Texturing Metals Not Working in FO4 (cubemaps)

I think you mess up the environmental map texture path, "Shared/Cubemaps/Emerald Cubemap_e.DDS". You cannot have a "blank" space. Use an underscore or something ...

Other than that things look okay. Same result as @ehtyeci, a darker/black diffuse if u want a more shiny chrome result.

Black diffuse:

hrmSsXA.jpg

The default diffuse map:

Q0xi3KO.jpg

Thank you guys for posting your results showing that there were nothing wrong with the files. After several hours of purging my data folder, reinstalling creation kit multiple times as well as and the entire game 2 times (which is 70+ GB :pinch: ) I figured out the problem and it works now!

Default cubemap:

pAyOK7Q.png

It also works in preview with no errors. The issue was having the game's cubemaps extracted from the archives as loose files which for some reason the game can't preview/load, giving those errors I posted previously (https://i.imgur.com/2Ucpnlv.png). Once I completely delete all the game's cubemaps and add whatever custom ones I have as shown below:

MBA5FDT.png

it works perfectly with the the custom cubemap (the blank space worked btw)

PgVERkz.png

Do you guys happen to know why this is?

Edited by Searcherz64

What did you use to extract the cubemaps?

I know that Archive2, even though it's the official tool, fails to append the correct DDS header on cubemaps when extracting from the vanilla texture archives. Not sure if it has anything to do with cubemaps being uncompressed ARGB_8888, but they're the only ones I've had issues with while using Archive2. BAE should unpack them correctly.

Also glad you got it sorted.

Oh I didn't realize the tool to extract them could be the issue - I've always had unquestioned faith in them haha. It was BSA Browser: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/17061/ . I just tried out BAE instead and using the extracted cubemaps work perfectly now.

Good lord, believe it or not I've spent about two weeks, day and night, figuring this out - absolutely brutal with the lack of resources out there.Maybe this thread will provide a much more in-depth and consolidated insight into some future modders who has trouble figuring out Bethesda's quirks. I can now finally focus on the modeling/texturing instead. Thank you guys very much for the help.

Edited by Searcherz64

• 3 years later...