have sex scenes. It would be much worse to leave a remote along with a kid than Skyrim and people do that the whole time. Anyway, kids can handle seeing violence when it isn't real, I think you're underestimating the maturity of kids.

-And eleven year old that makes people on the internet think he's much older than he is.

Sex is wrong but violence is fine?.... :huh: ....we will have to strongly agree to disagree on that....And as a part time worker mum for the last 18 years (working only within school hours), I have remained very aware of what my girls have watched on TV....I go by the 'when' I feel is right for each of them as to what my girls are watching/playing, but there are certain ages for certain viewings, etc...I draw the line at....such as graphic be-headings, graphic cut scenes and RPing murderers, thieves, etc....

Edited by StayFrosty05

Sex is wrong but violence is fine?.... :huh: ....we will have to strongly agree to disagree on that....And as a part time worker mum for the last 18 years (working only within school hours), I have remained very aware of what my girls have watched on TV....I go by the 'when' I feel is right for each of them as to what my girls are watching/playing, but there are certain ages for certain viewings, etc...I draw the line at....such as graphic be-headings, graphic cut scenes and RPing murderers, thieves, etc....

So even thievery is too bad for you? They are just watching people steal in a show/movie and the thief always gets caught at the end. Honestly, you're a bit over-controlling. Maybe seeing be-headings could be disgusting for them and give them nightmares but seeing blood and a small bit of gore never does anyone any harm. And even if they got nightmares from seeing it in movies, seeing it in Skyrim wouldn't because Skyrim doesn't look like real life, movies do. I can understand stopping them from seeing horror movies and stuff like that but thievery and a small bit of violence? That makes no sense unless the child is like 5.

So even thievery is too bad for you? They are just watching people steal in a show/movie and the thief always gets caught at the end. Honestly, you're a bit over-controlling. Maybe seeing be-headings could be disgusting for them and give them nightmares but seeing blood and a small bit of gore never does anyone any harm. And even if they got nightmares from seeing it in movies, seeing it in Skyrim wouldn't because Skyrim doesn't look like real life, movies do. I can understand stopping them from seeing horror movies and stuff like that but thievery and a small bit of violence? That makes no sense unless the child is like 5.

Since when is Thievery a good thing?....Funny you should accuse me of being over controlling since my house is constantly besieged with children, as apparently I'm laid back and fun...but I have lines drawn and graphic violence for the younger is one of them....As for your argument, your youth is showing, if you are going to debate you need a much more solid and thought out base and don't ignore points you find uncomfortable....I will respond if you decide to put forward a stronger case.

• 3 months later...

Personally, I don't think you need to be too mature (18+) to play a lot of the M games. I mean, I'm sorry, but when someone on a forum or in a bog says something about how violent video games instill a violent behavior, and violent games create a number of our world's criminals, I just laugh inside. I mean, I guarantee there are tons of people who play Skyrim, which is rated M, but I can't say I saw a headline on the news like 'Guy In Steel Armor Kills Random Street Pedestrian With Greatsword'... it doesn't really harm you, people. And, I'm very certain that the guys who say violent video games make you violent are the same guys who think SpongeBob SquarePants makes you dumber if you watch it. :dry:

The problem is, if you say you think the rating can be disregarded, you're considered to be a bad parent, and you are giving your children too much freedom. But, if you enforce the rating, and don't let your kids play it, then you are called harsh, and over-protective. Just pick which one you follow, and don't mention it. Save yourselves 20 people ranting about a pointless cause. This is just my opinion, and I'm just throwing it out there, to the above poster. I'd say, let your kid(s) play a game that you're worried might make them a little uneasy. They may surprise you. Kids today don't budge very easily. And, if they get nightmares and are afraid to touch the game, then they won't touch it anymore. Kids know when they're doing something they shouldn't, and if it's also something they don't want to do, then they'll willingly give it up. I can't see why they'd want to play a game they hate that gives them nightmares... But, only experience will tell whether or not they can handle it.

Edited by BeastlyBeast