intolerance of intolerance. Is it going anywhere and where will it lea

kvnchrist

Are people who hate people who hate others self absorbed, self righteous or self aggrandizing? Are stereotypes a means or a justification and how can these false images be refuted without the refuter defaulting to their own mental images of the types of people who use stereotypes?

In this day and age we are sometimes inundated with the term "Rights" but the precursor is always a subgroup of a group instead of the rights of any individual within that entire group to be treated equally with anyone else in that group. Is it not in the best interest of the entire group, as a whole to protect and defend anyone or any subgroup within the entirety of group lest the subgroup they're in be the next to be placed on the chopping block?

Is the simple fact that there are subgroups of groups within society make that society vulnerable to be fractured and why would we give ear to those who claim to want save society by separating it from itself? Do those who wish to lead society into a promised land actually have a promised land to take us or is it this just and image they delude us into believing because they know we would not believe in them?

When is a sanctuary an prison and a higher order of thinking or acting a more palatable means of promoting arrogance? When does all this and much much more begin to create something that is a benefit to everyone?

Personally, I find all this grouping nonsense to be rather pointless, on both sides of the issue. There's no real reason to put people in groups. People are people. People aren't black or white, stupid or intelligent, rich poor. Just people. But that's just a tangent I imagine this topic would eventually end up at.

As far as where the topic is now however, I find that the whole concept of "tolerance" and "intolerance" is rather stupid and from what I've seen just a way for closet bigots (or outright bigots) to maintain their own racist views without being ostracized in public. "I tolerate you" is just a fancy way of saying I think you're stupid, dumb, evil, and below me because your skin's darker than mine or because you don't mate with the same gender I do. And people who complain about "intolerance" only perpetuate the problem with their idiocy.

Truly the only way you're going to get rid of racism and general hate (thats what tolerance really is by the way, if I haven't made that clear already) is by getting everyone to recognize that skin color or gender preference doesn't mean anything to that individuals value as a member of our species. But unfortunately, that's hard as hell, and whats worse people who are on the receiving end of this crap usually don't help the matter much. I'm one of those unfortunate people who tried to explain that I was color-blind to a black man. I was told to go mate with myself because I was "ignoring" his ethnicity when not minutes before he was complaining because his ethnicity wasn't being ignored by the couple of drunk rednecks that harassed him earlier on.

I apologize to our intrepid Kvnchrist, as I truly did not understand your OP at all. However, based on the post by Imperistan I am guessing at what you intended.

Also based on Imperistan's post I will say that I pretty much agree with his thesis, as it is something I have been stating almost since I joined the Nexus. We are all human beings. Period. The End. The issue of "tolerance/intolerance" should not even be an issue. If we cannot recognize one another as fellow human beings on this earth and learn to live together as one species whether or not we love one another, I feel there is little hope for continued growth of this particular species.

It has been stated by scientists much brighter than I that we are not using one tenth of the capacity of our brains. I have no difficulty whatsoever believing this particular statistic. (I am not sure of the actual percentage, but I think it was around a tenth. Please don't rush to correct me. I'm probably using much less... :unsure: ) In any event, if we would just stop and use that tenth or whatever it is once in awhile we would recognize that it is in all of our interests to get along as a group, regardless of how we personally feel about specific individuals within the group.

For crying out loud, this is a fairly large planet, no one likes everyone. And trust me, not everyone likes you or me. So what. Get over it!! No one died and made any one of us boss. People are just human beings, just like you are; just like I am. What they look like, what they do when they go home, who they pray to or don't pray to is none of your dang business. Get a grip people. You don't have to tolerate anyone, just mind your own damn business! :armscrossed: :biggrin:

I encourage people to say what they believe, so if they don't tolerate it, then people would know. The world is HUGE, millions of people are on it, so not everyone will get along. I tolerate intolerance, because I don't care for it.

All these responses have merit. My one question is that with so much agreement that such things are B.S. why the hell can the politicians and political activists get away with using it to divide us and why are we letting them, in the first place.

If there's one lesson I've learned in my short 20 years on this planet, it is not to "judge a book by it's cover." I have many close friends that I would not have if I had followed societies "norms" about stereotypes and whatnot.

However, that being said, I will not attempt to befriend, say, someone that is a convicted serial killer that has been set free from prison (for some odd reason; just go with it). My brain tells me to stay the heck away from them, not think, "Oh, I'm sure their murderous habit has gone away."

On the other hand, I don't like people that take "intolerance of intolerance" too far. An example of this would be a radical feminist group. Now, I'm not talking about equal rights, which I am all for. I'm talking about the groups that believe that "all men are dirty animals" (which I've had said to me before), or that the planet would "be better off without the likes of your disgusting gender" (again, this has been said to me by a radical feminist).

Tl; dr: I'm all for equality, but not for "intolerance of intolerance." In other words, everyone on this planet should be treated equally, but when you go too far in the persecution of intolerance, you're no better than those that you disagree with in the first place.

If the above "Tl; dr" was too long here's something to sum it up: Equality =/= Harassment of wrongdoers

I have a very simple philosophy when it comes to people and it's this ... I love everyone irrespective until they give me a reason not to.

I start everyone off at the top.

This brings people down to a personal individual level and ignores stereotyping altogether, their sexual preferences, their race, wealth level, language, and so on ... now they stand or fall according to their

own character or personality.

The truth of it though is that race, sex, language, financial staus etc., is extremely useful when it comes to demographics.

This actually can go a long way in redressing wrongs or prejudice etc.

Also being intolerant of intolerance is itself falling into the same trap and is hypocrirtical ... figure it out ... so instead of just writing people off as being intolerant - whether it's the first or second level

of intolerance - find out why and if you can't fix it then leave it alone.

There's nothing worse than creating a law to MAKE me love you.

Just think of someone you've had a rpersonal relationship with that went sour ... got the person in mind ? ok good ... Now I'm going to pass a law that MAKES you love them ... I can see you

running already.

All these responses have merit. My one question is that with so much agreement that such things are B.S. why the hell can the politicians and political activists get away with using it to divide us and why are we letting them, in the first place.

Because not everyone is as intellgent as the few guys that come to the Debates forum on the Nexus. :happy:

Because not everyone is as intellgent as the few guys that come to the Debates forum on the Nexus. :happy:

Is it intelligence or is it that people here have a stake in being honest with themselves and the politicians have a stake in being dishonest with others. Also are those who these politicians cater to that delusional or are they just self centered enough to like what they hear?