What is the make up of a leader? What makes them real?

kvnchrist

I've heard a lot about this and that character being a hero or heroine. Is breathing the Alpha and Omega of any heroic person? Did they begin this way? Where they born the person who they are or are they made into this unique individual?

Are these people driven by a desire for glory or did they find themselves in a situation, where they became fed up with the B.S. and took charge of the situation. Were they placed into a position of authority or did they find themselves in a situation that required an authority figure.

What lies in the deepest place of the heart of a true leader? Is it those he leads? Is it those he let behind? Is it the loss of someone who died in the hands of those he/she now fights?

What demons does a leader keep inside them. Taring at his/her soul and driving him/her on to what fate has in store to him/her? What will make a reader adopt his/her struggle and make them want to follow his/her exploits to the bitter end. What makes this individual believable and how will his/her passing bring tears to the eyes of those who follow?

Is a leader a hero or a hero a leader, even if there is no one to lead? Can there be leadership without the ability to sacrifice for the goal they've set?

I could spend a day answering this ... so here's my short version ... a leader is anyone who has a follower/s ... and thus it stands to reason that this "leader" has a vision which the "follower/s have bought into.

From this point onwards their submission to the vision would normally determines the "colour" of their character and the "nature" of their actions.

I could spend a day answering this ... so here's my short version ... a leader is anyone who has a follower/s ... and thus it stands to reason that this "leader" has a vision which the "follower/s have bought into.

From this point onwards their submission to the vision would normally determines the "colour" of their character and the "nature" of their actions.

So a tyrant who keeps people under the shadow of fear is a leader. I think not. Nothing stands to reason when dealing with human beings.

@Kvnchrist

You asked what made a leader not what made a moral or good leader. If one took the example of Genghis Khan , he was undoubtedly a great leader, whether he was moral or good depends largely on whose side you were fighting for, ask the Chinese and the answer is no, ask the Mongols and the answer is yes.

I'm sort of in the same thought as Nintii, a leader, regardless if "evil" or "good" in their overall goals only need to motivate people (followers). Motivation can be positive or negative, but a leader who cannot motivate people can't lead.

Where I separate is with the concept of "buy-in" as suggested by Nintii. I agree that it is a preferable method of motivation, it isn't specifically necessary. We tend to think that individuals follow based on belief systems, but people gain motivation from any number of reasons, not always that they agree with or even believe in the leader.

There is a saying in both of my chosen professions - heroes are people who get other people killed. Unfortunately, leaders also get people killed, but that doesn't make them a hero. Leaders (sometimes and in some jobs) must motivate individuals to do something that is inherently dangerous, but necessary for the achievement of a result or objective that is beneficial to the overall goals. That doesn't take a buy-in, it takes discipline, which is a form of motivation. A leader without discipline is not a leader, at least not for very long.

As far as the concept of individuals raising to the challenge, that is just not realistic in most cases. Yes, there are individuals who have leadership characteristics (both good and bad), but that only gets them so far. A leader can be liked or admired, but being liked only lasts for a short period as well.