Glowing Eyes Visor For All Power Armour. Is This Possible?

Uziumi

I just had a quick look and I can see that the visor/eyes of the other helmets are all one piece with the main helmet. Hmmm. would be easy if they used a separate mesh or separate texture.

Sry, I'm not sure how to do that, I dont have any 3D editing software

Yeah.

It's all on the same, but where the visors either shading or alphas or anything is, I've only managed to be able to change the colouring of the area, but I can't seem to make it glow or somehow bright up in the dark no matter what I tried.

Sounds like you know what you are doing. You could attempt to import a separate object and fit it to the visors, its fiddly but it can be done with nifskope. Once you have aligned it and scaled it correctly, you then need to add the correct skeleton info so it moves with the head. The X01 eyes do have their own mesh named Headlamp, so importing that and scaling it might work for at least one other helmet. The skeleton data should hopefully already work for that one.

Once that is done, you could assign it a custom materials set of textures that includes a glowmap. If you have Material Editor a free tool from Nexus, you can add he textures you want and making a glow colour and power is done with the Emittence option.

Its best to open a material file that already has a glow map, like Glowing Fungus to see how its done.

Find the texture for the helmet you want to change.

If you want transparency: Delete the visor part of the texture you want to make glow. Fill it back in with a new "layer" in PS or GIMP and use a certain percentage of the "Fill" or "Opacity" so it can be somewhat transparent. I suggest around 25%. Save your DDS with Alpha properties (BC3 IIRC).

Make a new texture from that texture with the visor part all in white or gray (depending on how strongly you want it to glow) and everything else in black. Save that in BC1 format.

Open the BGSM material file for your helmet/visor. Make sure Environment Mapping is unchecked. In the Materials tab add a link to the glowmap you've just made under Glow Texture. Make sure Emittance Enabled is checkmarked and pick the color you want it to glow from right below the checkbox there. Also make sure Glowmap is checked. Save the BGSM.

This should be all you need to do. Good luck. :)

Damn, I think I was close. I used Gimp and erased the visor at like 60% opacity then copied the original texture with the solid visor and inverted the colors for the visor to be white and increased the contrast.

I edited the Material bgsm, added the Glow texture I'd made, checked Emittance and Glowmap and packed it into a BA2 to test in game. but got nothing.

I didn't save the glow texture a BC1, it was BC3, and didn't uncheck environment Mapping.

I'm glad I got this info, I'm personally not trying to make this mod but I got stumped looking into it when I thought it would be easy and couldn't figure it out, then spent too much time on it coz to me, it's like a puzzle I want to solve. haha